bring back a scope

snipers eye

hi all,do any of you know if i can go to uk from Ireland to buy a scope for my .17hmr? want a Leupold 16+mag,not many dealers in Ireland where one can just walk in and buy one off the shelf,thanks all.c

I can't think of any reason why not as long as you can identify a store here that has the Leupold you want in stock! SI is EU so no obvious Customs issue, NI is UK so ditto. Not part of the mechanism of a rifle - just a telescope really (unless NI FA law says different). If I am wrong I am sure someone will be along to educate us both!

Why do you think there might be an issue that would prevent you doing this?

hi lads thanks for reply,first im in southren ireland,2nd i thought there may be issues with scopes the same as there is with moderators,3rd i have looked at mail order,but could be waiting up to six weeks,i could go to uk and bring one back in 3 days,i think uttings.uk have my choice of scope in stock,but i would check before would go,just thought since it was a rifle scope their would be some sort of restrictions :/

hi lads thanks for reply,first im in southren ireland,2nd i thought there may be issues with scopes the same as there is with moderators,3rd i have looked at mail order,but could be waiting up to six weeks,i could go to uk and bring one back in 3 days,i think uttings.uk have my choice of scope in stock,but i would check before would go,just thought since it was a rifle scope their would be some sort of restrictions :/

I am sure there isn't any issue as not part of the rifle in the way barrels, moderators etc are considered to be when it comes to getting one sent to you.

I have used Uttings many times over the years and reckon their delivery system is amongst the best certainly as far as deliveries in England are concerned. I can't believe that sending to SI would pose too much of a challenge and unless you really wanted the trip the cost would be a lot less!!

Give them a ring or email them and check it out they will tell you exactly what they will charge and how long it will take.

Good luck and hope you enjoy the scope when you do get it

hi all,do any of you know if i can go to uk from Ireland to buy a scope for my .17hmr? want a Leupold 16+mag,not many dealers in Ireland where one can just walk in and buy one off the shelf,thanks all.c

There would be no reason why you could not do so. It is perfectly legal. Might be cheaper to come to Northern Ireland to get one.

Where you may have the biggest issue is bringing it back.

If you're flying you have a dilemma. Packing an expensive scope in your hold luggage (if you have any) means that it's at risk of theft and if you bring it on board as hand baggage, you've something else you need to consider.

I was flying from Gatwick on an internal flight a few years ago with a scope as hand baggage. It was picked up at the security scan and they weren't going to let me carry it on board. "We don't want people taking parts of a gun on board and assembling it to make a functioning gun". I tried all the obvious arguments and when I produced my FAC, they thought I was a cop!

The FAC finally won the day for me but I wouldn't try it again! They did confirm that it was the FAC that persuaded them. Nonsense of course but that's the risk one runs when dealing with security people who know nothing about shooting!

"We don't want people taking parts of a gun on board and assembling it to make a functioning gun". I tried all the obvious arguments......... security people who know nothing about shooting!

oh dear... that made me laugh... them thinking you`d need a scope on a plane and "assembling it to make a functioning gun".

Apparently it is! In fact it's worse as the limit is 4x magnification. I learn something bonkers every day. See this web site for some info. http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/Exporting-a-riflescope-overseas-the-law-n1035.htm

Can only suggest you try speaking to Uttings or similar supplier to see if they can organise to export same as ScottCountry.

Seems to me you could have difficulties even trying to bring one back yourself without the paperwork. Sorry for being wrong and suggesting there were no problems!

Edited by SakoQuad