Selling pigeons and rabbits

Raist

Hi,

I relatively new to stalking and have a nice permission which I shoot regularly. I am a member of basc and was wondering if I could sell my shot pigeons and rabbits to local a) farm shops, b) butchers and/or c) pubs and restaurants?

I know that to sell deer you need to prove you have the relevant courses, dsc1 etc, but is there a requirement for selling rabbits and pigeons? If so, what is it?

Additionally, what price is a fair price for the above 3 establishments?

I oly ask as the cost of cartridges is going up quite a bit and it would be nice to offset a little buy selling my wares.

Ps, I shoot head shots on rabbits, sometimes pigeons, and shotgun for pigeons.

Thanks in advance

I think you might need some sort of certificate, to prove you know if the meat is fit for human consumption. If you're a BASC member, contact BASC and ask about it. Someone in there should be able to help you.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/games-on/leftnav/game-meat-handling.cfm

Like I say, contact BASC about it just to be on the safe side. I'm no expert on this and I could be wrong.

Edited by Reece

My local butcher takes any pigeons & rabbits off me, £2.00 for rabbit and £3.50 per kilo of pigeon ( never done them individually) he keeps a ""roll over" book of what hes had and we either settle on cash or other meat when needed, works well for me so far this year I can probably afford 1 sausage!