What to do with our farm

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

little bit of a nature reserve, just let the plot go wild.

why do folk want to screw the last penny out of everything ?

for the same reason people go to work........................they need the money (well that would be my reason) ,it makes me laugh that people think the countryside is there just for them to admire,farms are like a factory they need to be profitable to keep in business and to keep in good condition.

spanj will be calling you a southern puff as well next vince with suggestions like that :lol:

nah ,I save that line just for you mate :lol: Although I do deplore the develop everything attitude (from both southerners and northeners)

Edited by spanj

I know of many game farms down here in Sussex which do just that on a similar sizes bit of land or smaller. You would need to convert the sheds/barns into the night housing for the pheasants/partridges and then go about sourcing pen sections to create day runs. You could incubate eggs yourself and rear birds from day olds to 7/8 weeks and sell them to local shoots at £3.50 upwards or you could buy in the day olds yourself and rear them to this age.

The first couple of weeks they would want to be shut into the sheds at night with adequate heating by gas heaters or lamps and when hardy enough they can be left out at night to return to the shed as and when they please.

:hmm: Hmmmm.......... I must be doing something wrong somehow - it never seems to be that easy when do it!!! :no::lol:

Ur best bet would be to speak to a local land agent who will know the area and will have a better idea wot demand there is for various things. Get approx incomes for seasonal grass let as well as the horsey side of things, but i'm guessing u would need some sort of stables/shelters for horses whereas for grazing as long as boundry fence ok ur all good.

As for other ideas the more time and effort u are willing to spend the more return u SHOULD get, not always the case and esp if u already have a full time job. Most will have a intial outlay so ur commited for years afore u get a return, i would also same game farming or rearing any sort of livestock is never that easy, the good gamefarmers make it look easy, but there is a lot going on behind scences keeping birds healthy and disease free and even more so year after year.

Gamefarm

:hmm: Hmmmm.......... I must be doing something wrong somehow - it never seems to be that easy when do it!!! :no: :lol:

I knew it was easy and money for old rope but did not realise it was quite that easy.

I intend to re negotiate with my supplier and offer him £1.05 a poult !!

But then I thought, perhaps that's why the poster calls himself Wannabe-keeper, reality is a little different :rolleyes:

Edited by CharlieT

little bit of a nature reserve, just let the plot go wild.

why do folk want to screw the last penny out of everything ?

What kind of idealistic world do you live in?

Unfortunately it's rather hard to function without money in this day and age, unless you live in a cave and buy things with groats?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I was in the same situation as yourself, I diversified from farming to operating an all driven duck shoot on the farm, It was relatively easy to get going and mallard are the easiest of all game birds to rear, I started three years ago, with 50 birds for a bit of fun to shoot among friends I now have 500 bids sold for shooting this season and we are not into June yet.

Just another option for you which works!

Raves held in the sheds; you could make faaaasannnds from all the grufty tree huggers turning up and getting their third eye squeegeed clean with horse tranquilisers and plant food (all the rage these days). You wouldn't neccesarily need to invest anything in the delapadated sheds, just bung 'em a key and let them get on with it.

If you want to make extra on the side sell some glow sticks and bottled tap water.

Job doubled jobbed.

Just turn the meadow into camping and carvanning site,dig a lake for day fishing,mini golf course/range and use the sheds for storage and commercial units,then you havent got all your eggs (no pun intended) in one basket and its not reliant on one season.

Pay and play 4x4.

solar farm.

clay ground.

plant trees,you could get a grant !!!!

Grow mushrooms in the sheds.

baylham rare breeds, put there sheep out on others land

gypsy camp.

air field for micro lites.

Deer farm.

If you need any help with construction/plumbing/heating,i am local :good: