best running dog for rabbit

theosmith

Like said beddy whippet, pure whippet, bull x whippet, or a saluki x whippet or another good choice whippet x collie x grey i have a whip collie grey cross 24 tts very fast works 4 nights a week on the lamp and 2 days genral walking and ferret work. But it helps if we know what sort of work you intend to do with it i.e lamping, working over ferrets or flushing and chase each cross has its own advantages for diffrent things. If you are mainly working over a ferret with the odd bit of lamping then i would go pure whippet as its smaller and more nimble and quicker of the mark. If mainly lamping then either a beddy whip or bull x whip the bull gives the dog a little more stammina and have found that they are more keen. Horses for courses. But i would deffonatly go with either a full whippet or beddy or even a wheaton whippet or collie whippet cross.

But have a think about the work it will be doing were and how often you will be running it.

As i said i work mine 6 days a week one days full rest and have had some real good catches. Just remember becareful what you put your dog on as hare and fox is illegal so if you get a bull x or a beddy or wheaton x just make sure you identify the quarry properly before the slip unless you live in ireland. Atb and good luck chris.

it would be for lamp fox on a fri sometimes a sat

flush or catch what it like 2-3 times after work

and live loose on a farm 5days a week while at work so needs to hang about and come home

im not bothered about it retrieving but getting a fox in ireland sounds good too but how would i stop it getting dere if on a chase for rabbit?

it would be for lamp fox on a fri sometimes a sat

flush or catch what it like 2-3 times after work

and live loose on a farm 5days a week while at work so needs to hang about and come home

im not bothered about it retrieving but getting a fox in ireland sounds good too but how would i stop it getting dere if on a chase for rabbit?

Are you for real or just posting for a wind up

We're being invaded by the hunting life fraternity. "****** sir..............thousands of them!"

More then likely mate tryed giving some advice and made it clear that FOX HARE AND DEER are ILLEGAL. Then says for foxing which is worrying. Yes its legal in ireland. But this guy lives in england. So im out. Bye.

I want it to catch rabbits , when i shoot a fox bring it back because the jackrussel finds them too heavy. I dont want it to catch deer but there is loads on my land and it cant attack the pheasants otherwise it defeats me doing my job

And it cant get the hare nor can i shoot them

If you want to retrieve shot foxes, train a lab to do it. If they are not dead enough after being shot train a GWP to do it (it will figure out the tricky bit itself). If you want a dog to catch rabbits under the lamp then take the advice of those who have posted that know running dogs - I don't. Sounds a bit like crossed purposes?