24 Grams V 28 Grams?

Towngun

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

"Heading the ball hits you in the head, and recoil hits you in the shoulder"

On the issue of recoil do remember the reduction to 28 grams was on the basis of health. Also, watch a slow motion video of the impact of recoil on the whole body including the head. The brain is held in a fluid within the brain box. It is a valid debate to suggest recoil could have an impact on health just as it does in boxing and football.

• 2 weeks later...

Shoot what you are comfortable with. The best cartridge is normally the one which gives you confidence. It is difficult to buy a "bad " cartridge these days.

More clays are missed by human error, bad technique, poor gun mount and failure to read the target than by the "wrong" cartridge.

I use as light a load as will do the job, typically a 24g in 12 bore, 19 or 21 g in 20 bore and it has improved my scores and eased the recoil issue on a long standing shoulder injury.

Olympic skeet and Olympic trap are shot with 24g loads very successfully and an OT target is pretty tough by anyones standards but they seem to break well enough if the pattern is on them. Could be a clue there.

• 7 months later...

Sport-related concussion is a hot potato in the medical world. The issue/risk of recoil is recognised and was behind the drive to the reduction to 28 grams some years back. If you take a shooting video and then slow the speed you can then see the physical impact on the head following a shotgun blast. The brain in its natural state is a jelly like form - too soft to work with, but it can be hardened by immersion in alcohol.Common sense will suggest that reducing such an impact is a good idea. I don't know of any medical studies but remember there was a time when the risks of smoking went unrecognised. Thus common sense should suggest that a softer recoil - perhaps via 24 grams, may well have long term health benefits.

I use 21g whenever I can and it doesn't seem to effect my scores.....only my pocket.

How about 21g No 9's

I use 21g whenever I can and it doesn't seem to effect my scores.....only my pocket.

How about 21g No 9's

Perfect for skeet .

last sunday i used my usual 21g comp x for a 25 bird shoot then i used some 28g velocitys for my sencond round of 25 birds,

MASSIVE difference in my opinion!

the comp x are exelent on the recoil side and shoot loads better in my opinion where as the 28g gave my sholder a bit of a kick and i diddent hit as many clays on my second 25 birds!

my dad, my girlfriend and ODD TIMES (my 10 year old son) shoot the comp x 21's all the time,

at our local gunshop we pay £40.50 for a slab of comp x fibers, and me personally think theyre exelent! :good:

Recently started competitive clays shooting after a gap of several years. Bought a slab each of Saga 24g 7.5 & 9's for sporting & skeet a few weeks back. I have seen a near 10% increase in scores with them as against 28's. Makes one wonder.

I too moved down to RC 24's from RC 28's due to an injury and found my scores improving. Still shoot them now and my scores haven't regressed.

How much of that is down to it being softer and therefore easier shooting, allowing a more comfortable and relaxed shooting experience is, I still feel, a part of the debate.

• 6 years later...
On 25/03/2013 at 23:25, evo said:

£10 per 1000 cheaper ??? think i,d stick with the 28g

Considering the time input, the fuel, travel, stopping for a coffee, breakfast or whatever, shooting 24g carts instead of 28g in order to save money (totally about 25p saving per box) almost seems ludicrous.