Beretta 692 - Anyone tried/bought one yet.

MITCHF

Surely that check should be done by Beretta not a dealer/rfd to make sure a new gun is ready for sale

Just my opinion but I think in the case of the 692 demand overtook supply and the quality /checks dropped to push through to satisfy sales

I understand what you are saying and yes to a great extent you are correct.however in these days of automated manufacture a lot of small faults can and do slip through.as with things like say cars a pre delivery Inspection is always done at the dealers its progress i suppose.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does seem kind of ironic that there's a significant QA problem with the rubberized top lever that no one wanted in the first place. :/

My experience with buying new Berettas is that dealers don't give them a detailed inspection or even thoroughly clean off the cosmoline packing grease. But then I suppose they know most customers will do a full clean & lube before use.

I understand what you are saying and yes to a great extent you are correct.however in these days of automated manufacture a lot of small faults can and do slip through.as with things like say cars a pre delivery Inspection is always done at the dealers its progress i suppose.

Even with the hassle I had with mine, I still wouldn't choose another gun.

To me the 692 is the nicest gun I've owned to date :)

Hi All,

So what's on the 'to look out for' list then ?

I'm seriously thinking of a 692 at the moment as I fancy a change so considering selling 2 guns and putting £800 cash in for one.

Cheers

to be honest if it was me buying one now I would just go to a gunsmith not a salesman and try for fit ignore the scare stories you are buying one gun there are and always will be a lot of beretta knockers out there as it is a sport in this country to knock success and they are the most successful firearms company.my dealer/smith checks cleans and lubricates all guns on his shelfs new or used I have bought over twenty guns from him over the past few years and never a problem with any of them.and mostly beretta's

Hi All,

So what's on the 'to look out for' list then ?

I'm seriously thinking of a 692 at the moment as I fancy a change so considering selling 2 guns and putting £800 cash in for one.

Cheers

Top lever is operating correctly , they can be very stifff and touch the stock

Check all the chokes screw in to the correct depth into the gun and are machined correctly inside

Check that both ejectors are working in the on and off position (they can be set to not eject )

Check the little screw what allows the trigger to be adjusted is not poorly machined

That's about it far as I know happy buying :)

to be honest if it was me buying one now I would just go to a gunsmith not a salesman and try for fit ignore the scare stories you are buying one gun there are and always will be a lot of beretta knockers out there as it is a sport in this country to knock success and they are the most successful firearms company.my dealer/smith checks cleans and lubricates all guns on his shelfs new or used I have bought over twenty guns from him over the past few years and never a problem with any of them.and mostly beretta's

Yes,I know what you mean and agree.

I've had a good look at a couple now and the fit seems spot on (well best I can work out out without shooting) and they come up so nicely.

Cheers.

Check all the chokes screw in to the correct depth into the gun and are machined correctly inside

Check that both ejectors are working in the on and off position (they can be set to not eject )

Check the little screw what allows the trigger to be adjusted is not poorly machined

Cheers for these pointers - I'm reasonably experienced with both shotguns and rifles, but it's just always best in my opinion to seek others advice so many thanks.

ATB.

I know of a bloke who sent his 692 back after less than a 100 shots due to the top lever sticking meaning he could not close the gun properly. Closer examination revealed the lock-up pins had been drilled off centre. The replacement gun (also brand new) did the same after 200 shots,but lock up holes seemed ok. He stated the woodwork needed a fair bit of work on it prior to taking out as the first one 'bloomed' after getting wet.

Demand for these popular models was high and as a result possibly production suffered in the name of demand, but QC seem to be on top of things now and feedback seems much better.

Thats one hell of an { can't think of the right word}

QC people in factories can usually spot flaws normally unnoticed by ordinary people.

sales people handle lots of guns and should be well versed in what to look for.

And yet , you advocate that buyer who could be a first timer should second guess those experts

and spot problems with a cursory glance that the so called experts have missed

as regards the condition of a new £2500+ purchase

Not a good state of affairs

Italian Baikal :lol: like it.

Unless I came into some money I wouldn't buy a new Beretta these days.

Think I'd buy a used Perazzi 2000 or DT10 sporter.

I'd even take a look at the new Guerini sporter models, but a few indifferent comments on longevity.

Figgy

So what is the relevance of coming into money to do with buying or the quality of new beretta's.also perazzi have their problems on a production volume scale probably the same as any other maker.

So what is the relevance of coming into money to do with buying or the quality of new beretta's.also perazzi have their problems on a production volume scale probably the same as any other maker.

As I already bought new a few years ago a 682 Gold E if I was to buy a new gun it would be for a better higher range one hence a lot more money. As I think the DT11 bore is awfull and cheap looking with blue paint on the action. I would choose a DT10 or more likely a Perazzi Sporter, Kreighoff or one of the soon to be released Faulds Guerinis. I would not buy a new Beretta Sporter.

I understand all makers can have problems with production runs but the others I have listed don't seem plagued like the latest Berettas of late.

Figgy

Bought mine last May and I believe it was one of the first 32" Sporters to make it to the UK.

I did have a few teething troubles, both related to a sticking top lever but I must say GMK were excellent on both occasions and the gun hasn't missed a beat for the last 6 months.

I'm passed the honeymoon period now and still love it to bits. I am recoil sensitive and the most I could put through any 0/U prior to the 692 were 24g bit I can happily stick any 28g shell through this and the felt recoil is very low. My scores have both increased and become more consistent.

This is the 5th Beretta I've owned in the last 4 years ranging from 682 Gold E through to an Prevail and apart from the sticky top lever I'd say build quality is at least as good on the 692 as the others if not a touch better.

Unless I pick the right 6 numbers at the weekend I'll be sticking with mine for some time to come.

As I already bought new a few years ago a 682 Gold E if I was to buy a new gun it would be for a better higher range one hence a lot more money. As I think the DT11 bore is awfull and cheap looking with blue paint on the action. I would choose a DT10 or more likely a Perazzi Sporter, Kreighoff or one of the soon to be released Faulds Guerinis. I would not buy a new Beretta Sporter.

I understand all makers can have problems with production runs but the others I have listed don't seem plagued like the latest Berettas of late.

Figgy

Perazzi have issues one of my clients is on his 4th stock. The first was some one else's dimensions. The second the wood was to dense and made the gun unbalanced. The third was again the wrong dimension and the fourth is on route he has not fired the gun he ordered yet own the action and barrels for over 9 months mind.

Perazzi have issues one of my clients is on his 4th stock. The first was some one else's dimensions. The second the wood was to dense and made the gun unbalanced. The third was again the wrong dimension and the fourth is on route he has not fired the gun he ordered yet own the action and barrels for over 9 months mind.

I was looking into a perazzi I wanted a mx12 the main thing I came up against was that a lot of what I looked at were custom for the original purchaser and they never felt quite right for me I have read about the ribs coming loose but more worrying was my g/smith who is a perazzi dealer advised me not to buy a drop out trigger as the extra wood they take out to fit this makes the stock weak and they tend to crack,also the v spring on the trigger maybe that is a small point but I shoot to enjoy it not to play around with them in the field.as it would only have been a gun that would have gone out a fewtimes a year I was not prepared to buy a new one as I know I would be swapping it for something else within eighteen months or so.i have complete faith in the beretta brand and I am now in the process of buying an so5.i have never been let down by one of their guns and I have from onyx to eel's.