What age to start clay shooting

Eskoky

My daughter is very keen to start coming shooting with me on the weekends (clays,) but I am not sure if it is too soon to let her start - she is only 11. Also if I did let her come along which gun should I get her to use? A 410, in my opinion, is an awful gun - I can't hit a barn door with it and I can see her getting very discouraged when she doesn't hit anything. So would a 20 gauge semi be any better (think of the hatsan youth) - or is a semi too dangerous for a youngster. I am sure some of you have done this before so your opinions would be great - is it too young and if not what gun would you suggest?

Have you looked at the Hatsan pump 20g?? Also have you thought about looking at what is available in the way of lessons at your local clay grounds?

I will be watching this post with interest. My eldest is 7 and has just recently had his first go with a .410 single. He was only shooting at static clays that I had leant on to a grass banking but its a start. We will be taking it slowly from there.

I shot in the field from 9/10 with a 12 gauge but the 1st time I went clay shooting it was a thank you from one of the men on the shoot as I had looked after his dogs for a week in the pens on the farm while he had been on holiday with is family, I was 14 at the time and shot a 17/25 what a high, I got more pats on the back I had shot better than most of the adults I will always remember it well I was shooting better in my youth yrs than I am doing now :)

I have been taking out four local shooters, Saturday mornings mostly aged 10 to 14 (all boys)

Static targets are good to start with, builds confidence....we use 410's as they are good starter guns.

If you don't like 410's don't get one they are over priced and you can get far better for your money.

I know some shooters who still own their first gun and it means the world to them, so try to get a classic.

I don't think that in 30 years time your daughter will be proud of her Hatsan (sorry but true).

I still shoot with my daughter who is 35 now, and am still buying guns for her.

ATB

Both my boys started at three years old, one took to it and the other didn't.

Originally they both enjoyed shooting puddles.

A .410" bolt action Star was used with a stock cut down and gradually rebuilt as the boys grew.

Then a Webley and Scott .410" was obtained and not shortened.

Next step was a 12 bore Semi-Auto with light loads.

Just one point;

DON'T force a child to take part, I've seen parents so keen to see their children do well that they alienate the child and he'll NEVER come back to shooting!

11 is fine, the school clay cub starts at year 7 and I've had a lot of small students through. On the whole the gun issue is the weight on the front arm especially for girls. If you can get short barrels and then some weight in the stock to move the centre of gravity that will help. A Beretta 20g are very light on the front if budgets stretch. If not pick up a cheap 410 and concentrate on getting the basics right on simple targets. Getting the gun mounted is vital or it will hurt her and put her off more.

Drop me a line of you need more guidance.

Thanks Guys - the consensus seems to be that 410 is the right option, I'll also look up a good coach.

Thanks Guys - the consensus seems to be that 410 is the right option, I'll also look up a good coach.

I coach lots of youngsters of all ages, start with a gun they can comfortably hold and manage.

A .410 is a great little gun to start with and will hit a clay if pointed in the right place, a 28g is also a great gun.

Move the child through the guns until they are comfortable and competant.

The secret is to give the child the gun that fits "the child" not the gun thats suits the parent.

A good coach will have a selection of guns for the client to try out, spend some money and do it correctly, you may also want to try a BASC or CPSA young shots day, both are very good and can be very informative for both the child and the parent. Look on the websites and find the local coach or next young shots day

Both my boys started at three years old, one took to it and the other didn't.

Originally they both enjoyed shooting puddles.

A .410" bolt action Star was used with a stock cut down and gradually rebuilt as the boys grew.

Then a Webley and Scott .410" was obtained and not shortened.

Next step was a 12 bore Semi-Auto with light loads.

Just one point;

DON'T force a child to take part, I've seen parents so keen to see their children do well that they alienate the child and he'll NEVER come back to shooting!

When you're feeling lonely and you don't know what to do, give a little whistle :whistling: give a little whistle :whistling:

My grandson is 7 - started off with a 410 - now has a 20 bore Hatsan auto.

I cut down the stock, which is plastic. I have the rest to stick back on, as he grows, but bought a second-hand Franchi Hunter, which fit straight on. One sleeve around the bolt, a little sanding, as the stock was slightly thicker - job done - for when he needs a longer stock.

Hi, thought this might be of use

I first went shooting at 13, after my grandad got his guns back from packing in due to work, he said I was his only grandson with enough patience to sit in hide all day. After the first trip to the old marsh he used to shoot I new that it was some thing I would love and I didnt even shoot the dam gun. The first few months I was shown how to shoot (you can only guide some one how to shoot as we all shoot differently and it is down to the user to find their best way to shoot/ position. After my grandad had taught me all about safety he all ways made me shoot in my own hide further from him, not because he didnt want me to shoot al the birds but so I could teach my self how to shoot.

I would say start as young as possible. But make sure safety is shown first, also don't put pressure on to shoot, if it is some thing she has a very keen intrest in then she will tell you to lets go again, and enjoy the sport, but remember safety at all times it is best to teach safety when young as this will reflect on their shooting throughout their life.

There is nothing worse than getting all excited about learning to shoot, then being given a .410 and hitting sod all, the .410 in the right hands is effective enough , but for a newbie, no chance, id rather use a catapult, get a 20 bore, light, effective , minimum recoil and a great gun to start on, with an easy move at the right time into 12 bore, my .410 hushpower just sits in the cabinet, never see's the light of day, we, my son and I ,put a box of cartridges through it at the local range and scored 25 misses out of 25, talk about red faces, never again. :lol:

I had an 10 year old out last Saturday, a young boy that had never shot before. He hit over 50% of the targets offered, and straighted 10 x10 the Springing Teal.

All this with a .410.O/U (Yildiz)

He was offered a 28g and a 20g but felt both were a little heavy.

He is back for a second lesson on Friday of this week, and his Dad has also booked a lesson, saying I can see how much my son enjoyed the experience, maybe I will as well.

Ps

I will be in Walcott during June, if you like we can meet up and maybe I can help?

Terry

apologies, make that August I have just double checked the calender

Edited by bakerboy

There is nothing worse than getting all excited about learning to shoot, then being given a .410 and hitting sod all, the .410 in the right hands is effective enough , but for a newbie, no chance, id rather use a catapult, get a 20 bore, light, effective , minimum recoil and a great gun to start on, with an easy move at the right time into 12 bore, my .410 hushpower just sits in the cabinet, never see's the light of day, we, my son and I ,put a box of cartridges through it at the local range and scored 25 misses out of 25, talk about red faces, never again. :lol:

If the gun fit is sorted out and you use the right type of targets kids even beginners will hit them. Or it's the coaches fault IMHO just taught 5 kids 9-14 this morning with my 410 as they could handle the weight of a 28 they all hit clays with in the 25 and most hit a far few. Half terms great !!!

If you want to let her have a go, I have a now out-grown short-stock Lincoln Premier Gold 20g. I assume you are a certificate holder so you can borrow it for 72 hours. I even have a few boxes of low recoil cartridges that she can have to get her started.

Nick

My son started with static targets at 6/7

Then went into a .410 single at 9 ( we had a go go with Bakerboy who was great and really patient !!)

He's now on a revo 28g o/u n/e and loves it !!

Not wanting to sound stupid but just make sure they understand the basics first .. Ie safety , loading ,unloading etc etc

Ps top offer nicks

Static targets.... maybe I should give those a go since the moving ones are proving a bit elusive. Seriously now, I would always want to encourage kids to take up an active interest. Clay shooting is something I love to do with my 15yo - even though he invariably out-shoots me and teases me relentlessly. For those few hours the usual father/son barriers are gone and we both see a different side of each other. The offer of a loan of the Lincoln is open to others wanting to try it with their kids.

Nick

If you want to let her have a go, I have a now out-grown short-stock Lincoln Premier Gold 20g. I assume you are a certificate holder so you can borrow it for 72 hours. I even have a few boxes of low recoil cartridges that she can have to get her started.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thank-you very much for the offer - it is very kind. I am a certificate holder and would would be very grateful to take you up on the offer. It would be a perfect way of letting her have a go without the cost of lessons and a new gun. if she like it then a lesson seems a good idea. I'll PM you.

If the gun fit is sorted out and you use the right type of targets kids even beginners will hit them. Or it's the coaches fault IMHO just taught 5 kids 9-14 this morning with my 410 as they could handle the weight of a 28 they all hit clays with in the 25 and most hit a far few. Half terms great !!!

A man after my own heart. :good:

The second Sunday of each month I run a "Kids Klay Day", this mornings was another great success, 20+ children turned up, the only guns used were the .410 and the 28g, both O/U's.

All hit targets :yes: some hit more than others, but all enjoyed the experiece, and that is the most important thing.

The children gets lots of encouragement from other shooters that stop to watch cheering and shouting :good: .

It can only be good for the sport, role on next months meet up :yes: .

What a great idea! Kids always enjoy it more when there is a group of them. Bisley organise Young Shots days during school holidays but they are expensive considering how few shots they actually get. With volunteer coaches, for 25 clays and cartridges, the cost should be no more than £15 if youngsters are to be encouraged to take up the sport. Even if they never do it again but go away with a positive attitude towards shooting, it is time and money well spent.

Nick