Squirrels

AVB

Hello,

I'm a pigeon shooter (shotgun) normally but with the shortage of pigeons at the moment have resorted to attempt to clear the garden of tree rats with an airgun. So bought a new .22 12lb/ft spring gun and after satisfying myself that I could group shots OK set about the squirrels. With head shots at about 15-20 yards no problem. They normally go down stone dead or run about 5 yards then drop dead. However, I also had an old cage trap so have been catching them in there. The problem is that when dispatching them with the same gun at point blank range I don't always get a clean kill. I think hitting them in the top of the head but it takes a couple of shot to kill them. Is it the fact that that part of the head is tough or is the gun less effective at close range. Can't understand why it would be the latter but perhaps somebody can shed light on it.

Cheers

Andrew

Stretch their necks, don't shoot them at close range :good:

The pellet leaves the gun and from the point it leaves the barrel it decelerates, it is at its most powerful just as it leaves, well placed shots would do it at close quarters, better to stretch their necks though ;)

I like to keep a tin of flat headed pellets for this purpose...that way you know all the energy goes into the point blank shot. Seems strange, especially in 22 that at point blank your not getting clean kills, but it could just be bad shot placement or something. Keep up the good work tho :good:

-Andrew

Pin mate

I'm gonna catch a squirrel in one of my live traps for you to show us all how to stretch their necks,

I'll even video it so you can then edit & post it on here :good:

Oh I've just realised you wont have any fingers left to tippety tap on the keyboard :):lol:

Dont even attempt to pick them up until they are very dead, I've not been on the receiving end of a squirrel, but my dog has & a nasty bite it was too, it latched on to her bottom lip, I can still hear her howls of pain now.

If you have to, a little underwater swim for a minute or two will do the trick ;)

AVB I know where you're coming from I've had the same happen to me with a point blank shot in a live trap, it took 2 or 3 shots to finish it. Put me off shooting them in the traps.

SS

I've done it before and I would be happy to demonstrate for you. You just need to be extremely violent really, grab the head really effning hard with the right hand and pull like jiggery with the left. If you pussy foot about they struggle, if you grab them so hard its worthless to struggle they settle down :good:

Works for me ;)

Hello,

I'm a pigeon shooter (shotgun) normally but with the shortage of pigeons at the moment have resorted to attempt to clear the garden of tree rats with an airgun. So bought a new .22 12lb/ft spring gun and after satisfying myself that I could group shots OK set about the squirrels. With head shots at about 15-20 yards no problem. They normally go down stone dead or run about 5 yards then drop dead. However, I also had an old cage trap so have been catching them in there. The problem is that when dispatching them with the same gun at point blank range I don't always get a clean kill. I think hitting them in the top of the head but it takes a couple of shot to kill them. Is it the fact that that part of the head is tough or is the gun less effective at close range. Can't understand why it would be the latter but perhaps somebody can shed light on it.

Cheers

Andrew

What Air-rifle have you got :lol: What pellets are you using :lol:

You shouldn't have any problems at point blank range. What part of the head are you shooting?? If you go for the top it will be a clean kill.

One thing that you must also think about is when caught in a trap and you approach to dispatch it, it will be very alert and full of adrenaline, so when you shoot it, the flight reflex come's into play. Even though it is dead the nerves go into overdrive.

Next time pop a pellet in backwards so the skirt is in first, this will give you a clean kill :lol:

As for stretching their necks :lol::lol: No way :lol::lol: (pin, your either a brave man or NUTS :lol: )

Hello,

Cheers

Andrew

What Air-rifle have you got :no: What pellets are you using :(

You shouldn't have any problems at point blank range. What part of the head are you shooting?? If you go for the top it will be a clean kill.

One thing that you must also think about is when caught in a trap and you approach to dispatch it, it will be very alert and full of adrenaline, so when you shoot it, the flight reflex come's into play. Even though it is dead the nerves go into overdrive.

Next time pop a pellet in backwards so the skirt is in first, this will give you a clean kill :lol:

As for stretching their necks :P:lol: No way :lol::lol: (pin, your either a brave man or NUTS :o )

Kip,

Its a brand new .22 Cometa and the pellets are RWS Super-H-Point (Field Line). When they are in the cage I aim for the top of the head (the forehead if a squirel has one!) although they are moving around quite a bit so it might not hit it square on. I thought it was maybe that this is a particularly hard but of the skull but I think it is the adrenaline as you mention. I hit one in my garden today at about 15 yards fair and square on the top of the head and, apart from a few twitches, was stone dead.

Far more satisfying that way. Almost have a pang of guilt when I dispatch one in a cage. :yp:

Now I've shot more squirels with my air rifle in the past week than I have pigeons with my shotgun in the past three months. :no:

AVB

I had the same problem with a mixie rabbit last weekend, first shot close range,it was still hopping about, 2nd shot very close range still kicking and strugaling. 3rd shot point blank range dead apart from nerves twitching. i hate to see rabbits with mixie :no: what a horible way to suffer and aventually die. :P

Pin I would love to see you wring a squirels neck, :lol: :lol: I have seen the mess they make of dogs faces :lol::lol: :o

rather you than me mate.

kipper :no:

• 9 months later...