Best day for a long time

bakerboy

I went for a ride round this morning looking for pigeons, nothing to be seen.

Got a phone call from a friend and he was having the same problem :no: .

Went home and earned some Brownie points, then mid afternoon found a bit of time to spare so went to an area I have been watching for a while.

The pigeons seem to like this patch in the late afternoon, so I decided to give it a go. :good:

Layed the pattern out in the usual horseshoe, used a magnet a couple of floaters and a couple of peckers, and in they came. :good:

Initially I shot like an idiot, I then started hitting some but not bringing them down :oops:

By now I was getting frustrated, spoke to my mate and he asked what chokes I had in, the suggestion being to tighten up a bit (spare chokes at home).

I then decided to calm down and only shoot at those I was positive I could hit, and down came the birds. I still tried the occasional distance shot to no avail on most occasions, but was rewarded every now and then.

I ended the day with 53 birds all picked, for 119 shots :yahoo: , so pretty pleased with myself at the end of the day; just wondering whether tighter chokes or a heavier load would have made any differenence, I was using 28gr 7.5's.

I took a picture of the first 23 I shot as the phone was out of charge and felt best to have a little in reserve just in case.

My friend is covering the spot for me tomorrow and I wil be back on Thursday afternoon.

In conclusion I am feeling pretty good, it has been a long time coming, lets hope it continues for a while yet

Good day, well done!

As for your choice of load, when I have trouble getting them in close enough for a good shot ( round here they are "magnet shy", I think and tend to pull out at 40+yards) I use 32 gm of No5 shot. That knocks them down and they stay down!! 1/4 and 1/2 choke in my s/side so I have the choice. can even load no6 shot in the 1/4 choke for birds that do decoy well.

Anyway, keep up the good work!!

Went home and earned some Brownie points, then mid afternoon found a bit of time to spare so went to an area I have been watching for a while.

The pigeons seem to like this patch in the late afternoon, so I decided to give it a go. :good:

Layed the pattern out in the usual horseshoe, used a magnet a couple of floaters and a couple of peckers, and in they came. :good:

Initially I shot like an idiot, I then started hitting some but not bringing them down :oops:

By now I was getting frustrated, spoke to my mate and he asked what chokes I had in, the suggestion being to tighten up a bit (spare chokes at home).

I then decided to calm down and only shoot at those I was positive I could hit, and down came the birds. I still tried the occasional distance shot to no avail on most occasions, but was rewarded every now and then.

I ended the day with 53 birds all picked, for 119 shots :yahoo: , so pretty pleased with myself at the end of the day; just wondering whether tighter chokes or a heavier load would have made any differenence, I was using 28gr 7.5's.

I took a picture of the first 23 I shot as the phone was out of charge and felt best to have a little in reserve just in case.

My friend is covering the spot for me tomorrow and I wil be back on Thursday afternoon.

In conclusion I am feeling pretty good, it has been a long time coming, lets hope it continues for a while yet

Hi mate i know that you have a lot more experience than me but if you dont mind i have a suggestion for the distance birds

move closer :lol::lol::lol:

well done mate glad had a good day speak soon Rob

Well done BB , I cant really see that going tighter on the chokes would of helped with the misses , and the loads you hit but did not bring down , well you would perhaps killed them or on the other hand missed them altogether .

having said that I do tend to shoot a tighter choke than most for decoying and find it very effective with the 7 1/2 s

Edited by fenboy