Hardcore carp anglers?

Mr-Sheen

Glad you are getting back on the bank, but family has to come first! How did you get on with the fluff chucking today?

:) just the one today, about 2lb. the place was dead until around 7 when a nice hatch erupted, unfortunately the mrs called me back soon after but i still managed to sneak one in :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a Numpty then :sad1:

lol i'm sure thats not the case mate, as Karpman said big fish are more readily available now than they ever was ! over the years i've had loads of fish big and small but for me personally i consider any fish caught from a hard water much more of an achievment than a 30/40lb fish caught from a mickey mouse comercial water.

Used to be through the 80's & 90's but Cranfield summed it up nicely, totally lost interest with it and looking at the kit available now it makes me wonder if you took all theirs toys and luxuries away how good would they be then!

Went back to fly fishing around 2001 which on the odd occasion gets me some nasty looks and comments from some of the carp boys as every now and then i have taken a few good carp off the top with the fly rod ..... Old habits die hard!

Same as most on here had ten grands worth of gear use to fish hard core all year up and down country fished ebro Canada Spain france and denmark

Had a cracking 15 year at it and metbsome great mates but dont miss the cold nites was on A1 pits 6 year ago when 6 people all got robbed so thought it was time to leave carping

Edited by swiss.tony

Same as most on here had ten grands worth of gear use to fish hard core all year up and down country fished ebro Canada Spain france and denmark

Had a cracking 15 year at it and metbsome great mates but dont miss the cold nites was on A1 pits 6 year ago when 6 people all got robbed so thought it was time to leave carping

Thats the reason i stay well away from the circuit waters, i only fish some very private lakes or paces that are kept well locked up. I didn't realise A1 was bad for having your gear stolen though?

I was planning on giving it a go at some point!

Thats the reason i stay well away from the circuit waters, i only fish some very private lakes or paces that are kept well locked up. I didn't realise A1 was bad for having your gear stolen though?

Me neither,im going there soon for a couple of nights....

Glad iv bought a motion detector now !!!

Me neither,im going there soon for a couple of nights....

Glad iv bought a motion detector now !!!

Im sure you will be fine mate, although fishing round that area i have had some serious p*ssed nutters come and try and get in the bivvy with me at night for a cuddle lol

I remember a few years back a good pal of mine Jock white got beaten quite badly by pykie's on wraysbury, they never took any of his gear it was'nt a theft it was over an insident that happened with the pykie kid's earlier in the day but he spent 4 days in hospital over it, Sadly that was the last time he fished there !

this was proper carp lads nicking other peoples gear they came round looking at every 1s gear on are 1st night of a week session asking or how long you here for mate my mate i was with had his dog so that stand guard they parked on A1 came down bank a nailed every on the a1 side taking rods reels pods landing net marker rods and that they could get only lad they missed was a kid with txi alarms and anti theft so they new what they were doing now that's not my idea of fun so went back full time with guns

i do think that a lot of this carp fishing in these commercial carp puddles isn't really what i would call fishing it's catching as there is not a lot of skill involved would much prefer having a go on the rivers i know they are not what they use to be but i feel they are more challenging,

would rather go home after a day on the river with only a chub or 2 for my days work than sat on some carp puddle with a bag full of stocked carp but that's just me

but i do think they are great for beginners and kids to fish as it keeps them interested and gets them hooked ( no pun intended )

colin

Spent most of my time for a good 10 years carp fishing, now just fit in a few sessions each year. I just can't commit the time to it to do it properly! Fished a few known waters, but always ended up back trying to find that special unknown fish. Best season ever was fishing a 56 acre gravel pit that was run as a trout water, however it was rumoured to contain a very small head of original fish. I approached the owner and talked him into letting me have 1 season on there, he thought i was mad as he was adamant that there were no carp in there.

Fished that water for 4 nights a week for over 2 months before i even saw a carp, i was just beginning to lose any faith that it had any carp in it at that point then a large fish head and shouldered tight against an island a good 300 yards out. It was another month before i saw any fish again, this time while walking round i spotted 4 fish all tight in to the bank, quickly i ran to the car and grabbed 2 rods/net and ran back, they had moved a little so i laid 2 traps of 6 tiger nuts with a critically balanced hookbait where they had been. It took about an hour for them to return and it was like nothing i had ever seen before, they circled the tigers for what seemed an age, then 1 would spook and they all would swim away, only to return a minute or two later. eventually a single tiger was taken, then they all started competing for the remainders and i had my first take, resulting after a small battle in a mint probably uncaught 32lb common.

I fished that water hard for a season and had one other fish, again after i spotted 3 fish in a small bay, this time a mirror at 35lb. I am sure it was one of the fish from the group of 4 that i saw previous. I kept the captures pretty hush hush, as i was sure that there was something special in there. The lakes were sold off at the end of that season and i have never had the chance to fish there again, i still sneak round it every now and then but it now has a leisure facility on there with houses all along 2 sides, i found a dead mirror 3 years ago that looked to have been another 30+. I reckon that there was only 5 fish left in there when i fished it, so i doubt it holds any now.

Just back from a weekend of blanking at Bluebell lakes in Peterborough. I try to get away between 6 and 10 weekends a year and one of those will be a week session. I used to tell myself I was going for the big carp when I actually go cos I enjoy the whole lazy weekend , chatting to mates about ****, putting the world to rights. Going from meal to meal and being under canvas. Have to say it was bl**** cold this weekend though during the night. Can't wait until next month for the next session now.

An appaling incident and such a shame what is happening to Wraysbury now too.

I remember a few years back a good pal of mine Jock white got beaten quite badly by pykie's on wraysbury, they never took any of his gear it was'nt a theft it was over an insident that happened with the pykie kid's earlier in the day but he spent 4 days in hospital over it, Sadly that was the last time he fished there !

Yeah remember having a look when I was down that way with work beautiful huge and woulda loved a crack. Did terry Hearn not get a beating on there off the pykies some years ago. He took to boating to the most remote areas and using camo to hide.

Mind he made his name being a scroat begging pot noodles and bait lol.

Karpman

Same old story, once mary died all the glory hunters moved onto conningbrook then when two tone died they all went there seperate way's, no doubt they'll all end up on the next lake that turn's up a record fish.

The black mirror was the fish of envy for for me. And would of loved to have a bit to do with savey.

Almost starting to miss it now but enough to dust the rods of yet, the last time I fished was a small pit doing 3 nights a week for low twentys but they had character. Was a magical little place 30 or so quid a year. 4 ft deep in the edge going down to 18 or so in the middle and crystal clear.

Full of cats now, which in itself is not a problem but the place did not need them or the attention it attracts so that was me out.

Spent a good few holidays at anglers paradise, even more commercial now days and probably wouldn't return either.

Karpman

Wraysbury is being split in two with the North turned into a 24 hour day ticket runs water. Fencing work going on now.

http://www.theanglersforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?190667-Wraysbury-1-Day-Ticket

Same old story, once mary died all the glory hunters moved onto conningbrook then when two tone died they all went there seperate way's, no doubt they'll all end up on the next lake that turn's up a record fish.

Edited by Penelope

I'll take a stab in the dark that you know craig stevenson then lumpy if you know some of the savay boys?

Possibly, met a few people over the years lol

Had the Harefield/Horse & Barge experience in the mid 80's when I was taken there on a 5 day guest trip.

Cracking pub ! proper carp anglers pub, i wonder if they still got all the pic's on the wall's ??

Wraysbury is being split in two with the North turned into a 24 hour day ticket runs water. Fencing work going on now.

http://www.theanglersforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?190667-Wraysbury-1-Day-Ticket

Yeh its a shame when they do things like that to the old lakes, same thing happened to Darenth and the yately complex they all turn into money pit's in the end !