laws of shooting

mahmood

This is a confusing one. When I was studying for my Advanced Cert. in Deer Management at Sparsholt College I'm sure the law states that it is illegal to discharge a firearm from one hour after sunset until one hour before sunrise. Sureley this makes lamping of foxes/rabbits etc totally illegal!

Please correct me if I'm wrong as its something I've been meaning to find out about for ages. Time for a bit of googling methinks

Have a traul through this http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/docs/policeguide.pdf

Will B

I have also (read/heard) the same thing about discharging firearms. Shotguns are not firearms though . Thinking about it as i post , i'm sort of certain that the law states the a the firearm should not be discharged within a certain radius of dwellings. I'm not entirely sure though. So imo , jigger it and carry on as normal , you get any bother , just act ignorant , they'll forgive ya. :beer:

all the best yis yp :lol:

Strange this should pop up tonight as it was only last evening that I was arguing with my mate about lamping for hares after dark. I maintained it was legal , except for Sundays.

Before I go any further I am not setting myself up as the definitive answer to all the points raised. I think I should leave that ,possibly to Col Pol, who has a far more extensive knowledge on such matters.

I think it is fair to say that we should all have a look at the BASC site or wherever, and familiarise ourselves with whatever part of the law affects our particular style of shooting.

Will.....are you confusing this with the offence of daytime poaching, when daytime is classified one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunrise ? I know of no restrictions on discharging a firearm , after dark, on private land ,providing you are the landowner or have legitimate access.

YP.... I know of no shooting related law that stops you shooting near to houses , providing you have legitimate access and are on the private land ,whether day or night .But if you were foolish enough to do it so near and at such a stupid time ,the Police could always fall back on the commom law offence of a Breach of the peace.

Will...the "right" to shoot ground game (rabbits etc)is specifically catered for in the Ground Game Act 1880 and this was amended by the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act to legalise lamping. The 1981 Act also includes fox shooting after dark.

YP....I really have to pull you up by the short and curlies ,mate, on something you said above.

That a shotgun is not a firearm !! A firearm is described as any lethal barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or missile can be discharged. That is ,a shotgun is a firearm .It is only when you come to the classification of licensing a shotgun that the law states a different class of certificate is required if the shotgun fulfills certain dimensions etc etc.

By no means is this an exhaustive reply ,the laws just go on and on and sometimes clash with each other ! I think I've said enough on this ,as my opinion is that there are loads of grey areas in the shooting law. I think it is up to yourself to read up as much as you can so, if the worst comes to the worst, at least you may have some of the answers available. Don't forget ,most policemen know far less about the laws , than most of us.

So are the bloody stupid laws we all have to adhere to Red :<

I tried to make it short ,but the answers could be important to somebody else , thats why I really think we should all do our bit and try to read up as much as we can.

If you can't be ***** to read up ,just make sure no ****** hears or sees you !!! :beer:

Sniper my friend, I'll make a lawyer of you yet :lol::lol::lol: a good answer.

The hour before sunset / sunrise blah blah was introduced to criminalise poaching of game. Therefore vermin, which we all know the list (or should) is not included this includes rabbits and foxes, it is perfectly legal to shoot vermin at night.

YP don't confuse the discharge of a firearm within a certain distance of a public highway.... its a different law. Having said that the farmer may take the law into his own hands if you discharge a centre fire or shotgun under his bedroom window at 3am (YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED :lol::lol::beer::lol::lol::lol: )

Being sensible is a big part to hunting at night lads.

In certain counties it is illegal to shoot some or all game on sundays, and Xmas day, check up in the books and with BASC they can and will be happy to oblige.

I have been ribbed for long answers in the past also :lol::lol: but I make no apologies, the law is complex and sometimes technical and it is important if someone asks a question it is answered fully and in detail so as to avoid confusion and give the correct information.

Snipers advice on reading is very accurate, try an get to grips with it for your own safety and your own position, far better not to break the law (ignorance is no excuse) than employ V. expensive legal teams to defend you........... if nothing else its cheaper.

Safe happy hunting lads

Ok Here is what the Law States,for England and Wales

The use of firearms at night for shooting ground game is prohibited under section 6 of the ground game act 1880

Night time is between the expiration of the first hour after sunset and the last hour before sunrise

Scedule 7 of the wildlife & countryside Act 1981 provides an exception for occupiers of land, or one other person authorised by them, to use firearms at night for the purpose of killing ground game, If the occupier has the written authority of a person entitled to kill or take ground game on that land, that is the holder of the shooting rights.

The above does not mention Rabbits (vermin) or ducks etc.But it clearly states One person so if you go out with your mates be careful :lol::D

Hope this helps

:D

Hi

Its late but heres my 2 penny worth. Try the Webley Xocet XS .22, great little budget rifle with plenty of poke and a fixed silencer. If you get it from Ramsbottoms you could afford to upgrade to the Varmint range finding scope for £40 and still have lots of change.

:lol::D:D:D:D:D

I might be new but ladies please put your handbags away:)

I think the comment was if you can't use firearms then use an air rifles. Not that i can help with the after dark question.

Only thing is how are we going to shoot the vampires now if we can't shoot in the dark? :D:lol: or is this a devil?