Woodpigeon Shooting over Seed

srspower

sorry fella but thats just all back to front why are you shooting with the pattern facing away and wind blowing right in ya face..the birds arnt going to come in as means hoying the brakes on to turn into back of pattern...and to top it off there was a flying sorcer watching you...ill w the laffn :lol: ...sorry..live n learn..keep at it tho it will come good in the end :good:

yep your on wrong side of field you always want wind to you back glad to see you got some proper shells and finally don't listen too much too farmers they lie too keep you going iv bin called in 15 /16 times onto my farms with massive promises of hundreds of bird only too get there and find 30 lol .

But your bang right to keep farmer happy i would have set up had a hr or 2 then rang him told him it was rubbish here and you will move to where the birds are feeding IE CLOVER or your old spot im loving the videos we need 1 a week from you well done matey

Thanks for the tips guys! It was a bit of a disaster and to be honest being in a hide on your own with no pigeons and your poles being uprooted by the wind every five minutes isn't fun! But at least I got the cartridges right this time. Although I need is good supplier for eley vip number 6's now, have people had good experiences with 'just cartridges'? Seems a bit of a faff but they have a good selection.

And swiss tony, I try to do at least one video a week from sunday mornings although I often go out with the airgun/shotgun on a Saturday afternoon for a walk about. It largely depends whether I get anything as to whether I do a video.

And yes that blue thing was really odd! Looked like a childs swimming aid or something. But maybe it was one of those drones! If I get one closer i'll shoot and we can take a look :)

nice to see the videos. well done.

shooting with wind in face has to be done from time to time. if its the only why to get on the flight line.

either put your birds out 60 paces to give them room to come in but do not set under a big tree. your cutting the glide height down. set to the side of the tree. i also use 2 lines of birds lik a runway with a single flapper or angel at the end but to one side. leave a gap as as an escape for the bird, it will give them a little more confidence to drop in.

hide wide, don't be hell bent on trying to blend it. the movement in the hide is what the birds will notice. some where close is good enough. keep still till the last minute.

Phil.

Thanks for the tips guys! It was a bit of a disaster and to be honest being in a hide on your own with no pigeons and your poles being uprooted by the wind every five minutes isn't fun! But at least I got the cartridges right this time. Although I need is good supplier for eley vip number 6's now, have people had good experiences with 'just cartridges'? Seems a bit of a faff but they have a good selection.

And swiss tony, I try to do at least one video a week from sunday mornings although I often go out with the airgun/shotgun on a Saturday afternoon for a walk about. It largely depends whether I get anything as to whether I do a video.

And yes thing was really odd! Looked like a childs swimming aid opossiblemething. But maybe it was one of those drones! If I get one closer i'll shoot and we can take a look :)

Not had any problems with just cartridges, I just took a picture of my licence on my phone, emailed it to them, then rang them straight up and placed an order.

They were delivered the next day.

nice to see the direction. well done.

shooting with wind in face has to be done from time to time. if its the only why to get on the flight line.

either put your birds out 60 paces to give them room to come in but do not set under a big tree. your cutting the glide height down. set to the side of the tree. i also use 2 lines of birds lik a runway with a single flapper or angel at the end but to one side. leave a gap as as an escape for the bird, it will give them a little more confidence to drop in.

Phil.

:good:

I just get as near as possible to the flight line into the field.

Only worry about wind direction when Im setting out the pattern.

Edited by chrispti

And yes that blue thing was really odd! Looked like a childs swimming aid or something. But maybe it was one of those drones! If I get one closer i'll shoot and we can take a look :)

I'd love to see 1 close up do a video on it and make sure u get the antis face in the video as the drome is falling down to the ground that be priceless

SRS, unlucky with the size of the bag. I think the pigeons had eaten all the available food before you arrived. Remember, it always pays to check the fields you wish to shoot in advance. That way you can avoid having the type of day you had.

Just to add the couple of things I spotted, hopefully constructive criticism;

Your pattern could do with being slightly further from you (only 5yds or so) and a little more spaced out, try 3-4 paces between them.

you need your stakes for your decoys further into the ground, the pigeons seem to see the big gap under them and know something's wrong, they look the same as mine which have a little bit of moulding sticking out about half way down the stake, I find if that's level with the ground they're about right. otherwise, try to get them to look like a pigeon stood on the ground, this seems even more important on bare fields like in the video.

make some guy ropes for your hide, I used camo paracord and some little guy line adjusters off ebay and some of the chunky steel tent pegs (6" long and 1/2" wide), put them out at 45 degrees to the hide all pulling gently against eachother; takes a lot of stress out of it, as would cutting the stupid little plastic hooks off the top of the decoy stakes (Been meaning to do mine for about 5 years but never seem to have a knife to hand when I want it!).

Just to add the couple of things I spotted, hopefully constructive criticism;

Your pattern could do with being slightly further from you (only 5yds or so) and a little more spaced out, try 3-4 paces between them.

you need your stakes for your decoys further into the ground, the pigeons seem to see the big gap under them and know something's wrong, they look the same as mine which have a little bit of moulding sticking out about half way down the stake, I find if that's level with the ground they're about right. otherwise, try to get them to look like a pigeon stood on the ground, this seems even more important on bare fields like in the video.

make some guy ropes for your hide, I used camo paracord and some little guy line adjusters off ebay and some of the chunky steel tent pegs (6" long and 1/2" wide), put them out at 45 degrees to the hide all pulling gently against eachother; takes a lot of stress out of it, as would cutting the stupid little plastic hooks off the top of the decoy stakes (Been meaning to do mine for about 5 years but never seem to have a knife to hand when I want it!).

I disagree with this. The pattern doesn't necessarily need to be further away, nor the decoys necessarily further apart. The main problem was that srs was not on the field that the pigeons wanted to be on. If he had been, then the birds may well have decoyed ok.

Also, pigeons are pretty stupid birds and are not clever enough to realise their pals (the decoys on pegs) are floating in mid air.

I am doing some recon tomorrow morning for sunday and Tom, who I usually shoot with, is checkout out our other permission. Both places have seeded and have young rape. The one guy has a large field with patches that are flowering (that's where we did well) should I assume if lots of pigeons are in an area feeding they should do the same the next day at the same time?

I disagree with this. The pattern doesn't necessarily need to be further away, nor the decoys necessarily further apart. The main problem was that srs was not on the field that the pigeons wanted to be on. If he had been, then the birds may well have decoyed ok.

Also, pigeons are pretty stupid birds and are not clever enough to realise their pals (the decoys on pegs) are floating in mid air.

Everyone has their own ways and I'm the first to admit I'm still learning, soo what I said was just my opinions really but well worth a try in my opinion.

I am doing some recon tomorrow morning for sunday and Tom, who I usually shoot with, is checkout out our other permission. Both places have seeded and have young rape. The one guy has a large field with patches that are flowering (that's where we did well) should I assume if lots of pigeons are in an area feeding they should do the same the next day at the same time?

It is safe to assume that an area that was alive with pigeons one day has a good chance of showing a good amount of birds the next day.

Everyone has their own ways and I'm the first to admit I'm still learning, soo what I said was just my opinions really but well worth a try in my opinion.

That's fair enough. Normally i would have my decoys further apart, too, but i've seen large numbers killed using patterns that are certainly not 'textbook'. The way the pattern looks is one of the least important aspects (i believe) in whether birds will commit or not. The location is far more important.