.22 centrefires compared

kent

Though the following information might be of use to a few in selecting the appropriate .22 CF rifle for foxing. I have worked from data published in the Nosler re-loading guide to avoid discrepancies in muzzle speeds attained by different hand loaders and often mis- represented by manufacturers of factory rounds.

Optimum bullet weights are commonly accepted as 45 grn .22 Hornet, 50 grn .222, 55 grn .223 and 55 grn .22-250. While its fully excepted higher and lower weight bullets can sway figures, this can be said for all and were do we end.

Zero range has been taken as the maximum that the bullet will stay in a target of 3 1/3" if aimed centrally, obviously it then depends on shooter skill level if that can be achieved. Don't be mis lead on this point many cannot get their zero target completed on DC1 first go- prone at only 100 yds. If you cannot make the shot it matters little how far the gun can do it! For the metric minded think beer mat!

Wind is calculated at 10 mph at full value ie 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock in relation to the shooter over level ground.

,22 Hornet 45 grn Nosler SP @ 2762 fps 163 yds zero keeps to target to 185 yds 9" wind at max

.222 rem 50 grn Nosler B/T @ 3212 fps 202 yds zero keeps to target to 233 yds 6.72" wind at max

.223 rem 55 grn Nosler B/T @ 3302 fps 209 yds zero keeps to target to 242 yds 6.21" wind at max

.22-250 55 grn Nosler B/T @ 3736 fps 234 yds zero keeps to target to 270 yds 6.76" wind at max.

Powder burnt and muzzle speed achieved is linked to barrel life and also noise or in these times ease of moderation. I thought I might include this as any ballistic gain has its downside. Again directly from the guide, heat of the powder is another factor in life as is cleaning and cadence of fire but lets keep it simple and think volume only

.22 Hornet 12 grains

.222 rem 22 grains

.223 rem 25 grains

.22-250 32 grains

Some conclusions

.222 and 22-250 compared adding 10 grains of powder only gives 37 yds increase in range, is that price worth paying in terms of reduced life and blast? Certainly not if you cannot shoot that far to the required standard or if you fields are only say 200 yds across.

.222 and .223 are fairly equal using 50 grn bullets against 55 in the ,223 rem

.22 Hornet burns way less than half the powder of a 22-250 and is still capable of point and shoot trajectory wise to 185 yds, not many can shoot that far without a good stable rest at least. Although personally I have shot foxes considerably further during daylight I am unsure if I have ever shot to 200 yds on the lamp

Muzzle energy is mute as all the above will carry enough power to cleanly dispatch an adult fox with a well placed shot at double the respective maximum ranges.

In practice one will of course hold slightly higher on the long shots and wind should carefully be considered before taking any shot as it is actually the biggest factor balistically speaking at longer range not drop!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe people are so hard up they have to worry about 12 grains of powder :) and using antique hornets

Foxing wise i prefer the bigger bang as it always helps to be well up on power rather than the minimum required, our furthest one this year has been 240 yards under the lamp and I have one coming up that will be 300 as its always in the same place in the same field and won't play now i have the 58's working well with 4" of drop at that range its going to get some stick :lol:

Kent has a hornet so everyone should have one :good:

the comical bit is I reckon he must have another commission only sales job as he must have doubled the sales of them through spouting their brilliance on here, just possibly edgar bros pop him a few quid so he can afford a bit more powder from time to time.

The only parameter you have used that I would question is the 3.3".

I thought the accepted standard, as far as rise/drop and point and squirt for vermin shooting was concerned, was 1.5"

Perhaps you should extrapolate your figures again to reflect the accepted norm.

Thank you lads for pointing out the difference in the diameter of the rounds....

My comment was directed on how good a foxing round a .243 is...

Know I won’t be drawn into a debate of pop guns V .243 as I am sure it will detract from the original post... :innocent:

TEH

Its quite relevant actually TEH as the closest ballistically is the 22-250 which is the keepers fox gun of choice round here but you have to do a lot of work to justify having one purely for foxing.

Joking aside, all the 22 centerfires are amazing and they all get the job done.

My personal favourites are 222, 223 and 22-250 when loaded with sleek 40grain bullets.

I don't much care for the figures n' charts but 4000fps and beyond is pretty impressive!

Would I have one, sure, one time did. Would I now, no. Just at the moment a Hornet would do for me, that is if it were not for my 357!

U.

I can't believe people are so hard up they have to worry about 12 grains of powder :) and using antique hornets

Foxing wise i prefer the bigger bang as it always helps to be well up on power rather than the minimum required, our furthest one this year has been 240 yards under the lamp and I have one coming up that will be 300 as its always in the same place in the same field and won't play now i have the 58's working well with 4" of drop at that range its going to get some stick :lol:

12 grains !!!! That's a nuther shot ;)

Its quite relevant actually TEH as the closest ballistically is the 22-250 which is the keepers fox gun of choice round here but you have to do a lot of work to justify having one purely for foxing.

They just need to be whacked and with what ever so long as it is not a .22lr or the .17hmr!!!

My mate uses a 22-250 and when it is very windy down on the marches he all ways text to bring my .243!!

His one is very nice and makes a big hole in them with his home loads... :yahoo:

TEH

Its just the facts, there is around a question a day on here that can be answered by this. wind is far more relevant than drop in long range shooting, anyone "who can" is aware of that. Hope it helps someone, others are beyond any redemption. The .243 win is my own favourite long range rifle as it happens, the thread is not about that, its not about my likes and dislikes just facts. Not everyone is suited to a .22 Hornet and not everyone is suited to a 22 -250. if there is a need for 6mm calibres compared perhaps one of the kids can sort it?

the comical bit is I reckon he must have another commission only sales job as he must have doubled the sales of them through spouting their brilliance on here, just possibly edgar bros pop him a few quid so he can afford a bit more powder from time to time.

No I don't get anything out of Hornet sales. If you read it and if only you could comprehend it you might see its just a list of the facts compared. Should all PW readers run out and just buy the most powerful do you think? Try originality some time

Kent has a hornet so everyone should have one :good:

Kent also has had .243 a lot longer and has also owned two other .22 CF

No I don't get anything out of Hornet sales. If you read it and if only you could comprehend it you might see its just a list of the facts compared. Should all PW readers run out and just buy the most powerful do you think? Try originality some time

Kent also has had .243 a lot longer and has also owned two other .22 CF

Kent also said a while back that he could easily take foxes out on the lamp at a range of 330 yards with only an 8x scope....yet now he says he has not shot over 200 on the lamp !

You are right though about 1 thing, lots of BS on the tinternet.