what is wrong with me??

Today i went to my local clay shoot for the first time in 2years, i couldnt hit a thing and its nocked my confidence, i shoot very well on live game spending all my shooting hours decoying and roost shooting without any problems at all! As some on here may vouch i can hit my fair share of pigeons and crows! But i can not shoot clays! Iv not shot at clays for 2years but when i did i wasnt to bad a shot! Now i shoot game clay pigeons are imposible for me! What has happened???

is it known for this to happen?

cheers

fabarm

you will be giving the clays too much lead , i had a bad time last year where i was terrible on the clays . i could hardly belive it myself , i was at stand one day getting frustrated giving the same pair more and more lead each time (and not touching them ! ) then it dawned on me to just shoot infront of then and i hit the next 4 !

Cheers for the reply mate! Its just so strange ! I shot very badly packing up with stands still to go lol! So went and got the deeks out and shot a small but modest bag of crows, didnt miss a shot! So now i feel redeemed lol! It seems to be one or the other for me! Maybe its my style of shooting?? I know what i prefer so i think il just leave off the clays and stick to what i know!

Atb

fabarm

you will be giving the clays too much lead , i had a bad time last year where i was terrible on the clays . i could hardly belive it myself , i was at stand one day getting frustrated giving the same pair more and more lead each time (and not itouching them ! ) then it dawned on me to just shoot infront of then and i hit the next 4 !

I felt blummin useless lol, you could be right there tho about the lead, i kept increasing the lead instead of decreasing, tried shooting lower, all in vain! And i went home like a baby sulking away and wracking my brains all the way home!! It dont half give you a complex tho dont it! Still i felt better after shooting a few crows over the decoys!

Atb

fabarm

Edited by fabarm gamma boy

I got a new Pump Action recently and decided to have a go on some clays first.

I shot at 30 and missed the first 11, I was giving them too much lead as said above.

A clay target tends to slow down very quickly at....some point of travel.

I was trying to hit them like a bird that tends to go at the same speed or quicker (not always).

I believe if you think of clays like a bird that 'you know what it is going to do every time' it may unlock your brain to hit the target.

I went on to hit 14 out of the next 19 clays, but would have missed all of them if I had not stopped and worked out what I was doing wrong.

My nephew shoots a lot of clays,and I don't anymore,and he can now regularly beat me.However,I shoot a lot of live quarry,much more than him.Throughout the last game season after an initial struggle(I put this down to swapping back from my auto to my game gun at start of season)I shot very well,and he was mightily frustrated by his abysmal shooting,apart from a couple of magnificent shots at stratospheric pigeon for some reason.He finished the season totally demoralised,but a couple of weeks ago went to Greystoke and shot a 45 ex 50 and a 48 ex 50!

i had a 2 year break from clays,out of 25 i was hitting 19/20 every weekend..........started up again...if i hit 10 i am doing well...i have noticed i dont feel as relaxed and i seemed to try and take them asap...we had a visitor up a few weeks ago,let him have my gun and a box of carts...he couldnt miss...and he said that was his first time shooting clays......i must be trying too hard..its annoying to say the least

mikky

Try not to upset yourself when you start missing the clays it only makes it worse

If it bothers you just take yourself off to the clay ground where you can pay for and pick your targets, take a slab and practice one target till you can hit it time after time and then move on to the next. You can't be expected to be a great shot on clays if you don't practice it is a common problem.

This is where a refresher lesson with a good coach is a really good investment.Your probably practising the same mistakes over and over without realising it.

Its surprising just how many shooting related bad habits we pick up over the years ,so my advice would be to book an hour with a good coach.

This is where a refresher lesson with a good coach is a really good investment.Your probably practising the same mistakes over and over without realising it.

Its surprising just how many shooting relateid bad habits we pick up over the years ,so my advice would be to book an hour with a good coach.

i think your right there mate , i havent shot clats in a long time tbh! I could feel my self stopping the gun and all sorts, then i stopped that and started pulling the trigger early! Its like i hace some kind of mental block about them!