Shooting Foxes

Hi Can anyone give me any advice on shooting foxes with a shotgun. A friend that keeps chickens is having a real problem with them and asked if I could do anything about it. I was wondering if I could set up a hide and ambush them when they come close to the pen. What size cartridge would be best and what size choke should i use.

I would rather shot them with a rifle but I dont have an FAC. so the other alternative would be to invite someone with the right kit to join me. To be honest this would kill two birds with one stone as I want to get My FAC but my local Firearms unit like you to have a shooting log. If anyone is interested PM me. Im based in bedford and the Chickens are in the st Ives area.

I use BB in a 12guage 2 3/4. you need to be as close as possible , and know the time they come round. Really important to be down wind from them. If they kill and leave one , keep the carcas for a day or two then leave it out.

I often use both barrels . It can be quite messy!

Check also where your boundaries are so you can't get any problems.

John.

I use Eley Alphamax 42g BB. Do bear in mind that you don't want really tight chokes in, as it is quite big load. Tight chokes could lead to bit of pressure.

I'm sure that's very unlikely to be a problem, but I like to be on the safe side.

Guide, as close as you can get, whatever, Close, No 3 and almost any choke so long as you are close.

Whats that about..... but my local Firearms unit like you to have a shooting log ?

i bet he"s on about that stupid thing they keep trying to tell me is law " you need to ring up and tell us your out shooting" errrrrrrrr SORRY but i don"t or and second thing its not law

shooting log load of rubbish they just want to keep track of us with guns they still come out evan when you tell them

Edited by swiss.tony

its a feo trying to get an idea if you have any experience with rifles during the application process which I can't really see as being a bad thing.

Shotgun wise you can try it but it is so much simpler with a rifle. If you get super stuck let me know and we can see if we can sort something but I have a lot of the little blighters to deal with at the moment

Thanks for the info guys its all very helpfull.

The log is more about seeing that I have experiance and I have a bit but not loads and it has been a while as well.

I'm going to have a look on saturday and do some recon. From what I know the foxes are pretty ballsy and are hitting the chickens at all times. They have set up a den under someones summer house in the middle of the village so I'm guessing they're not shy !!

Al4x i'll let you know how it looks and I may well take you up on your offer.

BB in a 12guage 2 3/4. :no: you don't want tight chokes with BB in

I use BB in a 12guage 2 3/4. you need to be as close as possible , and know the time they come round. Really important to be down wind from them. If they kill and leave one , keep the carcas for a day or two then leave it out.
I often use both barrels . It can be quite messy!
Check also where your boundaries are so you can't get any problems.
John.

Hi Can anyone give me any advice on shooting foxes with a shotgun. A friend that keeps chickens is having a real problem with them and asked if I could do anything about it. I was wondering if I could set up a hide and ambush them when they come close to the pen. What size cartridge would be best and what size choke should i use.

I would rather shot them with a rifle but I dont have an FAC. so the other alternative would be to invite someone with the right kit to join me. To be honest this would kill two birds with one stone as I want to get My FAC but my local Firearms unit like you to have a shooting log. If anyone is interested PM me. Im based in bedford and the Chickens are in the st Ives area.

You'd be better off in a car than a hide if possible. Believe it or not they won't pay much attention to a vehicle as long as you keep still and keep back from the open window so your face isn't glaring out at them. Your scent will also be masked very well if you only have one window open but still park downwind of where you expect to see it though. Also try sitting in the passenger side (presuming you're right handed) as it gives a better shooting position.

+1 for BB or AAA also but a nice open or 1/4 choke as the larger shot won't pattern well through anything tight.

BB in a 12guage 2 3/4. :no: you don't want tight chokes with BB in

Didn't say I did. In fact I use improved and quarter.

Rarely use tight chokes except for high birds .

Foxes isn't about shooting accuracy its about field craft to get close.

BB every time.

Regards John.

I like the sound of this and it makes a lot more sence than i hide i'll see how things go saturday.

You'd be better off in a car than a hide if possible. Believe it or not they won't pay much attention to a vehicle as long as you keep still and keep back from the open window so your face isn't glaring out at them. Your scent will also be masked very well if you only have one window open but still park downwind of where you expect to see it though. Also try sitting in the passenger side (presuming you're right handed) as it gives a better shooting position.

+1 for BB or AAA also but a nice open or 1/4 choke as the larger shot won't pattern well through anything tight.