Pup not eating enough

Cosd

Had my pup now for just over two weeks and I've been struggling with his food intake.

He's on Large breed puppy by Arden Grange and I'm putting down 450gm per day over three meals.

He has a few mouthfuls and stops. Last week I tried leaving him longer between meals and that seemed to do better as he ate more.

I thought I was winning but yesterday he didn't eat so well and today even less. If I hesitate a guess I'd say he Tas on average just over 300gm per day.

I just went down to the pet shop and after asking advise I bought a few pouches of James Wellbeloved wet food. I mixed 150gm with 100gm of Arden Grange and I've never seen him lick the bowl clean and searching for more.

Is what I'm doing ok? Obviously I want to give him the best nutrition possible.

Edited by Cosd

Could be he just hates the stuff. My spaniels used to eat Working crunch along with pal but one day they ate all of the meat and wouldn't touch the biscuit. I just thought that there was something in it that tasted or smelt strange to them, so I gave the other half of the sack to a mate to see if his dog would eat it. His dog ate it all. I went and bought another sack and they wouldn't eat that either so my mate had that sack also. Got a sack of terrier meal ( A biscuit like Winalot) and no probs at all they ate that ok. I cant stand cabbage and if I was given a plate full of that for dinner I wouln't eat it. I might pick it about a bit but I wouldn' t eat much of it. Now I would be interested if it was chocolate biscuits or bacon and sausage.

Edited by fortune

You should have got a lab cosd , mine leaves his bowl looking like its been polished in 30 seconds :lol:

I had the same trouble with flynn my cocker when he was a pup , just would not eat despite having the food the breeder used, mixed it with wet food and he was away.

Been giving the Lab some raw meats with one meal and he looks well on it , have a look at pets at home or such like for Natures Menu raw foods , they are in the freezers and not over expensive at around 89- 95p a block they contain nothing but meat , I get 4 meals from a block at present feeding once a day.

I work in the pet wet food business and can tell you they are decent enough but are far from 100% meat

Try soaking the AG Cos, never had a problem with pups eating it.

I'm not a fan of offering up various things until they decide they like it. How's his weight and "output"? The recommended daily allowance is just that, recommended so if his weight's ok leave him be.

I also put the food down and give them 5 minutes, if it's not gone it gets lifted until the next mealtime - they soon learn to eat when they are given the chance.

My collie did not like dried food when a pup even if wetted. I ended up buying the cheap tinned wet food from tesco and used the dried complete food as mixer and he wolfed it down every time, at about 9 months i found him digging in to the dry food at my parents house and so after that he know only has dried.

As said look at his condition and go from there but with a breed like that you do want to be getting a fair bit of food in. Like yours mine likes wet food with the dried but isn't greedy and tends to snack on it through the day. Works as I've only got the one at the moment and means she just has what she wants, condition is fine so I've left it at that. Puppy stage you could start looking at some of the raw foods mince and chicken etc to make sure you keep the nutrition levels up

• 4 weeks later...

Jake is now eating well and polishing off his bowl.

I've switched to feeding twice a day a little earlier than planned but this way he is hungrier. The main reason that he is now eating though is that I have added a little wet food to the Arden Grange.

I went to Pet At Home and asked for the best quality wet foods they had, they pointed out six types and I bought 3 of every kind. What was apparent is that he loves chicken and lamb. In the end I found the ones he just didn't like, ones that he was OK with and the one that he loves which is Natures Menu.

http://www.yourpetswarehouse.com/all/dogs/wet-food/natures_menu_puppy_food-px1000?gclid=CLWN-6nBx7cCFQ3KtAodpz8ApA

He now gets about 170g of Arden Grange and 60g of Natures Menu well mixed in twice a day. His weight is coming along and getting back on track adding on between 600g and 1200g (once) per week in body weight.

Thanks all for the tips and advice.

Geez that stuff is expensive £1.60 per lb, supermarket 3 for £10 chickens work out cheaper at £1.12 per lb

I look at it a different way, £1.05 for a 300g sachet, lasts me 5 feeds so not that expensive at .42p per day. The Arden Grange costs .91p per day, so that's under £1.35 total cost per day. If I was feeding just the Arden Grange it would cost £1.23, so the difference isn't that much considering he is on good quality food.

Im lucky I live right by a raw feed supplier so I can easily obtain chicken /beef fish etc .

I dont feed it everyday I use Dr Johns in between but You can tell the differebnce on the raw in my opinion.

Every spaniel I have had I always mix in veg / fish etc its benefical Im sure.