Where do you place your flapper

THE AD

Do flappers scare the pigeons. Out today,placed 12 fuds out and within half an hour we had pigeons interested. One came in and was sharply dispatched and placed on the flapper,when the next birds came in they got so far in then turned and fled,this happened about six times we thought the birds could see us so we got well down when the next birds came in with no attempt to fire and they still turned. We wondered if the flapper was at fault so took the bird off and placed among the fuds the next birds came straight in no problems so left the flapper off. We had the flapper placed top left front of the pattern was it in the wrong place(WHERE DO YOU PLACE YOURS).cheers

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you see the birds activate the flapper, as soon as the birds turn towards you STOP flapping as the decoyed pigeons will think the other birds have been startled and are taking off.......a flapper is a different piece of kit to use from the rotary, i like to describe it as an attractor, i use a flapper all the time...and in the early days of using it (many years ago)..i suffered exactly those problems........

Went out today wind over my shoulder on the rape. Whirlybird straight in front of the hide 10yrds out. 1 flapper five yards either side of this. 104 woodies, came and decoyed like a dream.

Some days they work and some they don't. Same as whirlybird really.

What works for you mate is the best thing to do!

Happy hunting. Me pigeon.

I put the flapper forwards of the decoy pattern, maybe 10yards upwind or to one side for the reason you mentioned.

i place it where you do most of time but have had it right amongst the decoys some days and they came in no problem, i think its just on the day

but i know for a fact birds will flare away 9 times out of 10 if you have a rotary to close to the decoys

Edited by yickdaz

when you see the birds activate the flapper, as soon as the birds turn towards you STOP flapping as the decoyed pigeons will think the other birds have been startled and are taking off.......a flapper is a different piece of kit to use from the rotary, i like to describe it as an attractor, i use a flapper all the time...and in the early days of using it (many years ago)..i suffered exactly those problems........

So i need a remote for it which one do you use.

think mr pigeon has it ...what works for you !.......i think the worst thing you can do is when you see there is a problem, is to do nothing, keep trying different things......no 2 days will be the same....best thing you have done is to talk your problem on the forum...get new ideas and different views..then try them out...

I use random timers on my two mate.

They flap stop flap stop etc for random periods. A remote would mean trying to use your remote and shoot and roll a fag and pour a cuppa all at the same time!

If your flapper is running constantly then I'm not sure what pigeons think to that ?!!?

I use random timers on my two mate.

They flap stop flap stop etc for random periods. A remote would mean trying to use your remote and shoot and roll a fag and pour a cuppa all at the same time!

If your flapper is running constantly then I'm not sure what pigeons think to that ?!!?

ye same as you but ditchman said he stops the flapper.i didn't know his was a manual one

I think what you have described is yet another pigeon shooting myth. Pigeons don't think that there is a startled bird ready to take off when one of them flaps it's wings. Most of the time, pigeons are jostling for position and are frequently taking off to land a couple of yards in front.This doesn't put off incoming birds, so why should a flapper?

i place it where you do most of time but have had it right amongst the decoys some days and they came in no problem, i think its just on the day

but i know for a fact birds will flare away 9 times out of 10 if you have a rotary to close to the decoys

Although i don't usually put my rotary right next to the decoys, i don't seem to have the problem that you're encountering.

Ive had many a situations where it have scared the in coming bird, so i only use it to attract a passing bird soon has it starts to come my way i turn it off, using two i put one in front and one high further back as if coming in to the flock.

How can you be sure they were scared by the flapper? Did you ask the pigeons why they turned away?

There's on old saying ,thats very applicable to woodpigeon shooting.

" Different days, different ways."

There is no hard and fast golden rules. What works ,one day, might scare the living daylights, out of them the next day.

You've just got to see whats doing it for them on the day.

Most of the time, for me , the flapper is brilliant, but I have known it to spook them too.

Pigeon are flock birds. Wing flaps are both a signal to join the feeding group and also warning of danger and departure. I was using a flapper with a timer on and noticed two events:

a) it pulled the birds in and

b) then warned them off.

The secret is one or two flaps and then nothing more. Invest in a remote control which is much better as you can shut the thing down when the birds are on their way in.

Pigeon are flock birds. Wing flaps are both a signal to join the feeding group and also warning of danger and departure. I was using a flapper with a timer on and noticed two events:

a) it pulled the birds in and

B) then warned them off.

The secret is one or two flaps and then nothing more. Invest in a remote control which is much better as you can shut the thing down when the birds are on their way in.

Absolutely disagree!!!

I use two flappers with a rotary and must say I've had days were they work well and days were they don't. But I do think that the pigeons that you put on your flapper must have one break in each wing close to the body , if not they will flap unevenly and can simulate and wounded or startled bird.