TD5 knocking ???

Dbw1shrops

Hi guys and girls I recently had the diff oils and transfer box oil changed on my 02 disco and a few weeks later started to hear a low sounding knocking coming from the front and it now seems to be getting worse ? Had a look underneath on fri and there is a little drop of oil coming from the tran box nothing major but took it to a friends garage today and he reckons its the transfer box seal its coming from and said its a big job to do and it would not be worth doin as loads has got to come off to replace the seal ??? But he couldn't hear the knocking noise seams it happens under load going through the gears ? Any ideas would be appreciated people cheers !

personally i wouldn't worry too much about the leak just keep an eye in as the transfer box only holds a litre or so of oil, if you change the clutch at any point then repar the seals then. as far as the knock goes you would have to try and determine whether its engine or drivetrain related. check the obvious first like wheel nut tightness and grease the propshaft uj's and check the nuts/bolts on the shaft.

edit to say i am not a mechanic btw just a long suffering landrover owner :)

Edited by aga man

No mate no lock just normal straight driving cheers tho !

ah right, can you describe when the noise occurs? are you driving on normal pot hole free tarmac, over lumps and bumps or an uneven surface, off road. And standing still, at road speed, under hard load?

you will normally know if the loom is at fault because there will be diesel in the engine oil. if you do find diesel in the engine oil DO NOT USE UNTIL ITS REPAIRED. normally if an injector is faulty the engine will turn over for a lot longer because your loosing pressure through leakage of the injector. its quite easy to test for this. just remove return pipes on the injector, there usally rubber hoses connected in series on top of said injectors, crank over engine. the injector that fires the most amount of fuel out the top is your faulty injector. you can buy a metering bottles to do the job properly but if your only going do this once in your life id just put a tray underneath to catch fuel.

BE VARY CAREFUL WHEN WORKING ON DIESEL FUEL INJECTION THEY USUALLY RUN AT AROUND 1600bar and can do a lot of damage to your limbs if your not careful. If you suspect a leak use a piece of cardboard to try and find leak. hope this helps. Where are you il plug my diagnostic into land rover if your close.

I would put my money on an injector issue too. When driving uphill does it get worse the further you put your foot down and then get better if you lift off the accelerator? If you have one or more injectors faulty, clogged or otherwise they will deliver less fuel. When the engine starts labouring ie up hill, and you put your foot down the turbo will be blowing more air in and with insufficient fuel going in it will run lean causing pre ignition/pinking/knocking/detonation. It can vary from a light rattle to a seriously loud knocking. First thing to check is the injector terminals. Unclip the plastic connector and thoroughtly clean the connectors inside it with contact cleaner. If you can, wipe over the injector terminal blades with some very fine wet n dry paper and spray them with contact cleaner. The terminals are prone to corrosion on all vehicles, especially if its had a damp life or had the engine bay jet washed. Next check the injector seals. It could be drawing in air from a bad seal. Next,see if you can source some more injectors from a mate or get yours (flow tested) and see if it sorts the problem. Its what used to blow our turbo race engines :o Don't leave it long as it will eventually either hole a piston or blast a big end out usually it a terminal situation. Hope this helps.

Edited by turbo33