best running dog for rabbit

theosmith

If you want to retrieve shot foxes, train a lab to do it. If they are not dead enough after being shot train a GWP to do it (it will figure out the tricky bit itself). If you want a dog to catch rabbits under the lamp then take the advice of those who have posted that know running dogs - I don't. Sounds a bit like crossed purposes?

I was going to suggest that wgd a lab or spaniel would be far better to retrieve fox. All it takes is someone with a camera even at night to see a lurcher carrying a fox and take a pic and your in trouble. Plus most lurchers especielly small ones but even larger crosses want retrieve a fox there instinct is to rag the hell out of it till the handler takes it from them. Or the fox is life less then they walk away from it.

Just stick with a small whippet to lamp rabbits plus they are small enough to enter cover and flush them aswell. As for bull cross being only good for fox thats a load of crock.

The bull was put into lurchers mainly for the stamina, the drive, and for the grip once they make the take. Yes they are commonly used for foxing. But any lurcher will take a fox or a hare or deer. Its there natural instinct not what is put in them for them its a chase and when close enough they strike its what they do.

Us as handlers need to be responsable and condition the dogs.

I think the main issue on this thread is having a dog you can leave to fend for itself in a farmyard and trust it not to go off hunting, and being able to choose between deer and rabbits when under the lamp. That dog hasn't been invented yet, my GWP will tackle injured foxes as a few on here are witness to and has the speed to run them down as well but no way would I suggest one as it would be totally unsuitable left to hunt on its own.

Dog wont be fending for its self it just needs to hang roundmy yardall thats on there is few bunnies , i cant leave it at home as i live in a flat hence coming to work with me and i dont want to leave it tied up my jack russell hangs around and if it goes walkies allways comes back or sits on the forktrucks being driven around

I hate it when people criticise spelling & such but in this case the OP's spelling & punctuation make his posts so hard to read & understand

theosmith maybe you should read your post before you hit the post button that way we would all understand what you mean & what you want, this is not an attack its meant in a constructive way

Dog to chase catch rabbit ( small to medium lurcher)
Retrieve dead shot foxes ( big Lab)
Hang around and not run away ( very old lab)
Be able to get rabbits underlamp and flush during the day ( small to medium lurcher and a spaniel)

You need 4 dogs :):):):)