177 how far kill

matty thud

this is the first time owned 177 riffle normaley go for 22 but when my mate was selling a cheap aa 177 shamal one shot pcp i snapped it up even tho its an old riffle it shoots superb . been a couple times now out with it to my 10 acre rabbit permission and yesterday shot a rabbit at 42 yards instant kill headshot well surprised how it shoots so just wondering how far 177 will travel to the killzone for kill. :good:

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF the conditions are perfect, you're shooting well, you're not puffing from walking 2 miles then 50 yards is about the limit for rabbits.

For pigeons slightly more. Again under perfect conditions with sticks or rested I can take woodies from one particular tree at a lasered 64 yards with "armpit" shots, that is seated and only rarely do I take that shot. But under more normal conditions I keep that to 40 yards.

A .177 will carry enough energy to kill a rabbit far beyond the range at which I can shoot accurately.

O.K.-steel helmet on....couple of years back when my mate got his HW100 we were sighting the beast in and moving the target further and further away till it was a ranged 100 yards.It was still producing very acceptable groups at this range and we started our walk back to the car leaving the gun zeroed as was because I was picking up my S400 next day and we would return and zero both guns at a sensible distance.You can probably guess the rest-couple of fields crossed and a lone bunny sat 2-3 yards out in the field caught my mates eye.There was very little cover between us and time was not on our side so my mate decided to "have a go".About a week passed between the sound of the gun and the noise of lead on bone and the rabbit failed to even twitch as it went over-we ranged it at 105 yards!! Rather not get any flack over this cos I did'nt take the shot and the permission belongs to my pal so I'm not about to tell him to not take the shot.He is known to a few on this site who will,I have no doubt,confirm that he is a superb shot (in fact the best I have ever shot with)

O.K.-steel helmet on....couple of years back when my mate got his HW100 we were sighting the beast in and moving the target further and further away till it was a ranged 100 yards.It was still producing very acceptable groups at this range and we started our walk back to the car leaving the gun zeroed as was because I was picking up my S400 next day and we would return and zero both guns at a sensible distance.You can probably guess the rest-couple of fields crossed and a lone bunny sat 2-3 yards out in the field caught my mates eye.There was very little cover between us and time was not on our side so my mate decided to "have a go".About a week passed between the sound of the gun and the noise of lead on bone and the rabbit failed to even twitch as it went over-we ranged it at 105 yards!! Rather not get any flack over this cos I did'nt take the shot and the permission belongs to my pal so I'm not about to tell him to not take the shot.He is known to a few on this site who will,I have no doubt,confirm that he is a superb shot (in fact the best I have ever shot with)

name and shame i say, :lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol: ,glad it wasn,t me,crikey i took enough stick for shooting a phesant :yes::yes::yes::yes::good:

Well I for one would congratulate the feller on what must be a record shot.

Pheasants! Whats wrong with taking a pheasant with an airgun?

Normally I don't like going more than 50yd.

U.

you better put ya tin hat on for saying that,,,did you not know its not sporting to shoot a pheasant with an air rifle,,lol

you better put ya tin hat on for saying that,,,did you not know its not sporting to shoot a pheasant with an air rifle,,lol

or shooting them on the ground with a shotgun, got told I should have kicked it, to put it up before shooting

this is the first time owned 177 riffle normaley go for 22 but when my mate was selling a cheap aa 177 shamal one shot pcp i snapped it up even tho its an old riffle it shoots superb . been a couple times now out with it to my 10 acre rabbit permission and yesterday shot a rabbit at 42 yards instant kill headshot well surprised how it shoots so just wondering how far 177 will travel to the killzone for kill. :good:

The same as your .22 as makes no difference!

Yeah but if they are carrying a side by side it slows them down even more.....

Tsk, they can't handle the recoil of a shotgun :no:

Though it wasn't uncommon to see them with handguns before they were banned( about the only good to come from the ban if you ask me).

When shooting rabbits I always try and be below 40 yards sometimes its a little closer, sometimes its a little further it depends on the situation. Never hurts to get closer. A few 56 yard shots on pigeons on completely still days because I know the particular shot very well.

Draw a circle around a pound coin. Start at 25 yds, shoot 5 shots into circle. If all 5 shots are in the circle move it back to 30 yds and repeat, carry on moving the target back until you cannot get all 5 shots in the circle. Your range is the distance before you can't get all the shots in the circle. You have to be honest with yourself and try it in the wind. The wind will reduce your range. With practice and the right conditions it is surprising at what range you can shoot accurately. Don't shoot at live quarry at a range that you can't pass the pound coin test at!

Draw a circle around a pound coin. Start at 25 yds, shoot 5 shots into circle. If all 5 shots are in the circle move it back to 30 yds and repeat, carry on moving the target back until you cannot get all 5 shots in the circle. Your range is the distance before you can't get all the shots in the circle. You have to be honest with yourself and try it in the wind. The wind will reduce your range. With practice and the right conditions it is surprising at what range you can shoot accurately. Don't shoot at live quarry at a range that you can't pass the pound coin test at!

:good::good::good: And a sub 12ftlb air rifle will probably run out of puff at maybe 75 yards, possibly a lot less. Check your air rifle / pellet combination with a chronograph. You need to still have about 5ftlbs at maximum range.

pound coin yu think im made off money lol :lol:

My longest clean kill with my hw100 .177 is 84y lazed. I very often kill into 60y upto 70y. Ive been shooting long range for a long time so im more than confident enough to take long range shots. I practice on a knock down target i had made in a ship yard and it the shape of a rabbits head. The furthest ive managed to knock it over is 108y in still conditions. The target is only about 3 inch wide by 5 inch from kneck to the tip of its ear. The 84y kill was in about 12mph wind. The furthest you practice the longer range you will mange a kill..Try it.!!

A walnut is about the same size as a rabbit's brain. I'd like to see you hit a walnut everytime at 80+yds in 12mph wind with a sub 12ft/lb air rifle. That would be some damm fine shooting

Edited by l9udy

They Shoot HFT / FT out to around 60 Metres - knocking down plates

If you can knock a plate it could Kill in the right place

A .177 will be a aimed Pellet - a .22 would be a Falling pellet :)

BOB/R

Edited by Clubshot