What Choke For Decoying?

tjm160

Thanks delburt, as I'm already using the Hull 27g 7 1/2's, I think I'd prefer to try the 30g 6's before any others, particularly if sub £5 a box :yes: I take it they will kick a bit more than the 27g?

not that much :lol::lol::lol: they do the job well and have a very big punch on the birds to 40yds your shoulder might take a battering if you are using them in a light gun and have a good day but its all fun of the chase :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

open and 1/4.......the whole point of decoying is to get em close enuff to shoot em 25-35 yds..then it dosnt matter what cartridge you use or what lenght barrells you have...if you have too tight a choke and close shooting you mash em up...........

Have to agree if your shooting pigeons out at 40yds plus then improve your fieldcraft at decoying!!

Seems pointless to compensate lack of ability to build a good hide and get the decoy pattern right by using heavy cartridges and tight chokes!

On the day 28g 6 or 7's are perfect for pigeon over decoys!!

masmiffy, on 15 May 2013 - 11:06, said:

Have to agree if your shooting pigeons out at 40yds plus then improve your fieldcraft at decoying!!

Seems pointless to compensate lack of ability to build a good hide and get the decoy pattern right by using heavy cartridges and tight chokes!

Some people get bored stupid shooting decoying pigeons at 20yrds.

I much prefer taking sporting shots rather than constantly aiming straight at a landing bird 20 yards away..... Might as well let them land and use an airgun.

I`m with chrispti, with whom I`ve shot on numerous occassions, on this one.

It has little to do with field craft and is the difference between a bag of 60-70 birds,such as I might shoot,killing birds over the decoys at 25-30 yards,and the 150-200 that he might bag under similar conditions by engaging everything that flies past within killing range.

And he has the photo`s to prove it.

Edited by mudpatten

1/2 choke for me (semi auto) and 28g of 5s though I think my next batch may well be 30g or 32g and may be 6s.

This is a question where we all have our own answer, personally I've never shot well with smaller than no.6 shot - I guess that means I tend to take longer shots than those who swear by 7.5s.

Experiment, it's the only way you'll find what works best for you :good:

Personaly I never go by what the choke designation says. I experiment with choke/cartridge combinations untill I get the kills I'm happy with be it clays or live quarry.Remember also that choke is only relevant to the barrel that it's in, in other words a half choke in an older beretta barrel (renowned for being on the 'tight side') may well throw patterns equivalent to a 3/4 choke in say a 'back bored' Miroku or Browning. Then of course it depends on which cartridge you use. A felt/fibre wad will always throw more open patterns than an equivalent plaswad. Then it can depend on what weight of shot that particular shell contains as 24 gram shells have shorter stiffer wads than a 1 1/8 oz game shell. Hardness of shot is one of the biggest factors, top quality 'hard' shot (containing a higher antimony content) will throw denser patterns than 'soft' shot (used in game shells in order to open up patterns and deform on impact so as to impart energy into carcass helping to ensure a clean kill) Hitting targets with the 'centre' of any pattern will gain you about 5yds over 'outer edge' strikes. Hitting live quarry 'up front' will ALWAYS give cleaner kills than 'mid body' strikes. Then there's pattern density, shot size, (be careful as Italian 7.5s are equall to English 7s for example). To add more confusion some manufacturer's size 6 will be on the border of another's 5 or 7 ! ETC . I'd better stop here or I'll end up confusing myself! Best advice I can give is not to get to hung up on it, just go out and find what combination of range, make/shot size of shell along with choke ensures clean kills if you 'do your bit' then you will have found 'your ideal recipe! sorry to be so long winded but as you can see it's a big subject, all the best ,Remmyman

Remmyman you beat me to it.

Different guns will pattern differently with different carts. Put it on a pattern plate and see what it does. My 27 year old S687 shoots tight, with 1/4 choke and 8 shot its a clay killer.

My Browning Maxus for Pigeons is great with a 1/2 choke and 30g of 6 shot, it doesn't shred them close in and it still knocks them dead at 100 paces. With the same cartridge if i stick in a 3/4 choke it wrecks the pattern, it seems that you get pellet bounce out of the choke and shooting at an empty cartridge box at 30 yards you would count the holes on one hand, where as the 1/2 choke you would have to take your socks off as well to count the holes, unless you live in Norfolk,

My Maxus has the 3 1/2" chamber and i'm sure it would pattern differently to the 3" version. As remmyman Said you need to do you're bit, to find you're ideal recipe.

Regards,

Due to the lack of pigeons down here in Devon my main pest targets are rooks, crows and jackdaws. For this I use a 32 gram size 5 shot in my semi auto with full choke. To start with I tried 1/2 the 3/4 choke but found full choke best for those high up and out shots which kills them stone dead.

I have shot a few pigeon to date and still find them ok for eating.

With a full choke the recoil is slightly harder but find the new comfort tec system of the Benelli super black eagle 11 dampens the recoil greatly. To be totally honest I do like the longer ranged shots and the more precise shot. For this reason I purposely set my decoy patterns further out but then every body does it differently and every body is entitled to their own opinion. In however you do it and get clean kills just enjoy your sport

• 2 weeks later...

What a load of tosh !

Pigeon shooting is about pest control , the further out you can shoot the more will end up in the bag , what about second barrel shots do you think that second bird is going to hang about, also a lot of us pigeon shooters use semi autos so have a third shot available too .

Also take into consideration the times you have no option to shoot with the wind in your face and need to have the decoys further out in the field .

What a load of tosh !

Pigeon shooting is about pest control , the further out you can shoot the more will end up in the bag , what about second barrel shots do you think that second bird is going to hang about, also a lot of us pigeon shooters use semi autos so have a third shot available too .

Also take into consideration the times you have no option to shoot with the wind in your face and need to have the decoys further out in the field .

Sometimes the birds just don't want to decoy, especially if they were shot at recently.

So its a case of shooting rangy birds or go home empty handed.

Edited by chrispti

i must admit, i do agree that if it is within your capabilities, then why not shoot out as far as you feel comfortable?

your bang on with the fact that ultimately, it is pest control, so the more that are taken, the better.

personally, i dont shoot out too far as im still fairly new to it all, but as my shooting improves then i can happily say that i will have no probs pushing my range out as my skills get better.