young driver insurance

peeblesman

coop were pretty good ,but i have now put my lad on the twin cab insurance as commersial policies for young drivers is cheaper.

on a 1.2 punto £1700 on a 2.5 warrior £900.how can that be right .

got the policy through aviva and he is over the moon at driving a truck

I've said this before but I simply fail to understand how UK insurance companies can get away with such iniquitous prices and why the Govt don't step in, I simply don't know.

Until I emigrated from RSA to Portugal 18 months ago, I was paying about UKP100 a year to insure my 5.9 litre V8 classic Jeep for ANY driver and RSA is the car theft capital of the world.

Now I'm in Portugal, the same car with the same cover costs me just E45 a year.

the insurance prices are mad. when i was 17 i had a vauxhall corsa 2002 plate 1.2 and got insured for £600 im now 22 and have a suzuki jimmny 2002 plate 1.3 and it costs me £1700!!!

yea its a great little truck for off roading but im soon gonna need something bigger and have no idea how im suppose to insure it!!!!!

the insurance prices are mad. when i was 17 i had a vauxhall corsa 2002 plate 1.2 and got insured for £600 im now 22 and have a suzuki jimmny 2002 plate 1.3 and it costs me £1700!!!

yea its a great little truck for off roading but im soon gonna need something bigger and have no idea how im suppose to insure it!!!!!

That seems very very steep, I am 23 and drive a Landrover Discovery. My insurance is SDPC and covers 20,000 miles a year and even that is less than £1000.00. I also had a crash a couple of years ago so only have 2 years NCB.

I've said this before but I simply fail to understand how UK insurance companies can get away with such iniquitous prices and why the Govt don't step in, I simply don't know.

simply because the stats are something like 1 in 3 has an accident in their first two years that is their fault, bearing in mind the value of the damage they can do if they hit a half reasonable car and have a personal injury claim would you insure them for peanuts? or would you expect more careful lower risk drivers to have their policies increased to cover young drivers claims.

You do have to shop about but its never going to be really cheap to get youngsters insured.

I've just spoken to a couple of Yanks and in the States they seem to pay something in the region of US$300 or UKP200 a year for cover on their trucks (both are Jeeps).

As for the UK having a lot of claims, I'd have thought no more than anywhere else in the world and certainly considerably less than in South Africa which is the car theft & hijacking capital of the world and I was only paying about UKP100 a year there.

As for paying UKP5000 a year I find that utterly unimaginable. I'd want to be sleeping with the Chairman's twin daughter's twice a week for that! LOL

i was in rsa last year and its amazing what people will do to avoid hijacking ,there are stories of flame throwers attached under the car.

having said that i have been told that not many people have insurance in south africa so the price cannot be too high or you just wouldnt bother, also car prices to buy were extremely high.

i was in rsa last year and its amazing what people will do to avoid hijacking ,there are stories of flame throwers attached under the car.

having said that i have been told that not many people have insurance in south africa so the price cannot be too high or you just wouldnt bother, also car prices to buy were extremely high.

I think they've made the under car flame throwers illegal now but car hijacking and car theft, especially in the big towns is rampant as is other violent crime. Most whites, (including me when I lived there) slept with a handgun close by (mine was in a holster screwed to the underside of my bedside table).

Insurance isn't obligatory but as a rule of thumb, most whites do have it but many/most ordinary blacks do not. Neither incidentally is there any kind of annual inspection so you see some real wrecks being driven around. LOL.

Yup, car prices are helluva high there but I have to say, not as high as they are here in Portugal.

Also lots of drunk driving and bad accidents, especially involving the native taxis which are usually Toyota vans. For example, it's not that unusual for them to remove the steering wheel and replace it with a pair of mole grips so they can squeeze an extra passenger into the front. :)

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic for a moment there!