Hardcore carp anglers?

Mr-Sheen

I used to be bang into carp fishing in my teens, I'm 36 now.

As with a lot of thing I drifted out of it but thankfully still kept all the gear, I go rarely now but have Furnace Lakes on my doorstep which is useful.

I've never fished any of the famous lakes but used to love reading about them.

Anyone here fished Redmire?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carp never interested me when I was in the UK, mainly because where I lived there were so few decent waters and plenty of free barbel fishing. Since moving to France last year though I've been spending a few afternoons in pursuit of carp. I don't fish the commercials, just the rivers and big public lakes. Last year I found a pod of very large carp tucked away in a corner of one of the bigger lakes. Best I managed was mid-twenties and lost three fish that could have been double that. They should be back there after spawning so I've upped my gear to have another crack at them. I prefer to find my own fish and keep out of the way of the locals with their four-rod pods and inflatable boats to take their bait out. There is plenty of room on the lakes and they don't tend to bother with the places where you can't park right next to the water or the rivers where I live.

Did use to be into my carp fishing and try to do 2 nights a week. I seemed to lose interest after a trip in France when I managed 18 fish in a week with 16 of them being 30's just did not feel the same when got back to UK. This also coincided with me giving up smoking and have not wet a line since.

Have still got £100's worth of gear and tackle in the garage in case I ever get the urge again

As Colin lad said a couple of chub or owt else from a river(Don in my case) worth dozens o fish from a carp puddle! A1 pits have been dodgy at night for as long as I remember so we only go if lots of us go been some blokes have severe beatins on there. Do enjoy summer fishing some ponds in woodhall spa and Ravenfield ponds Rotherham wi my kids though no point strugglin for bites with a 6 an 4 yr old in tow.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to be bang into carp fishing in my teens, I'm 36 now.

As with a lot of thing I drifted out of it but thankfully still kept all the gear, I go rarely now but have Furnace Lakes on my doorstep which is useful.

I've never fished any of the famous lakes but used to love reading about them.

Anyone here fished Redmire?

Yes. ....I've fished Redmire and have to say it is the most beautiful carp pool I've ever fished. I don't do much carp fishing these days and only have the old glass Bruce and Walker carp rods that I bought with my first months wages back in about 1978. The pool is just gorgeous and so steeped in history that you can't help but have a grin on your face if you are lucky enough to tread its banks....my picture is one I took there about 5/6 years ago. Edited by Passionforangling

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. ....I've fished Redmire and have to say it is the most beautiful carp pool I've ever fished. I don't do much carp fishing these days and only have the old glass Bruce and Walker carp rods that I bought with my first months wages back in about 1978. The pool is just gorgeous and so steeped in history that you can't help but have a grin on your face if you are lucky enough to tread its banks....my picture is one I took there about 5/6 years ago.

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

Maybe one day I'll get myself there!

Yes. ....I've fished Redmire and have to say it is the most beautiful carp pool I've ever fished. I don't do much carp fishing these days and only have the old glass Bruce and Walker carp rods that I bought with my first months wages back in about 1978. The pool is just gorgeous and so steeped in history that you can't help but have a grin on your face if you are lucky enough to tread its banks....my picture is one I took there about 5/6 years ago.

Chis Yates style, can't help but be captivated by such a magical place. One I have yearned to fish ever since passion for angling, I knew about it before of course but bringing into your living room was magical.

Best fishing series ever in my opinion. Bought home the magic of fishing that I lost somehow on the way and with it I lost my passion for angling.

Carp fishing ruined me and I'm only just starting to relies it.

Karpman

I am glad I got out of carp fishing.... love going on the rivers now and normally have it to myself

Can still fish the rivers for carp! Im lucky enough to have a friend who has a 2 mile stretch of the River Witham that i have rights to and there are some genuinely wild carp in there and they are of a very good size.

• 3 weeks later...

Stopped carp fishing hardcore about 6 years ago, after doing 3-4 nights a week trying to catch toadless the leather, which lived in the place I learned how to fish.

Like a couple of you I have took to the rivers and never looked back. As much as I love carp fishing it is definitely more predictable than fishing a river after heavy rain. With a river you just don't know whats round the next corner, and that for me is what its all about. I spent my youth down my local pits, cutting my own swims, sailing to islands, climbing trees, then the club took over and out came the bark paths and sleeper swims. I used to love popping my head over some reeds and spotting a fish in a place that I considered unchartered. Such places are hard to come by now so for me, the magic of carping has gone. And not to mention the companies matting there fair share of instant anglers with gimmicks as bait. LONG LIVE THE CLOSED SEASON!!

Toadless died last week.

Stopped carp fishing hardcore about 6 years ago, after doing 3-4 nights a week trying to catch toadless the leather, which lived in the place I learned how to fish.

Like a couple of you I have took to the rivers and never looked back. As much as I love carp fishing it is definitely more predictable than fishing a river after heavy rain. With a river you just don't know whats round the next corner, and that for me is what its all about. I spent my youth down my local pits, cutting my own swims, sailing to islands, climbing trees, then the club took over and out came the bark paths and sleeper swims. I used to love popping my head over some reeds and spotting a fish in a place that I considered unchartered. Such places are hard to come by now so for me, the magic of carping has gone. And not to mention the companies matting there fair share of instant anglers with gimmicks as bait. LONG LIVE THE CLOSED SEASON!!