Best quality puppy food?

Cosd

Can I ask what you would recommend as the best puppy food to go with for a 15 week old pup?

I'd like to keep away from tripe if at all possible, the breeder has recommended Purina pro plan large breeds puppy.

Within reason, cost isn't an issue.

Cos

How longs a piece of string. Have heard good reports about Eukanuba but can't see past Arden Grange personally. I buy it from Berriewood Wholesale, free delivery straight to your door within a couple of days.

It seems Arden Grange is a popular choice, so I'll probably go with that advice.

Being he is on Purina, would you recommend I get a bag of bothe Purina and Arden Grange, and mix the two so I ease him onto the new food?

I've read that a sudden diet change can upset them....

Edited by Cosd

It seems Arden Grange is a popular choice, so I'll probably go with that advice.

Being he is on Purina, would you recommend I get a bag of bothe Purina and Arden Grange, and mix the two so I ease him onto the new food?

I've read that sudden diet can upset them....

Personally if he is on Purina I would get a bag and start him on that so there is no change to diet then towards the end of the bag move onto the arden grange mix to start and gradually transfer. Some dogs are easier than others my current one you have always been able to feed her anything with no issues but some are not tolerant of changes in food

I would say feed him on purina pro plan , because I work for them and you will help keep me in a job :yes:

No other reasons I should use Purina then :|

Personally if he is on Purina I would get a bag and start him on that so there is no change to diet then towards the end of the bag move onto the arden grange mix to start and gradually transfer. Some dogs are easier than others my current one you have always been able to feed her anything with no issues but some are not tolerant of changes in food

Sounds a better plan than mine. Long journey, new house, new faces....at least if the food is the same he will have some sort of comfort.

Eukanuba puppy without question. The pups aren't on it that long so the cost is soon forgotten about.

When you price it up on a daily amount, you're talking pennies more, so you're right, it isn't that big a difference short term. But the question is, is it the best one?

No other reasons I should use Purina then :|

Sounds a better plan than mine. Long journey, new house, new faces....at least if the food is the same he will have some sort of comfort.

The purina foods seem to get slated by lots of people yet it seems lots of breeders use pro plan , especially for puppys , the lab I am getting is being fed on pro plan by the breeder .

At the end of the day there is no "best food" because what is best for one dog is not best for another , if my new dog does not look good on purina it will be fed on something else despite me getting a healthy discount, it does not matter a jot if the food you feed is £15 a sack or £40 as long as the dog is doing well on it.

Also dont think that your dog needs feeding on a high protien "working" type food , if you are out five days a week picking up rough shooting etc then yes , but one day a week sitting in a pigeon hide is not "working"

I can understand you wanting the "best" for your dog but sometimes it is just not needed, but certainly get him off to the best start as a pup.

The purina foods seem to get slated by lots of people yet it seems lots of breeders use pro plan , especially for puppys , the lab I am getting is being fed on pro plan by the breeder .

At the end of the day there is no "best food" because what is best for one dog is not best for another , if my new dog does not look good on purina it will be fed on something else despite me getting a healthy discount, it does not matter a jot if the food you feed is £15 a sack or £40 as long as the dog is doing well on it.

Also dont think that your dog needs feeding on a high protien "working" type food , if you are out five days a week picking up rough shooting etc then yes , but one day a week sitting in a pigeon hide is not "working"

I can understand you wanting the "best" for your dog but sometimes it is just not needed, but certainly get him off to the best start as a pup.

Many good points Fenboy, much appreciated; And you're right in that I just want to give him the best start possible. but it's a waste of time putting him on an athletes diet when he won't be using energy to match.

So far Ardenes is still looking most favourable.

one thing i look for in food is with not added ( ie with lamb and rice ) i think this way the food contains a lot more probiotic,natural ingredients,nourishment etc therefore less stools and a more healthy animal but thats my opionion and everyone's different