Electric Rotarys and Flappers

Just wondered what peoples opinions were of rotary's and flappers. I know some people use them, I have them but have only limited knowledge of pigeon shooting. I know Chris Greens opinion is that they are simply bird scares. Are they worth it, are they worth humping extra gear, do they bring much to the party or do the Chris Green style of decoys work best?

As with everything, there are loads of opinions!

A rotary and a flapper are useful tools to take out, they don't work everytime and I know people that have put carrier bags on their rotaries at the far end of a field to keep the birds off.

I have them and use them approximately half of the time, Mr Green is entitled to his opinion but I would rather have one of each available when heading out to the fields.

well iv tried mr greens floater/bouncers and at 50 quid there as much use a chocolate fire guard if birds don't like them they wont come my best days have all come when you find the birds in massive numbers canning field iv had birds trying to land while i was putting decoys out now there good days .

You can have every toy on market and a lorry to carry it all but no birds no shots its that simple out of every thing i own id say flapper is best

Thanks for the replies guys, as I say I have both a royray and a flapper but only have limited experience. I don't think I would ever pay £50 for a single decoy, for me thats just way over price, I like the idea of the way he makes his shells and full bodies move, but again this is pretty cheap to make yourself, bit of wire and some fishing line. Ive done the fishing line on all mine so just need to track down some 12g wire (is it 12g?)

Just wondered what peoples opinions were of rotary's and flappers. I know some people use them, I have them but have only limited knowledge of pigeon shooting. I know Chris Greens opinion is that they are simply bird scares. Are they worth it, are they worth humping extra gear, do they bring much to the party or do the Chris Green style of decoys work best?

You will have the most success when the birds want to feed in that field and you don’t shoot straight down the flight line….

When the birds are feeding in a field when you turn up they have landed on because they know food is there...

One lands and the rest follow! If you didn’t want to use a rotary or flapper then have a big sack of decoys.

I and a lot of others use the rotary as a way of steering the birds into an area we want to kill them in. As so many times footpaths, horses, PEOPLE and houses dictate how we have to shoot.

The trick is too be where they want to go, that is the hard bit…

TEH

My version of the Chris Green style decoys, comments please.

Piece of 6mm alloy pipe (£4.00 a metre from Homebase) and a 4mm steel welding rod with the flux knocked off (free as my mates a welder!) decoys £2.50, fishing line, call it £10 for 2!

IMG_1082_zps2914969d.jpg

Edited by dadrew

The green ones use little ally garden rods that are coated green. 99p from b and q and will make 3!

The rod on the greens is what we use for straining wire I'm not sure of its proper name but its cheap!

They will do nicely but I would have to plasticote them!