177 how far kill

matty thud

They Shoot HFT / FT out to around 60 Metres - knocking down plates

If you can knock a plate it could Kill in the right place

A .177 will be a aimed Pellet - a .22 would be a Falling pellet :)

BOB/R

So .177 defies the laws of gravity?

This thread is getting silly. What a surprise.

An 84 yard kill in a 12mph wind with a sub 12ft/lb air rifle? If I'd done that (and I have more sense than try) I wouldn't have the nerve to describe it as anything more than a fluke. But in fact I wouldn't describe it as anything at all - I'd keep my trap shut and not hold myself up to well-deserved criticism for being irresponsible enough to try it.

The sensible posts are coming from l9udy and Dekers, amongst others. I suggest the fantasists who are "waving their willies" read them and learn!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So .177 defies the laws of gravity?

This thread is getting silly. What a surprise.

An 84 yard kill in a 12mph wind with a sub 12ft/lb air rifle? If I'd done that (and I have more sense than try) I wouldn't have the nerve to describe it as anything more than a fluke. But in fact I wouldn't describe it as anything at all - I'd keep my trap shut and not hold myself up to well-deserved criticism for being irresponsible enough to try it.

The sensible posts are coming from l9udy and Dekers, amongst others. I suggest the fantasists who are "waving their willies" read them and learn!

have to agree,taking pot shots at 80+yrds is bordering on pure stupidity be it .177 or.22, and are people saying a .177 does not drop at all out at 60mtrs, well defo dont agree with that one

Hi Guys

I have read somewhere that you can kill a rabbit with a head shot at 3 ftlb apparently in 177 this would be 85-95yds and in 22 75-85yds, however the very best attitude is a 50yd. limit in good still conditions.

The biggest problem is we all think why not!!!! when it should only be why????? Yes, we may not have had a shot all day which does happen, but that very long range rabbit can be got another day.

Regards Martin

missmoreandmaster I've heard that 3 or 4 ft/lb to kill a rabbit thoery which is probably true. However by the time our 11/12 ft/lb air rifle has lost its energy down to 3ft/lb it will also have lost around 200 feet per second in speed and along with that the pellet also loses its stability. A loss of stability = a lose of the ability to hit our target accurately! (no matter how good of a shooter you are)

The prove is in the pudding has they say. Just shoot a group on paper and see :good:

Your advice, 50 yd max, is a realistic range of a good rifle BUT the max range of a gun and the max range of the chap pulling the trigger is sometimes a very different range.

Edited by l9udy

Simple as this at 40yds tops sub 12ftlb, 40+ fac air or rimfire, 100+centrefire!!! im laughing my **** off at some of these rediculous claims!! Iresponsible wollies! The sub12ftlb airgun is no tool for 80yard shots at anything but paper! Either get better at feildcraft or put the gun away!!

:good::good: :good: :good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::lol:

as i said on the last long range superhero post, there used to be a bloke who would offer the challenge of 20mm targets at 84 yds.

he'd give you a tenner for every one you hit, and you give him a tenner for everyone you missed.

strange that no long range superhero's ever took advantage of this easy money to be made :lol:

HI I very often shoot rabbits, 60y upto 65y. my best shot was 71 yd with my daystate huntsman 177 call its doing 11.6 fpb,with a hawke side winder 4+16-+ 50. and thats head shots and resting with no wind, and i use a rang,finder. Ive been shooting long range for a long time now and don't shoot rabbits under 30yd as for me i find it boring and no fun in it. I am more than confident enough to take long range shots. I practice on targets regular and are obseced with accuricey , I also have a daystate huntsman 22 call its doing 11.9 fpb, with a hawke side winder 4-5 +14+42 and i head shoot rabbit regular at 50yd , but the 22 drops off a lot faster than 177 . I forgot to say i dont use the mill dots i use the BDC target turrets for me it spot on , thanks border.......

Hello border

I expect that if the 11.6 and 11.9 ftlb readings that you have given are accurate you may possible have an overpowered and therefore illegal gun.

It may be sub 12ftlb measured using your pellets but if tested the police will use a variety of pellets and the reading will vary with pellet type and weight.

You may find that some pellets will give a result in excess of 12ftlbs. Perhaps check it to be on the safe side.

I cannot help wondering..... Why do you shoot rabbits?

I own a scan jubale chrono i bought off this site , I try diffrent pellets to see witch puts the power to the highest and its not always the heavey pellets ,and then shoot a string of pellets so that way my GUN WILL NOT BE OVER THE LIMET , and both my daystates have the antytamper on , and one has just come back from daystate it only a few months old . I am a very good shot and resting and with no wind , i donot always shoot at long dististences just when it right . thanks border......

I own a scan jubale chrono i bought off this site , I try diffrent pellets to see witch puts the power to the highest and its not always the heavey pellets ,and then shoot a string of pellets so that way my GUN WILL NOT BE OVER THE LIMET , and both my daystates have the antytamper on , and one has just come back from daystate it only a few months old . I am a very good shot and resting and with no wind , i donot always shoot at long dististences just when it right . thanks border......

I'll work that out later.

In the meantime, why do people feel the need to brag about how far they think they can shoot rabbits with a sub 12?

What good does it do?

Is it a "my dads bigger than your dad" thing?

Is it making up for a short penis by unconfirmed bragging?

Does it make people feel better about the fact that they can't hit jack **** but others might believe them?

Great for the anti shooting folk reading threads like this, we give them all the clout they need to prove airgunners are irresponsible idiots shooting at live quarry at ridiculous ranges.

I bet you won't be trying it when the EU reduces your power to German levels or all airguns go to FAC.

Or maybe you will and then we all end up with "laser" shooting instead of what we have now.

If any individual really can shoot accurately at those ranges then I suggest you just shoot and say nothing because there are too many idiots out there who CAN'T shoot who will try to emulate you.

Tim

I'll work that out later.

In the meantime, why do people feel the need to brag about how far they think they can shoot rabbits with a sub 12?

What good does it do?

Is it a "my dads bigger than your dad" thing?

Is it making up for a short penis by unconfirmed bragging?

Does it make people feel better about the fact that they can't hit jack **** but others might believe them?

Great for the anti shooting folk reading threads like this, we give them all the clout they need to prove airgunners are irresponsible idiots shooting at live quarry at ridiculous ranges.

I bet you won't be trying it when the EU reduces your power to German levels or all airguns go to FAC.

Or maybe you will and then we all end up with "laser" shooting instead of what we have now.

If any individual really can shoot accurately at those ranges then I suggest you just shoot and say nothing because there are too many idiots out there who CAN'T shoot who will try to emulate you.

Tim

calm down timmy, have a drink or 2 :lol:

well timmytree i am very surprised you have blown this right of preportion , also you sound like you don't trust people and no some idiots but don't tie everyone with the same brush, and also you talk about the EU laws what has not even come in yet and got nothing to do with this, ALSO YOUR ATITUDE AND THREAD IMATURE IS RIGHT OUT OF ORDER , A.T.B. border..

... ALSO YOUR ATITUDE AND THREAD IMATURE IS RIGHT OUT OF ORDER ...

Right, I managed to decipher the rest, but you're going to have to explain what the heck 'thread imature' is?

Oh yeah, and 45 yards max as a general rule.

Edited by -Mongrel-

well timmytree i am very surprised you have blown this right of preportion , also you sound like you don't trust people and no some idiots but don't tie everyone with the same brush, and also you talk about the EU laws what has not even come in yet and got nothing to do with this, ALSO YOUR ATITUDE AND THREAD IMATURE IS RIGHT OUT OF ORDER , A.T.B. border..

What have I blown out of proportion?

As for not trusting people, well I've seen too many chancers who think they can shoot but when I've seen them on the range they're mediocre at best. The same people who may have shot 1 rabbit at 85 yards 2 years ago by a sheer fluke but then brag about it for evermore. For every 1 they hit at that range they miss 20 and wound 10.

As for EU laws, well until we get out of the EU we are under their jurisdiction because none of our muppets in parliament will stand up to Europe. British law surviving without the EU? Don't make me laugh! Why have we still got ******* preachers/terrorists in this country? EU bloody human rights law that's why, and we have no bloody say in it.

The Scottish parliament is doing it's best to bring in licencing, if they succeed we will be next, After that the next logical step is to bring all of Europe in line with Germany and other parts of Europe where hunting with air rifles is banned.

Do you think it couldn't happen here? That the EU couldn't force it on us?

Go and buy a pound of apples in a shop, order a new carpet in ft and inches, Can you see the price of fuel in gallons any more? No, you won't because the bloody EU dictated that we can't have lbs, inches and gallons!

As for the immature bit, well I don't understand that although I tried hard.

I stand by what I said, all these posts glorifying risky long shots is doing nothing but harm for our sport.

If anyone wants to risk a long shot then that's up to them but why post it and risk looking daft or worse still, making other organisations believe that airgunners are unsafe idiots?

I stand by what I said, all these posts glorifying risky long shots is doing nothing but harm for our sport.

If anyone wants to risk a long shot then that's up to them but why post it and risk looking daft or worse still, making other organisations believe that airgunners are unsafe idiots?

I'll stand next to you! 50yds is my absolute limit right now (with .177) and I'd only take that shot if conditions were absolutely spot on, and was in the prone position and could take as much time as I need to take the shot. Funnily, this doesn't happen very often! when I can put a whole magazine into a 5p from 70yds in a hurricane with my shooting eye obscured by falling debris, maybe I'll change my mind but until that day comes, I'm not about to risk wounding an animal for the chance to create a legend out of my shooting prowess!

Edited by chrisjpainter

:good::good::good: And a sub 12ftlb air rifle will probably run out of puff at maybe 75 yards, possibly a lot less. Check your air rifle / pellet combination with a chronograph. You need to still have about 5ftlbs at maximum range.

yes they start to run out at 72-75 on rabbit, does kill but its a very hard shot and less than gracious, i wont do it any more .. pigion are softer etc.

FT and HFT ranges are within reason.

before you try though, get some practice in on a small lane/target practice, if your not hitting consistantly on the day then dont bother tbh! you'll find some days your hotter than others and you need to be aware of where your at..the old fraise is true 'its not how far you can hit its how far it kills efitiently'.

I think this all started because someone claimed they could hit rabbits and kill cleanly at 80+yds in a 12mph wind, even my hmr drifts around 2 inches in that wind at that distance and even though its still carrying around 150ft/lb!

If this small minority of people bringing shame to themselves and all the other responsible airgunners insist on bragging about their lucky pot-shots which more than likely leave more animals wounded than anything else. Why don’t they take a look at the HFT rule book. After all HFT does stand for HUNTER Field target. The farthest target is 45yds!

If 12ft/lb air rifles grouped well at 70 or 80 yds then surely this distances would be the range of the farthest targets! So then the two questions spring to mind,

1 Are these people telling the truth?

2 Are these people using overpowered rifles? (I’m not sure how far a FAC air rifle will group but as an educated guess I would say no more than 80ish yds)

If you want to shoot vermin at these ranges you should be more responsible and apply for FAC and use the correct rifle for this job. Or, which I find far more challenging, learn to stalk and brush up on your field craft and get to a more suitable range for a more realistic, clean kill shot!

I think this all started because someone claimed they could hit rabbits and kill cleanly at 80+yds in a 12mph wind, even my hmr drifts around 2 inches in that wind at that distance and even though its still carrying around 150ft/lb!

If this small minority of people bringing shame to themselves and all the other responsible airgunners insist on bragging about their lucky pot-shots which more than likely leave more animals wounded than anything else. Why don’t they take a look at the HFT rule book. After all HFT does stand for HUNTER Field target. The farthest target is 45yds!

If 12ft/lb air rifles grouped well at 70 or 80 yds then surely this distances would be the range of the farthest targets! So then the two questions spring to mind,

1 Are these people telling the truth?

2 Are these people using overpowered rifles? (I’m not sure how far a FAC air rifle will group but as an educated guess I would say no more than 80ish yds)

If you want to shoot vermin at these ranges you should be more responsible and apply for FAC and use the correct rifle for this job. Or, which I find far more challenging, learn to stalk and brush up on your field craft and get to a more suitable range for a more realistic, clean kill shot!

check out the maths, it isnt a matter of just getting a group, the gun needs to be tuned etc, a few things done to its consistancey for 12fp..you should know your maximum distance the pellet will travel too..

72 yards is posable i've done it..al be it lamping and it was at the 'ronf mark', took two shots to hit, but i will say it wasnt a good cleen kill, hense i say hft ranges, there may actually be a reason they dont shoot to 60 yards lol.

(and yes i had a season on 50-65 yarders, good gun, and i camped it there for days on end...)

people often say no way no further than 30 yards, but..i zero at 30meter/33yards, and it doesnt entail a lose span of pellets and pick a center to move around!!! hit the hole you know its zero'd.

you need to know this stuff, what if you let one lose one day thinking 'ahhhh 30 yards most' and hits some one a couple hundred yards away?? ok no much power left at 700 yards, i.e. fugger all but non the less its sooooo going to cauze trouble.

as for lying..i'll save you the abuse lolol! its not how far you can hit, its how far will it kill. (i aint saying no more on the gun..if your ready for that league it'll come to you).

it depends on you and what gun set up... 60 is far enough tbh lol..

as colin lad said...get the tool for the job. (fac airgun will do it consistancy..a rimmy would be better if its aloud on the grounds..etc).

Edited by stoogey

Had an hw99s, used it daily and I would say that thor himself had made it, I was surgical with it. Regularly hit an old shotgun cartridge in excess of 50 yards, standing, no matter what the weather was doing. Loved the thing. One I put a vast amount of pellets in a cat food can at the far side of the lawn, some 80-90 yard away, whilst smoking and eating crisps. Glorious afternoon.

Never got in with pcp no recoil.

All my hunting shots were sub 35 yards. Every one. Never went further, wasn't confident that I could be 100% sure everytime, despite my rather legendary shooting ability to hit 5p sized target whilst being stung in the ear by a nettle or similar.

Sub 12.might have the power to kill at 60 metres, but can you do it every time you try, if you can't then reduce the range no need to risk injuring an animal for a slow death when it will be there again in a few days.

Don't give the tin cans any mercy though, or the polo mints.