Hello "MONA"

Highbird70

Really appreciated Dave, Ty Sir

Very smart looking bitch mate, good luck with her training.

I have admired the Portuguese Pointer for many years and often wondered why they are not more popular in the UK, as they are a stunning breed. Careful with your words...the wrath of the LAbCockSpring gang will be upon you in no time :lol: :lol::lol:

atb

Dave.

You are right there mate :lol:

Although i do agree with 90% of what they say, having worked Labs and Spaniels most of my life they are the back bone of most of the work that goes on around the shoot (and i dont think i would be without one).

But i also appreciate an animal that can not only work differently but looks very good doing it.

My dogs have to be very versatile as i use them on many different types of work, HPR's are probably no better than conventional breeds and maybe are no more versatile, but they just do things differently and some people just dont like change.

But for me, i do like a variety, as i do in my sport :good:

What will you ultimately be using the pup for?

You are right there mate :lol:

Although i do agree with 90% of what they say, having worked Labs and Spaniels most of my life they are the back bone of most of the work that goes on around the shoot (and i dont think i would be without one).

But i also appreciate an animal that can not only work differently but looks very good doing it.

My dogs have to be very versatile as i use them on many different types of work, HPR's are probably no better than conventional breeds and maybe are no more versatile, but they just do things differently and some people just dont like change.

But for me, i do like a variety, as i do in my sport :good:

What will you ultimately be using the pup for?

Hi Dave C,

As I always say, I have nothing against the traditional breed, but I always worked pointers/hprs and I really like the way they work. I have worked PP before and liked them> Mona...hopefully will be a rough shooting dog, due to the fact that I dislike driven shooting, also PP are good water retrievers and would like to do a bit of wildfowling, but I can't pretend that a cockerel lays an egg, will see during the training, what will be her natural hunting skills and take it from there, my hope its that she will be a good all rounder...but I'm doubtful. I will start with the basic training next week and a lot of socializing...took her today to see sheep and lambs....she was not bothered at all by them...a little scent smell here and there but no interest in them. Next week we going to watch training and at the end of the lessons with the GSP/Vizlas, we will do some socialization.

PP are very placid and timid but ego to please the master, I will let the dog, just to be a puppy dog for a few weeks and to settle in the new enviroment and then while playing will introduce the basics, as long as I will train her correctly to sit-heel-here with vocal command-whistle-hand command, I will be very happy, my family MUST be able to control the dog, even for a simple walk in the park.

Having had Mona sitting on my lap I have to say she is absolutely adorable. I hope she turns out to be a great shooting dog for you....but as you say, if it didn't work out, you've got a gorgeous family pet.

As Ben said......looking forward to seeing her up to her tummy in Severn mud in the future ( retrieving your birds of course!)

Portuguese Pointer Breed Information Breed Group: Foundation Stock Service Weight: Male: 44-59; Female: 35-48 lbs Height: Male: 20-22; Female: 16-21 inches Color(s): light brown or yellow, with or without white markings Overview

Originating in Portugal in Royal kennels, the Portuguese Pointer is believed to have descended from dogs used by falconers in the 5th and 6th centuries. A popular hunting dog, this breed is considered to be extremely rare.

Character

The Portuguese Pointer is valued for its strong pointing, hunting, and retrieving instincts. A devoted hunting companion, this breed is an avid hunter over all types of terrain and in any climate. Portuguese Pointer's are used in the hunting of small and large game, particularly the gray partridge.

Temperament

The Portuguese Pointer breed is intelligent, faithful, attentive, and affectionate. They are excellent family companions that do well with children and other dogs.

wow mate what a stunning looking pup ........................have you seen the size of those paws .

highbird70 hope you don't mind me putting this info on

Gents....

Please don't get offended nor up tight, if I just say that I don't give a flying monkey what do you think its crossed with or looks like, Its my dog now and I will only do my best to treat, respect and keep the best way as I can.

If one day, will turn to be a decent gundog, it would be the cherry on the cake, if not....ohhh well, I will have a nice pet dog.

But Thank You WGD for pointing out the breed and I understand the other comments.

Well said!! enjoy your new four legged companion :)

Portuguese Pointer Breed Information Breed Group: Foundation Stock Service Weight: Male: 44-59; Female: 35-48 lbs Height: Male: 20-22; Female: 16-21 inches Color(s): light brown or yellow, with or without white markings Overview

Originating in Portugal in Royal kennels, the Portuguese Pointer is believed to have descended from dogs used by falconers in the 5th and 6th centuries. A popular hunting dog, this breed is considered to be extremely rare.

Character

The Portuguese Pointer is valued for its strong pointing, hunting, and retrieving instincts. A devoted hunting companion, this breed is an avid hunter over all types of terrain and in any climate. Portuguese Pointer's are used in the hunting of small and large game, particularly the gray partridge.

Temperament

The Portuguese Pointer breed is intelligent, faithful, attentive, and affectionate. They are excellent family companions that do well with children and other dogs.

wow mate what a stunning looking pup ........................have you seen the size of those paws .

highbird70 hope you don't mind me putting this info on I don't mind at all, thank you Hodge911, its an open forum, we all here to discuss and share our experiences and opinions (hunting wise...before some smart cookie...wants to share something else...lol) and Ty for the compliment, she as enormous paws....for paddling in the Severn :good:

Well said!! enjoy your new four legged companion :)Thank you Beerdeup and for the compliment too in your previous post :)

And I will be very happy to help you with this adventure Beeredup, like I have helped Cosd with his new adventure, I have got to know all...and I mean all European breeders, not all good but majority are helpful.

he he i might be tempted to increase the uk population of the breed when its time for my current dog to acquire a brother from another mother ;o)