Sako Quad .17 / .22 / .22WMR

tjm160

Continuing the search for the right first rifle (strict budget of no more than £700 all-in so really looking at second hand) I've stumbled across the SAKO Quad. Would anyone who has experience of them mind sharing the benefit of their experience? I'm initially specifically looking at .17 HMR with a view to possibly adding a .22 and/or .22 WMR barrel later (to save purchasing additional separate rimfire rifles). Does anyone also have much experience of swapping the barrels over? Does it work ok, is a significant amount of re-zeroing required, is it really worth it or is it really better to have different rifles?

I've just got in from shooting with my .17hmr quad. 12 rabbits and only 1 miss and some long shots. I have the .22 barrel and have not used it for years. Barrel change is easy and takes seconds but rezeroing is a pain in the ****.

If I were you I would get the hmr use it for a bit and if you still want a .22 save for the while set up. I'm thinking of getting a rifle to go with the .22 barrel so I will use it more.

The .17HMR is faultless as are all the calibres on the quad but as above once you have the .17 you will only bother to change over to a .22lr when you want to see how quiet it is. (basically don't bother with a .22lr barrel unless you absolutely have to shoot subsonic, which it doesn't sound like you have to, or you have cash to burn and think why not (been there done it). I sold my .22lr barrel as it didn't get any use but ironically I bought a .22 WMR barrel to compliment the .17 HMR. I've struggled to get out since buying it and shot it maybe twice but to be honest if your gonna buy a quad the .17 HMR and .22 WMR are the barrels to accompany it IMHO. As for the rifle itself, its a cracker as you would expect from SAKO the bolts movement is precise and as smooth as a gigolo in the playboy mansion. You cant fault SAKO even with there swap barrel models as I've found. Get the .17HMR. then think about the .22 WMR unless you absolutely need quiet then the .22lr is the kiddy.

A word of note though don't think you can just trot out with all the barrels and mags in your pocket and change them willy nilly - as said above it takes seconds to switch them over but there is an obvious need for time/targets etc when it comes to zeroring the replacement barrel....

Many thanks for the further most helpful and appreciated perspective NSS. I totally agree and once purchased she will have ~300 rounds down range, properly getting to know the trajectory (in practice as opposed to just going from a chart) and how she shoots before going anywhere near live quarry.

Very helpful also to hear that you have .17 HMR and .22 WMR and tend towards the .17. That all but rules out .22 WMR for me since the .17 will be my supersonic RF that caters for the longer range crows and daytime bunnies. I then plan a subsonic .22LR for lamping and where low noise is a must (several fields like that - with houses in relatively close proximity). Per Dirty Harry's insightful post, I fear I too would rapidly find myself searching out another stock if I had a 'spare' barrel floating around and so having seen a second hand CZ 452 Silhouette .22 in Scotland with SAK moderator,sling, bi-pod and 4-12x50 illuminated scope for £375, at that sort of price I would tend towards a second rifle rather than second barrel (although even at that price a second rifle is certainly going to have to wait :)). The .17 will be my main rifle and therefore I would be happy to spend a little more on both rifle and optics (the one I have my eye on second hand is £650 and will need a bipod and sling - but, it has a very decent scope on it). Finally, I have a .223 slot for a dedicated fox rifle although unless the farmer develops a particular problem, this is likely to be the last slot filled.

As above, but i don't really see the issue with re-zeroing, Just fit one barrel zero and then fit the other barrel and re-zero noting down the adjustment clicks. I stuck mine on the lens cap of my scope. Mine held zero between barrel changes of less than 1/2" @100m which was fine for the ranges i was using it at :good:

Mmmmm, good point, thanks Breastman I shall seriously consider that.

Picked her up this afternoon and am very pleased indeed. A quality scope (£460 on it's own new) with rifle, both in pristine condition for £650 feels like a very good price indeed (particularly since apparently only shot 300 rds):

SakoQuadSynthetic17HMRwithLightStream45-

Edited by tjm160

Nice! The only thing i'd check is that the barrel will clear the scope without having to remove it (the scope) as that would make re-zeroing a bit of a carry on. Just eyeballing that pic i'd say it won't (but you never know til you try!) so you'd need to buy some higher scope rings.

Toptip- Put a few lengths of electrical tape on the underside of the scope at the objective lens end as this will stop you scratching up the barrel/scope when you're taking the barrel off :good:

Edited by Breastman

Took her out this evening to check zero:

IMG_6858.jpg

Started off at 40-yds:

IMG_6860.jpg

Not a bad start:

IMG_6862.jpg

Adjusted the windeage and voila, 1" group with a pulled shot:

IMG_6863.jpg

Moved out to 100-yds, a little looser (~2 1/2") group, but happy with that given how long since last shot rifle

IMG_6864.jpg

Moved out to 150-yds and boy does the target look small

IMG_6879.jpg

IMG_6875.jpg

With wind varying, very happy with the result and will look forward to seeing if improvement is forthcoming on a less breezy day

IMG_6865.jpg

Another check group and fell in same spot and widened slightly to just under 3"

So, tried first mil dot and was surprised to find next group high (scope was on 14x)

IMG_6881.jpg

I'm amazed and delighted at the accuracy of the .17 HMR and whilst certainly affected by wind, I can (until corrected) hardly call it excessively given the distance.

A brief wander round and over went the first rabbit at ~60-yds. I was quite shocked at the degree of damage to the head.

IMG_6885.jpg

A superb first session, delighted with the rifle and scope combo and I look forward to more time getting to know the .17 HMR trajectory and windeage in due course.

Response from my FEO on an additional barrel:

"The .22RF authority on your certificate is specific to an actual rifle and separate moderator. You would need a specific authority just for a .22RF barrel.

Unfortunately, this will require a variation application – either with a charge of £26 if the barrel is in addition to the authorities already granted – or a free (one for one) variation if the barrel will replace the authority for the .22RF rifle.

The form to us is the same form as for the grant (form 101) but you will be pleased to hear that you do not need to provide referees or more photos.

I know that this may sound a bit bureaucratic, but unfortunately it is the way the law is written."

Think carefully before a variation.

Whilst the quad, and the new CZ have interchangeable barrels (this is actually only a consumer version of the older manufacturing process), many don't utilise it, preferring the one gun one calibre approach.

It is still a pain changing barrels and then how do you take your lad out to a site where you may want .22lr and HMR with one rifle each?

Whilst potentially useful for some, you can buy a CZ .22lr and HMR complete, for the price of a Quad with 2 barrels! (perhaps a little late for that now)

Nothing wrong with the Quad though, I had the HMR Quad on order about 5 years ago (but I ONLY wanted it for HMR, I already had .22lr and WMR), just as CZ landed the Silhouette HMR, order cancelled and no regrets!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

Thanks and makes complete sense Dekers, buying two CZ's would have certainly been the most cost effective. Heart ruled the head and particularly now I've handled, I wouldn't be without my Sako :)

I reserve judgement whether I will keep in .17 HMR though or move to .22 WMR. The range and accuracy of the .17 HMR is fantastic and just what I want for the long range crows. However, for rabbiting, I really didn't like the way it didn't drop the two bunnies (only photographed one) stone dead last night and yet still caused a mess of their heads. One took a couple of hops around with a big hole in the front of his face and both required a second shot. Is this usual for .17 or just me needing to improve my accuracy and place the shots further back to ensure clean kills and would the slightly large .22 WMR round have made any difference?

thats probably just the nerves etc having a moment, the bunny was probably totally lights out with the nervous system catching up... I've had bunnies look like they've got up and ran off a good few yards then keeled over but upon inspection its clear that the shot had remove its brain and severed the neck. defo dead on impact.