Chronographs

chrisjpainter

What chronos do people use here? At the moment I'm using a Cb-625 MK4, but it's a bit fiddly and having to reset it between each shot at the end of the barrel is getting a bit irritating. As growing longer arms is probably not an option, I was wondering what other options there might be, but I do want one that measures in ft/lb as well as FPS.

any thoughts?

I have the same as you, but really how often do you use it? I put a couple of pellets through mine 2 or 3 times a year at most, more if I have a new rifle, but it does the job and resetting isn't a problem at all.

It's a good question, and it's hard to say. At the moment I'm using it a lot as I've been working over a BSA S10 mk2, so need to keep checking its power as I work on it and I've recently bought a mk3 that will be kept, but have been running various pellet choices over it and I use a chrono when doing that as well. But I reckon I run 20 shots from my Daystate every couple of months to check it, and twenty lots of reset - shoot - safety on - pull gun back - reset - safety off - shoot is getting irritating!

Insulating tape the v block holder on and no problem, used mine on a BSA Super 10, Scorpion and Ultra, HW 100, Daystate X2, Huntsman and Mark 3, Air Arms S200, SMK QB78 DL, spring powered BSA Super Meteor, Theoben Sirocco, Hatsan 60S TG GR and an Air Arms TX200 successfully, insulating tape, not rubber bands!

Also spend a few quid on the alignment tool too! It makes sense really! But if you do destroy it, send it to fragments, you can get it rebuilt and tested by Combro for a mere £7.50 including p+p and VAT, how good is that?

Edited by secretagentmole

Chrony F1

It gives you FPS from which you can work out what the Ft/lbs is if you know your pellet weight.

I have a Microsoft Excel sheet set up on the computer in tables of 10 entries. I just enter the FPS, it works out the Ft/lbs per shot and a cumulative average.

Not hard to do if you can find your way round a computer.

:good:

Edited by peek-at

I stumbled into this thread and I have to admit that although it is fascinating reading absolutely none of it makes any sense to me as a non air rifle shooter. Gone are the days when a BSA Meteor or Diana with open sights did for a few rats and starlings in my boyhood it seems.

I've had a go with the Chrono connect android app. Has a nice database of pellets etc and then you just stick your phone underneath the gun when you shoot a known pellet over a known distance. It uses the devices microphone to record sound of the rifle firing and then times how long it is until it hears the pellet strike a metallic pellet trap. It's a bit grumpy and sometimes gets confused and estimates my spring rifle as operating at 30000000 ft/lbs sometimes.... Reckon it would be a lot more reliable with a PcP, although because it uses sound it wouldn't be great for something with a silencer on it.

I have the cure for you Chris, buy a Data Logging cable, plug it into your pc, plug it into the Combro, fire when ready, every shot is logged along with power and speed! Easy Peasy few quid squeezy!

http://www.chronoconnect.com/?page=cables Have some, I would normally recommend Combro, but they seem to be out of stock again!

I use the same set up the the Combro, helps you keep all the string data in an excel spreadsheet so you can do some comparisons on pellets, fill pressures etc and you don't have to keep reseting it. Also used it on a TX I had with no ill effects, I use a plastic sea fishing coaster (mulitiplier reel holder) to attach my chrono to the end of the barrel.

I stumbled into this thread and I have to admit that although it is fascinating reading absolutely none of it makes any sense to me as a non air rifle shooter. Gone are the days when a BSA Meteor or Diana with open sights did for a few rats and starlings in my boyhood it seems.

Well you can still buy meteors and dianas so not everything has changed.

To put it in simple terms the legal limit for a non FAC air rifle is 12ft / lbs of energy ( your old meteor would have produced 9-10) , if your rifle is producing over the 12ft / lb limit then you are breaking the law and face prosecution if found out.

So that's why any law abiding airgun shooter with any sense owns a cronograph of some type so they can be sure their gun is operating within the law.

Even a change of weight / shape or brand of pellet could push a gun that's close to the limit over.

Incidently power is not away's king my hw 97 has always been deadly out to 40 yards, when I recently checked it over the crono it was producing 10.5 ft / lb , it is though fantastically accurate.

hi i have a chrony alpha red i have shot front display but still works if you do it like secretaget as said. if you want to pay postage you can have it .i brought new one so siting in shed doing nothink .

If the op doesn't want it m8ty i would be really interested in it if that's ok?

Ta Lee

hi i have a chrony alpha red i have shot front display but still works if you do it like secretaget as said. if you want to pay postage you can have it .i brought new one so siting in shed doing nothink .

Actually, that's a really kind offer mate, sorry I didn't see that! if you want to check some postage figures and pm me your paypal that'd be excellent.