neutering a cocker DOG

hi all.

was wondering if any one had any thorughts on if having your dog neutered could carlm him down a bit.

i do hear it makes them a bit more focused.

but then others say not diffrenence..

i do not intend to breed but others think he would be good to breed from.

dont know what to do. dont want to do it and it change him for the worse or somthing..

oh and he is 19months,

Had my cocker done at six months, it had no effect on his temperament at all! He is still wired to the moon.

I was more concerned about weight gain and it making his fur go frizzy. (The vets words not mine)

He is now 18 months old and pleased to say still no change.

I would change vets. Weight gain and furry coat are issues when a bitch is speyed.

And with all due respect, having a dog neutered at 6 months does not give any gauge on whether it affected his temperament because at 6 months you don't know what kind of dog he will mature into.

i thought as much.. i have got a few cockers and springers all working. and all hole.i have never had the need to do so i dont think i will.

and i feel i would reget it any way..

i does get a bit randy but nothing that makes me chase him round the feild.

he is out training all the time and do agree the more i do with him the better he is..

tahnks for your replys you have helped me make my mind up.

all the best

I would change vets. Weight gain and furry coat are issues when a bitch is speyed.

And with all due respect, having a dog neutered at 6 months does not give any gauge on whether it affected

his temperament because at 6 months you don't know what kind of dog he will mature into.

I should of changed after the first visit, she questioned me about his docked tail. And the best thing was the litter was docked at the same practice!!

I know that I will never know what his temperament would of been like unless he was left to fully mature.

I was just saying that it never changed it.

U can get straws now that u implant under dogs skin which must supress hormones like if the dog had been castrated but it will wear off after some time, but that should give u an idea if it would make any difference to him.

Like almost everyone has said it doesn't really have that much effect, training will have far more positive effect on him.<br />Also vet's should not really be carstrating dogs at 6 months of age dog still maturing and hormones all over the place, in theory the hormones will be left at puppy level probably the worst level u could leave them at, if there left till they have matured the hormanes have leveled out and better for dog

Edited by scotslad

I think you`ll find that testosterone levels are lowered to a point where aggression is negated

testosterone isn't the creation of all aggression issues, bitches suffer aggression also and their testosterone aint the issue! The most aggressive dog I have ever had the mis-fortune to ever own was a castrated terrier. Its a fact that competing males can be aggressive with each other but aggression cures from castration are usually less than effective

And with all due respect, having a dog neutered at 6 months does not give any gauge on whether it affected his temperament because at 6 months you don't know what kind of dog he will mature into.

got to agree with that ,, at 6 mths its still a baby ,, a spaniel will always be a spaniel regardless of cocker or springer they are bred in a way to be very active dogs and thats why we buy em !