Hide height

powenb

I suppose this is a double question really.

Do you sit or stand most of the time?

In either case do you have your netting high enough to be able to see over the top whilst seated, or do you have it high enough to be able to see over the top whilst standing?

I sit down and have the net high enough to just see over and shoot and stay seated for the shot, using a stealth as well as other nets I look over the top to spot birds then keep still with my face tucked up to and looking through the stealth, as soon as the bird is in range head and gun up and take the shot.

I find the trick is to keep your final movements smooth and controlled so you don't spook them at the last second

i sit and have the net head hieght, and with my left hand gently pull the net down so i can see over..just my eyes not the face...then as a bird comes in i use the barrells to hold the net down and then as JBS says keep you final movents smooth....worst thing you can do is muzzle the bird as it comes in......

I sit with the hide higher at the back and use 2 nets, the outside one is the very old type material. The inner net is fixed to the back 2 poles but on the front 2 poles it can slide up and down on those creating a drape affect and the outer net sits on the top clips to make windows to look through on 3 sides.

If I can shoot sitting down then I will, because I can keep still rather than popping up and the back bird flaring…

In all cases the net is above my head, with a double hide we put a divider net to cut down high birds that come in from the side.

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter

I sit with the hide higher at the back and use 2 nets, the outside one is the very old type material. The inner net is fixed to the back 2 poles but on the front 2 poles it can slide up and down on those creating a drape affect and the outer net sits on the top clips to make windows to look through on 3 sides.

If I can shoot sitting down then I will, because I can keep still rather than popping up and the back bird flaring…

In all cases the net is above my head, with a double hide we put a divider net to cut down high birds that come in from the side.

TEH

+ one :good:

I always wear a full mesh cammo balaclava. So when looking over the top my white face is not seen for miles.

Pigeons will not see your face for miles anyway. I quite often stay in full view of pigeons until they get within 200 yards from the hide.

I have a clearview net that is high enough that I have to stand to shoot over, and have a traditional net on the outside of that so I can see through the clearview and overthe traditional net whern Im sitting and then I stand up to shoot them....but I sometimes just stand up anyway because through the clearview net flys look like pigeons and I get excited :oops:

I always set my hide up so that when I'm sitting down the top of the hide is above my head hight but at the right hight that when i stand I can shoot comfortably over the top. Stealth net tight from pole to pole and noramal leafy effect net draped between pole to allow window in the top third.

I was once out decoying with a friend, he was one end of the field and I was the other. He had his net low below head hight so he could see over the top and all I could see all day was his head bobbing around over the top of the net. Nearly every bird that went to his decoys flared off :lol: I had to ring him in the end and tell him to highten his net as could work it out for himself :/

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I was the same. Always a little unsure so double up with a leafty type net and drape it to create windows.

However I was in a situation the other week where I needed a net behind me and only having the two nets had to put my leafy one behind and had the stealth at the front.

I was not too comfortable with being able to see out so easily, but to be fair the pigeons came in fine and not once did they appear to see me through it. Shot 24 that day without a problem.