marine tanks

roadkill

Just wondered if there are any marine tank owners on here?I started my little piece of the ocean just over a year ago . I bought a nice little nano tank (30ltrs) After much enjoyment i now think its time for an upgrade so i have bought a 330ltr tank. Just having fun setting it all up at the minute fed up of moppingup water :/

This was my first little tank

2013-04-07212622_zps7bacd139.jpg

one of the ocupants

newcrab020_zpscfc5f64c.jpg

And this is the latest project , should be up and running in the next couple of weeks

2013-04-26215749_zps43d80549.jpg

I am so jealous, I used to be right into Marine tanks but with being in the Army it was not so easy to keep it up. I first started in Hong Kong in 1992 and it was great as the kit and fish etc were reasonably priced. I then set up in the UK and could not believe the cost of things. Your small set up looks great and if you can manage such a small system your larger one will be even better. The little Clown fish are crackers and just make a set up. The biggies like Koran and Emperor Angel fish are just the best but are very costly. Please keep us updated on how you get on once your large set up has matured.

Looking good!

We just bought a 200 litre tropical tank and the whole family are really enjoying it. We're no where near ready for marine yet!!!

I'm in the process of designing our extension and we're seriously thinking about putting in a BIG tank and using it to help split up one of the larger rooms... Not sure whether to have that as tropical or marine!

How have you found it with marine? Is it particular difficult? I keep hearing conflicting views...

I have found it very easy to be honest , I had never kept fish before so jumped in blind i just kept reading through forums. I even made it hard for myself by having a little tank on the principal that if i could keep this stable then a big one would be easy.

I think the main things with keeping a marine tank happy is to take things very slowly and weekly water changes on the small tanks

I am so jealous, I used to be right into Marine tanks but with being in the Army it was not so easy to keep it up. I first started in Hong Kong in 1992 and it was great as the kit and fish etc were reasonably priced. I then set up in the UK and could not believe the cost of things. Your small set up looks great and if you can manage such a small system your larger one will be even better. The little Clown fish are crackers and just make a set up. The biggies like Koran and Emperor Angel fish are just the best but are very costly. Please keep us updated on how you get on once your large set up has matured.

did you ever go to that road in mongkok with nothing but fish shops? i noticed they dye fish in hong kong

Edited by overandunder2012

had a 3ft marine tank about 4 years ago, it was not too difficult to maintain but the amount of accessories you can get you can soon spend serious money. i had to let it go in the end due to the cost of mainly electric to power all the filters pumps and heaters. have a small fluval edge tank now with just a few nano tetras in for the kids but that seems to take more looking after than the marine, due to its small size.

Dont have marine but do have a 550ltr tropical tank, got it next to my bed so its nice to watch the fish before I go to sleep. I was in a fish shop yesterday and was actually looking through all the marine fish and they come in all shapes and sizes kinda weird fish I tell you but the price of them eg £120 for one blue jaw triggerfish, I would hate it if something went wrong.

My mother's got 1 that i used to look after when on holiday, not been asked again as managed to kill 1/2 the fish last time she was away. Them red sea tanks are pretty good and relatively easy to mantain as long as u mind to turn pump's back on!!! Whoops

She has some beautiful coral as well as the fish, shrimps crab's and starfish

slight change , i sold the 3x2x2 as i got a great deal on a 2x2x2 cube .... Got all the gear and food and rock plus a nem and some crabs for the same price for a light unit and a reactor for the 3ft tank.....

hope you like the set up pictures

2013-05-05193146_zps2471fdaa.jpg

2013-05-05193215_zps54b49ddf.jpg

2013-05-05193344_zpscf37ae4c.jpg

Nema and corals new bed

2013-05-05193354_zps1874d059.jpg

2013-05-05193403_zps308d523f.jpg

Bit of a mess

2013-05-05193254_zps4b7ad370.jpg

after a little sort out , still needs more doing

2013-05-05224802_zpsc73b1be2.jpg

A few of the cuc

2013-05-05213609_zps0145c586.jpg

2013-05-05213636_zpsf58e75ac.jpg

• 8 months later...

Looking good!

We just bought a 200 litre tropical tank and the whole family are really enjoying it. We're no where near ready for marine yet!!!

I'm in the process of designing our extension and we're seriously thinking about putting in a BIG tank and using it to help split up one of the larger rooms... Not sure whether to have that as tropical or marine!

How have you found it with marine? Is it particular difficult? I keep hearing conflicting views...

It's looks great to have a tank between walls, my friend has one. Has some access areas and it looks amazing.

I just had a thought if someone was to put a webcam on a tropical reef you would not need to have all of the tanks and other stuff just have a big screen showing just that bit of reef it also has the advantage in that you can turn it off when you go out . :hmm:

i had this set up a year or so ago but did not get enough time to get it as i would of liked [/url]">http://20110821_8_zpsd3fca589.jpg

Them be some big flowers that you have got on your wall there. :whistling:

Had both Tropical and Tropical marine in the 80.s Just got a 35l nano tropical in the kitchen now as a feature/focal point...

Its great to see that Fishkeeping has had a resurgence in recent years and is very popular again.

I spent most of Sunday Morning looking around the local Aqua Jardin... could have spent a fortune.

I also had a big cold water tank in the shed in the mid 90, and reared quality fingerling Japanese Koi before selling them on...did quite well out of it...... problem is only about 1 in 10 turn out how you would hope.

Perhaps if I ever retire...... :good: