Stealth nets

MBW

To be totally fair to them, the pigeons seem to be coming in ok without seeing them, so that's really all that matters.

I was thinking the same, the only point is that if the hide was more concealed, they would possibly have the birds coming in closer which would have increased the clean kill ratio. I like to concentrate on my hide and decoy pattern to get the birds into my kill zone to ensure as far as possible,a confident clean kill. Hypothetically, a good day for me would be 20 birds for 20 carts, and not 50 for 150 shells :yes:

I agree. I would feel naked sitting there behind that thin netting. I thought you liked that :whistling::whistling: :whistling:

This is my personal opinion, Yes the net does play a big role in the art of camouflage yourself....but, my dad always use to say to me....it don't matter if you hive in a bramble bush or behind a net...if you move they see you, I think what people most of the time go wrong its the "pre-excitement of the pigeon incoming to be shot movement", you sitting or standing in the hide....background its a MUST essential....you have a thin net, because of various reasons...you dressed up in camo...all ok till here.....you see a pigeon coming in......the trick is...stay still till the very last moment and try not to direct eye contact with the pigeon...animals in general are looking for the eye whiteball movement.

Exactly.....spot on.... :good: :good::good:

The birds were flaring just before the shot, so to me, the birds were seeing the shooter move.

IMO, a hide net is just a base for building a hide.

Will have to try the sitting naked behind the net idea now the weathers warming up :yes: do pigeons like worms? :lol::lol: BB

Right, thats me looking for another shooting mate :o :lol::lol:

The birds were flaring just before the shot, so to me, the birds were seeing the shooter move.

Blimey Chris, that must be a pain fitting that bush in your kit bag :lol::lol: Good hide :good::good:

Right, thats me looking for another shooting mate :o :lol::lol:

Blimey Chris, that must be a pain fitting that bush in your kit bag :lol::lol: Good hide :good::good:

:lol: cant fit much else in the jimny......... Like most things mate, you only get out what you put in :good:

Edited by chrispti

i was thinking exactly the same thing :good:

that net there using isn,t the original stealth net its a cheaper copy, i bought the original one when they first came on the market about 10 years ago and still using it to this day, at times you do need to put a bit of foilage on it or another net to back it up but with a good background use it on its own especially in summer

Yeah well said, the original netting is great and much thicker than a lot of the copies that are around now. Even the reputable well known companies are flogging the cheap stuff now and its rubbish in comparison, just like the stuff in the first video link.

The original is WAY better, but having said this, mine is still covered in elastic bands, (a little trick learned in the Marines) so I can attach bits of foliage from my surrounding environment very quickly, so as to blend in even better. I would say its a great investment but ya need to shop around for the better stuff.

ATB,

Jase. :good:

The extra foliage is all well and good, but i don't think it is necessary. I can't remember when i've thought that using a few bits of grass or some branches would help me shoot more pigeons.

At the end of the day, we're hiding from pigeons, not people.

Edited by motty

The extra foliage is all well and good, but i don't think it is necessary. I can't remember when i've thought that using a few bits of grass or some branches would help me shoot more pigeons.

At the end of the day, we're hiding from pigeons, not people.

Its not always necessary, only the other day when I went crow shooting, I had a good backdrop and was sat in the shade using just the stealth net to great affect, it blended in very well against the hedgrow and didn't need any additional foliage etc.

But that particular place (in the picture) has the sun shining in your face all day. A bog standard hide stands out like a sore thumb.

Its the best place to get under a flight line on that particular field, the birds do notice when it looks different, and will take a wide birth.

So in that instance, a good hide is important if you want to shoot some birds.

If I remember rightly I shot 207 that day, unfortunately loosing quite a few in the standing barley field directly behind me.

post-11306-0-01088000-1364841725_thumb.jpg

Edited by chrispti

Another vote for using a separate and additional piece of Army cam net to make the stealth netting more effective. It took a while before I realised just how transparent some of these stealth nets become when the sun is shining. I don't normally bother with additional foliage but last year I set up my hide in a field where someone else had shot a couple of days previously. He had cut down a number of hawthorn branches from an overgrown hedge to add to his hide and left them behind. As they were there I decided to use them. It seemed to make a difference at the time, crows and pigeons coming in even closer and lower than normal. Not a very scientific test but I shall take advantage of any additional natural cam in future!

Chris

Just wondered after watching the you tube link if anyone else heard the cameraman say " I would like to assure you that no pigeons were harmed in the making of this video "

I think a 12 bore, size 6, 30grm up the jacksie would do some harm.............

I've seen army cam nets for landies for lorries and even for tanks but I've never seen any for donkeys either !!

Perfect cheers folks have just ordered one will see what like it is and if need be can buy a second to bulk it up, have these nets taken over from the old army ones I've never seen army nets for sale for donkeys