Where do you place your flapper

THE AD

I had my aa flapper in the middle of my pattern today and I had bird coming down to try an make sweet love to it. Seriously, one pigeon landed centre meters from it and wouldn't fly off.

I couldn't even shoot it on the ground because I would of hit the flapper and battery, just had to leave it to try and **** the flapper!! Lol

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few weeks ago I had a hen sparrow hawk attack the dead bird on the flapper, she bound on but was unable to lift it. She did this twice over a couple of hours.

I had my aa flapper in the middle of my pattern today and I had bird coming down to try an make sweet love to it. Seriously, one pigeon landed centre meters from it and wouldn't fly off.

I couldn't even shoot it on the ground because I would of hit the flapper and battery, just had to leave it to try and **** the flapper!! Lol

Edited by Penelope

when you see the birds activate the flapper, as soon as the birds turn towards you STOP flapping as the decoyed pigeons will think the other birds have been startled and are taking off.......a flapper is a different piece of kit to use from the rotary, i like to describe it as an attractor, i use a flapper all the time...and in the early days of using it (many years ago)..i suffered exactly those problems........

Now then ditchman, I am a confirmed fan of your flapper, it works a treat I use it to get them coming in then stop flapping, it is a great bit of kit, just ask hawkeye he was sat outside of my hide with his dog ( to the left out of sight) birds were coming in on a line with the flapper he was watching then coming in one after another then I would shoot and he would send his dog out to pick up, as said cracking bit of kit, oh and as to were I place a flapper, if I use a battery flapper ( birds are upright) I put it just behind the front birds, the pull flapper I place off to the rear of the pattern and just to one side as it is presents the bird a lot flatter IE it looks like it is flying in rather than flapping to land / take off )

cheers KW

Edited by kdubya

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely disagree!!!

mate of mine is 74, and been shooting since he was 8 and using drawstring flapper and still does today,he gives it 2 flapps then that's it , so suppose if 2 flaps ent enough as you say he could tie drawstring to his big toe and continue pulling it while he shoots????? :good:

Absolutely disagree!!!

mate of mine is 74, and been shooting since he was 8 and using drawstring flapper and still does today,he gives it 2 flapps then that's it , so suppose if 2 flaps ent enough as you say he could tie drawstring to his big toe and continue pulling it while he shoots? ???? :good:

If you're going to keep quoting what i've posted, then maybe you should actually read it! I didn't say 2 flaps isn't enough,did i?

I disagreed with the point that pigeons are scared off when a flapper is flapping on their arrival in the decoy pattern.

well reading this it tells me many things that we all have defrent ideas :) and then one thing that is the same :yes: what works on that day might not work again on another day or a defrent area as said change it :good: we will be always learning and never no it all will we :lol::lol::lol:

Never used a flapper.... I do use three bouncers which can be a real pain in the bottom if the wind is gusting. I tend to use them way in front and to one side of the U so they do not block the flight path. If not in the right place they can twist and look as if they are birds being spooked away. I try and fis them in a position so they look as if ther are coming into land and just bob up and down. As has been said before, if it is not working try something else until it works.

The next investment will be some wobbly sticks to put the solid deeks on so they move a little - that will mean I will have three bouncers, 12 FUDs and five wobbling solid decoys..... more than enough me thinks.

All I have to do then is be able to hit them :-)

oooooooooooohhh someones tiried :rolleyes::lol::yahoo:

If you're going to keep quoting what i've posted, then maybe you should actually read it! I didn't say 2 flaps isn't enough,did i?

I disagreed with the point that pigeons are scared off when a flapper is flapping on their arrival in the decoy pattern.

Edited by browning n spaniel

I'm pretty sure different things work in different places. You can start saying that some thing doesn't work and its **** just because it doesn't work where you shoot. Flappers where I shoot work really well because I am the only person to have used one there, a magnet how ever scares them right off. That doesn't mean magnets are **** though does it

The next investment will be some wobbly sticks to put the solid deeks on so they move a little - that will mean I will have three bouncers, 12 FUDs and five wobbling solid decoys..... more than enough me thinks.

All I have to do then is be able to hit them :-)

Nick - Don't shoot them, wait for the pigeons to come in! :whistling:

cradles on drilling ????? think you do better leaving cradles in the shed and take the flapper mate :good: birds on cradles on bear field would put birds off from 3 fields away

I don't think cradles on drillings is necessary. However, i don't think they put pigeons off.

Why would it put them off?

A boy of your all experience should no with out asking me , just try it and let me no how you get on

I don't need to try because i know they wouldn't be put off. It's like saying pigeons will be put off by a floater or an angel or even decoys with spring sticks.

I like to look at things logically. There is no logical reason why pigeons would be put off by their dead mates on cradles.

I don't need to try because i know they wouldn't be put off. It's like saying pigeons will be put off by a floater or an angel or even decoys with spring sticks.

I like to look at things logically. There is no logical reason why pigeons would be put off by their dead mates on cradles.

ok mate, have it your way, , just telling you that my EXPERIANCE tells me that it DOES put um off

ok mate, have it your way, , just telling you that my EXPERIANCE tells me that it DOES put um off

I'm not trying to have an argument, but if pigeons are put off by something i try to think of the reason why.

If you have used dead birds in cradles on drilling before, how did you know it was them that were putting the birds off?

I'm not trying to have an argument, but if pigeons are put off by something i try to think of the reason why.

If you have used dead birds in cradles on drilling before, how did you know it was them that were putting the birds off?

soon as you put dead birds on cradles the birds will stop or turn out at 80 yrd, so then take um of the cradles then birds commit, that how I know it will put um of committing, plus how many birds you seen feeding 18 inches from the floor with the wings shut??

plus whats the main aim of using a cradle??? its to made bird more visable in crop yer?? so on bear drilled field the bird on floor is visable cus theres nothing hiding it correct?? [ie. plant]

Edited by browning n spaniel

soon as you put dead birds on cradles the birds will stop or turn out at 80 yrd, so then take um of the cradles then birds commit, that how I know it will put um of committing, plus how many birds you seen feeding 18 inches from the floor with the wings shut??

plus whats the main aim of using a cradle??? its to made bird more visable in crop yer?? so on bear drilled field the bird on floor is visable cus theres nothing hiding it correct?? [ie. plant]

Pigeons are not clever enough to wonder why their pals are 'floating' in mid air.

How many pigeons have you seen chasing each other in a never ending circle?

Pigeons are not clever enough to wonder why their pals are 'floating' in mid air.

How many pigeons have you seen chasing each other in a never ending circle?

I can see you know more than any 1 else mate :lol: , best you get on with it , you carry on shooting a sandwich box full of pigeons a year, if you no best

I can see you know more than any 1 else mate :lol: , best you get on with it , you carry on shooting a sandwich box full of pigeons a year, if you no best

I'm not saying i know best, but i like to give people advice based on reason and logic. I will always disagree with people who say something doesn't work, without giving a reason why it doesn't work. I disagree when people say that magnets don't work or that pigeons can't be shot with 7.5 shot, though i've shot plenty using both.

Looks like you were losing the debate - you had to start trying to insult me.