Hardcore carp anglers?

Mr-Sheen

Good morning all,

After renewing my season tickets on a few venues i was wondering if we had any hardcore carp anglers on the forum, some real dedicated bank tramps amongst the shooting ranks?

If so, where are we all fishing this year (don't have to give away any names)? Any particular fish you are after? And how are you all going about it?

I couldn't find any serious threads on here so thought some people might be interested.

ATB Tom

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ill be on the banks for a few overnighters at some point this year, had a little girl last year so havent had the time to get out as much as i would like. Still managed to get a trip into france to catch a few larger ones last summer though. Afraid i dont class as fanatical or hardcore though, just another hobby to get me out of the house, away from the tv and into the fresh air :)

Off fly fishing in a min, dont want to waste a nice day and they will be taking the dry fly whether they like it or not :)

I was a very avid carp angler, rig innovator, bait inventor, etc., back through the 60's, 70's and 80's, then it became too easy to catch a 20 pounder and the lakes became full of "instant carp anglers". thats when I lost interest.

Nowadays, if you start carp fishing and haven't had a 30 pounder in the first month, you are considered a numpty.

I went over to tench and bream fishing for a few years and then concentrated for a time on big perch and roach, but generally lost a lot of interest in coarse fishing.

I have always sea fished and game fished, both in the UK and overseas, but I have cut this back in the UK,, as the quality of fishing has deteriorated quite a bit IMO.

Use to be a Carper and do 2/3 nights on the bank but with the cost now and family time and work don't go as much at all

Now just stick to odd day ticket and the rivers

Similar to me then, but i gave up because of shooting a few years ago and have kept my season tickets incase i ever wanted to go back to the syndicates!

Like wise

I used to do loads but my carp fishing is pretty much limited to a week in france each year now.

Where a bouts do you fish when in france? I have a yearly trip to etang du moulin de bley in central france, lovely weather and very far out of the way, although the drive is a killer its worth it as you are so far away from humanity! Except a very small little town which seems to always have the best wine!

ill be on the banks for a few overnighters at some point this year, had a little girl last year so havent had the time to get out as much as i would like. Still managed to get a trip into france to catch a few larger ones last summer though. Afraid i dont class as fanatical or hardcore though, just another hobby to get me out of the house, away from the tv and into the fresh air :)

Off fly fishing in a min, dont want to waste a nice day and they will be taking the dry fly whether they like it or not :)

Glad you are getting back on the bank, but family has to come first! How did you get on with the fluff chucking today?

I was a very avid carp angler, rig innovator, bait inventor, etc., back through the 70's and 80's, then it became too easy to catch a 20 pounder and the lakes became full of "instant carp anglers". thats when I lost interest.

Nowadays, if you start carp fishing and haven't had a 30 pounder in the first month, you are considered a numpty.

I went over to tench and bream fishing for a few years and then concentrated for a time on big perch and roach, but generally lost a lot of interest in coarse fishing.

I have always sea fished and game fished, both in the UK and overseas, but I have cut this back quite a bit in the UK,, as the quality of fishing has deteriorated quite a bit IMO.

Its a shame that the whole generation of instant carp anglers made you give up something that you love, i myself just put up with the cr*p that they spout out whilst fishing but being as miserable as i am they soon wander off huffing when i tell them the bait I'm using is a round one!

It may be the case down south, but a lincs 20lb carp is still a very special fish and a 30 even more so! I have been relatively lucky to fish some very historical lakes down south, but the river's, canals and small estate lakes are the one's that keep me coming back!

If you ever fancy going for tench and bream again, you are welcome to come guest on my local syndicate, its got bream to 14lb+ and tench way over double figures.

I fish a a lake called Le Moulin Du Mee www.carpdreams.com

Lovely quiet lake with some cracking fish.

France is always a bit of a treat for me, I'm never too bothered about the fish there so long as it is a lovely place!

When i started this thread, i thought if there was a big enough response it might be possible to start a pigeon watch carp social, although i understand that fishing is a personal past time and many on here are anglers of the fluff chucking variety, but a charity social/ fish in is always a good time!

Spent years carp fishing ran the bait dept at premier baits for a few years as well, still do quite a bit now but no where near as serious as i used to be, used to fish all round the colne valley, darenth valley conningbrook etc only really fish my local club waters nowday's, never really been into the whole foriegn fish thing but totally undertsand why lad's do it.

Fishing very much caters for everyones interest's. What is it you fish for 'Oscarsdad'?

I didn't mean to be critical of carp anglers - just not my thing.

My favourite is fly fishing small rivers, but love coarse fishing as well. Had my first permit and bonefish last month in the Caribbean which was awesome and have also caught sturgeon in British Columbia. I will fish for anything, I just prefer less artificial venues. I have fished my fair share of carp puddles, especially when introducing someone to the sport. Mackerel on the fly is awesome when I can get to the coast...winter beach fishing has been a waste of time as petrol recently - maybe I should replace that with carping lol.

Edited by oscarsdad

My favourite is fly fishing small rivers, but love coarse fishing as well. Had my first permit and bonefish last month in the Caribbean which was awesome and have also caught sturgeon in British Columbia. I will fish for anything, I just prefer less artificial venues. I have fished my fair share of carp puddles, especially when introducing someone to the sport. Mackerel on the fly is awesome when I can get to the coast...winter beach fishing has been a waste of time as petrol recently - maybe I should replace that with carping lol.

Taking carp off the top with a fly rod is a crack :good:

No i understand, sea fishing isn't my cup of tea (mainly because i can't a boat but hey ho!).

I have never had a real opportunity to give fly fishing a go, although I'm sure i would love it, lincolnshire isn't known for its fantastic trout or salmon waters though.

Spent years carp fishing ran the bait dept at premier baits for a few years as well, still do quite a bit now but no where near as serious as i used to be, used to fish all round the colne valley, darenth valley conningbrook etc only really fish my local club waters nowday's, never really been into the whole foriegn fish thing but totally undertsand why lad's do it.

How long ago were you working at PB lumpy? About 5 seasons ago i was using one of your custom rolled baits with a group of lads and it was excellent! Without a doubt the best bait i have ever used, i think it was called something along the lines of 'Crab and tutti', although i don't think they make it any more?

No i understand, sea fishing isn't my cup of tea (mainly because i can't a boat but hey ho!).

You don't need a boat mate...I am from Nottingham so grew up fishing the Lincolnshire coast...get down to Sutton or Sandilands in the summer when it's a hot day with no wind, get yourself some crab and the cast as far as you can....one of the best spots in the whole country for smoothhound and they go like stink! Carp rods will be fine, but don't leave they unattended as the bits are savage.

I have never had a real opportunity to give fly fishing a go, although I'm sure i would love it, lincolnshire isn't known for its fantastic trout or salmon waters though.

How long ago were you working at PB lumpy? About 5 seasons ago i was using one of your custom rolled baits with a group of lads and it was excellent! Without a doubt the best bait i have ever used, i think it was called something along the lines of 'Crab and tutti', although i don't think they make it any more?

I left in 2004 mate shortly after Geoff bower's left, Crab and Tutti would have been the flavour combo do you know what the base mix was ? PB are still trading however they have gone downhill quite a bit and as a result have downsized to a small premises, if you can remember the base mix you had i could tell you how to put some together !

I left in 2004 mate shortly after Geoff bower's left, Crab and Tutti would have been the flavour combo do you know what the base mix was ? PB are still trading however they have gone downhill quite a bit and as a result have downsized to a small premises, if you can remember the base mix you had i could tell you how to put some together !

Im pretty sure when i look on the site it was the matrix plus base mix, i don't have any clue what flavours went into it, all i know is it was a bit different and really worked! If you know any more about it, please drop me a PM as id love to get back on it, especially rolling it myself!

Oh and the supply shortfall of sbs frankfurter flavour done me too could not find anything nearly as devastating.

Karpman

Sounds like a few real anglers have left the bank in recent time's. Its such a shame as now all that is left are the munga brigade :no:

Im pretty sure when i look on the site it was the matrix plus base mix, i don't have any clue what flavours went into it, all i know is it was a bit different and really worked! If you know any more about it, please drop me a PM as id love to get back on it, especially rolling it myself!

PM sent

I was a very avid carp angler, rig innovator, bait inventor, etc., back through the 60's, 70's and 80's, then it became too easy to catch a 20 pounder and the lakes became full of "instant carp anglers". thats when I lost interest.

I have always sea fished and game fished, both in the UK and overseas, but I have cut this back in the UK,, as the quality of fishing has deteriorated quite a bit IMO.

Im a Numpty then :sad1:

Im a Numpty then :sad1:

Lol but thirties are within reach of mere mortals and quite easily accessed in a lot of fisheries now.

My first twenty was a common and was very special the photo still resides in my Lounge. First night on new water an hour in and bang target achieved lol.

Karpman