What Choke For Decoying?

tjm160

What choke do members use for decoying?

I'm presently on the default 1/4 + 1/2 for my B525 (used successfully for clays) and my first outing the other day resulted in a very uncomfortable number of 'winged' birds with 7 1/2 shot. OK, I need to switch over to 5 or 6-shot for rough shooting, but should I also look to tighten the choke a little (e.g. to say 1/2 and 3/4 or even 1/2 and full)?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use 1/4 in both and use both 6 and 7.5 if birds are decoying close i use 7.5 in first barrel with good affect as long as birds in around 30 yards and remember to keep that gun moving

Edited by postie

Thanks again gents, I'm going to stick with the present choke config for now (not least to save changing between clays and rough shooting) and just move to 6-shot in the top barrel.

I use Hull Super Fast Fibre 27g 7 1/2 shot for clays. Are these generally also ok for pigeons over decoys (for the bottom barrel - 1/4 choke) or would it be better to upgrade the load to ~30g+, as well as moving to 6-shot in the top barrel (1/2 choke)?

open and 1/4.......the whole point of decoying is to get em close enuff to shoot em 25-35 yds..then it dosnt matter what cartridge you use or what lenght barrells you have...if you have too tight a choke and close shooting you mash em up...........

open and 1/4.......the whole point of decoying is to get em close enuff to shoot em 25-35 yds..then it dosnt matter what cartridge you use or what lenght barrells you have...if you have too tight a choke and close shooting you mash em up...........

+1