Black powder pistols

hobbesy

wandering around Calais yesterday yesterday and came across a knife shop and amongst the auto opening knife and 'stun guns' was what I thought a couple of black firing pistols made to look like Colt navy. Turned out they're black powder pistols and are completely licence free and can be bought over the counter.

makes a bit of a joke out of our gun laws

Whilst the UK may be easy for professionals in the know to get hold of illegal guns, Most other people would find it quite hard to get a gun without a licence so I would say our gun laws are just about spot on

Reasonable for the law abiding people who have a reason to shoot and difficult for the non lawfull user, after all all laws are a comprimise solution to a problem

Edited by ChrisAsh

by blackpowder, do you mean those single shot types loading from the barrel?

Muzzleloading pistols are available in single shot as you have described and also revolvers.

Yes,in France they're not considered to be firearms and therefore not licensed. Still very much deadly though-i have a 44 calibre revolver.

Muzzleloading pistols are available in single shot as you have described and also revolvers.

Yes,in France they're not considered to be firearms and therefore not licensed. Still very much deadly though-i have a 44 calibre revolver.

Do the revolvers fire multiple shots like a regular revolver would? Are they allowed on a fac over here then? Sounds like fun.....

Yes, once you have loaded the 6 chambers with powder and lead ball and placed percussion caps on the nipples at the rear of the cylinder they are ready to shoot - Most of the revolvers are copies of the 1850-1870 originals, usually single action, meaning you need to pull the hammer back after the shot ready for the next shot. When loaded correctly hey are just as accurate as a modern revolver. - They are sec 1 firearms but no problem if you are a member of a club. I have a copy of a 1858 Remington .44 revolver and a .36 single shot duelling pistol.

Do the revolvers fire multiple shots like a regular revolver would? Are they allowed on a fac over here then? Sounds like fun.....

Yep,they're usually 6 shot and either single or double action.

Mine is a 1980's Italian copy of a Remington 1858 in 44 calibre. Sometimes i struggle to hit a target the size of a sheet of A4 paper at 25mtrs so they're not the most accurate gun in my hands.

They are good fun to shoot-especially when you use genuine blackpowder so you get all the smoke and smells and not the stuff that Satan uses...Pyrodex which is the modern day version of it. Only downside to blackpowder is its still legally classed as an explosive so you need the relevant certificate from the Police,but fortunately this dont cost a penny.You do need to store it in a wooden box which complies with HSE regs though.

• 6 years later...
On 12/04/2013 at 23:40, 1066 said:

Yes, once you have loaded the 6 chambers with powder and lead ball and placed percussion caps on the nipples at the rear of the cylinder they are ready to shoot - Most of the revolvers are copies of the 1850-1870 originals, usually single action, meaning you need to pull the hammer back after the shot ready for the next shot. When loaded correctly hey are just as accurate as a modern revolver. - They are sec 1 firearms but no problem if you are a member of a club. I have a copy of a 1858 Remington .44 revolver and a .36 single shot duelling pistol.

someone is missing some information here,about black powder revolvers,percussion muskets,flintlocks,bp shot guns,some restrictions here such as winchester 1887,lever action for example can 5 in the magazine,there are others like this in this form,must be modified to hold only 2 in the magazine,now i forget the uk cutoff date but some where around,all of these guns are 1005 free to own in the uk,they also can only be proofed for black powder,there are some exeptions such as all guns shooting 22 rimfire short long long rifle,are not included as amunition is still available,i am in the netherlands,but can bring my 44 remington new model army home with me if i like.example,antique short barrelled coach 12g,in centre fire bp,no problem .no licence at all required and no registration.now the relica revolvers mostly from italy do not fall into this catagory,because they are new.so can only on a fac.BUT here is the thing,if you want to actualy shoot it!there are two sides to this also,firstly yes you need an fac,and a place to shoot it,i,e gun club membership,for a pistol,or perhaps permission on farmland to control game etc.for a bp shotgun of course standard rules such as gun safes etc.normal fac rules etc.but with fac you can also now buy and own also the replica colt and remingtons.there is also a second type of license possible that is right to hold one of these antiques or replicas for occasional shooting,this is for re-enactment purposes,film productions,and gun collectors.so now you have your gun legaly,but you still cannot shoot it.black powder is an explosive therefore you need a second license,that is an explosive licence.you can hold up to 10 kilos of bp but another storeage safe is required for that also.bp is an explosive,unlike modern amunition that is fired  by a propellant,which is not and explosive.you can get out of this problem by useing synthetic bp such as pyrodex or 777 as it is not an explosive,also wont work to prime a flintlock.and it fowls the gun more than bp.

Hi William Bonney - I see this is your first post on this forum so welcome, although I think an introduction in the welcome page might be in order.

The Winchester 1887 was a poor design in the first place but you are correct, as with other pump and semi-auto shotguns they could have been held on a shotgun licence prior to 1988, after that date the magazine capacity was limited to 2+1 unless held on a FAC certificate.

On 12/04/2013 at 15:07, Imperfection said:

In America any gun made before 1898 or replica, or and muzzle loading weapon aren’t considered firearms.  Guns manufactured after 1898 but are 50 years old (rolling calendar year) are firearms but considered curios and relics and can be shipped straight to your house alone with government surplus guns that are purchased CMP.  But I bet that’s about to change as some older Ar15s qualifies as C&R exempt.  I just ordered a M1 garand in 30/06 and one in 308 from Uncle Sam but I’m hearing ship times are like 3-6 months and they don’t offer tracking.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

45 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

In America any gun made before 1898 or replica, or and muzzle loading weapon aren’t considered firearms.  Guns manufactured after 1898 but are 50 years old (rolling calendar year) are firearms but considered curios and relics and can be shipped straight to your house alone with government surplus guns that are purchased CMP.  But I bet that’s about to change as some older Ar15s qualifies as C&R exempt.  I just ordered a M1 garand in 30/06 and one in 308 from Uncle Sam but I’m hearing ship times are like 3-6 months and they don’t offer tracking.  

Interesting - So, are you saying something like a Colt Python, designed in the mid 1950's, now around 70 years old comes under this 50 year rule and something like a .44 Auto-Mag designed and produced almost 50 years ago will also soon qualify? and of course, a Colt 1911 at well over 100 year old would qualify as a curio or relic?

2 hours ago, 1066 said:

Interesting - So, are you saying something like a Colt Python, designed in the mid 1950's, now around 70 years old comes under this 50 year rule and something like a .44 Auto-Mag designed and produced almost 50 years ago will also soon qualify? and of course, a Colt 1911 at well over 100 year old would qualify as a curio or relic?

Yes,  them and even some of the earlier ar15s known as Colt sp1s are C&R.  If it’s 50years old it can be mail ordered to your house.  You pay $30 every years for a background check and they give you a curio and relics license (as long as you are not a felon).  You can then get them shipped to you house provided it’s 50 years or older.  Basically you just get background checked every three years instead of filling out 2 pages of paperwork and pay a $20 background check every time you buy a gun.  If you buy two old guns in those three years it cheaper to get the license.   But unlike the pre1898 that allows replicas C&R only applies to actual manufacturing date.  So not all 1911s will qualify. 

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/02/15/ar-15s-eligible-cr-ffl-transfers/

Edited by NoBodyImportant