sprockers

any of you folks have pictures of your sprockers, iv'e just bought a pup and would like to see pictures of adults and hear what you think of that cross as working dogs compared to straight springers or cockers cheers.

post-63304-0-97507500-1368038485_thumb.jpg

post-63304-0-35902900-1368038727_thumb.jpg

Edited by big napper

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would never encourage the breeding of mongrels. In my opinion it encourages irresponsible breeding, such as puppy pedlars. The biggest advantage of KC reg are the breeding restrictions and lineage records of each dog produced.

Having said that I do wish you all the very best with yours and I don't see anything wrong with the breeding from a practical working point of view.

Lee

Theres a big difference between farming Puppies for sale and crossing two working dogs to get a particular size/style of dog which is what the KC did to get the springers and cockers we now recognise as different breeds at one time these were all one breed the field spaniel?

which is technically what a "sprocker" is

post-52371-0-57074400-1368047938_thumb.jpg

Great video Chrispti i hope Bullet makes it to that grade! :) i dont see what a bit of paper has to do with how good a gun dog a pup will make yeah you can't be sure os size/build etc with a sprocker but they still make great dogs non the less.

i agree all this crossing labs an poodles and selling the pups for silly money is stupid but i think its different with a sprocker as they make great working dogs :)

Theres a big difference between farming Puppies for sale and crossing two working dogs to get a particular size/style of dog which is what the KC did to get the springers and cockers we now recognise as different breeds at one time these were all one breed the field spaniel?

I didn't say they were the same thing, what I said was it removes the accountability of the Kennel Club which makes it easy for profuse puppy breeders who are looking for popular trends of crosses to produce for the market.

But what would you call it and what would the purpose be? With regards to Sprockers is that not reversing the heritage and invested interest of two very excellent working breeds, the Springer and the Cocker. Breeds that came about by the intentional seperation of smaller and larger dogs of the same litter to be worked for similar but different purposes.

Personally I would never encourage the breeding of mongrels. In my opinion it encourages irresponsible breeding, such as puppy pedlars. The biggest advantage of KC reg are the breeding restrictions and lineage records of each dog produced.

Having said that I do wish you all the very best with yours and I don't see anything wrong with the breeding from a practical working point of view.

Lee

Totally agree with this post.

Also cants see any reason to cross breed KC reg working dogs.

If you want a Springer buy a Springer, if you want a Cocker buy a Cocker#

Can’t really even see the point of the cross to be fair, both work well and both do just about the same type of work.

The K.C have all kinds of restrictions on breeding dogs to often, all this is lost with cross bred dogs, and yes I know of a guy that has bred a litter of Sprockers more often than he would be permitted if he was breeding KC reg pups.

Before all the longdog/lurcher lads jump on this, yes I can see a point in crossing them.

it doesnt make them a lesser dog though does it? they still make great gun dogs? i had a KC reg dog last time and being a show type dog he was that inter bred he was never a healthy dog i personally like the idea of the blood lines being broken and your can't get much more broken than breeding a springer and a cocker end of the day i am happy owning my sprocker he is starting to do as i want him to do and thats all that matters in my eyes infact he looks more like a cocker that most of the KC reg cockers i have seen lately ;)

May be the KC should change their stuck up attitude towards proven working crosses

what and start registering mongrels?

the key thing with having a registered dog is you know what lines its from and increasingly that it has had the appropriate health tests done. Its not perfect and it is open to abuse but it beats just believing what you are told is the dogs lineage.

what and start registering mongrels?

the key thing with having a registered dog is you know what lines its from and increasingly that it has had the appropriate health tests done. Its not perfect and it is open to abuse but it beats just believing what you are told is the dogs lineage.

but if its bred from two registered dogs you know the lines surely?

Traceability through pedigrees gives far more knowledge of what's behind a dog than crossing breeds, where inevitably the traceability is lost after the mating.

I really can't be bothered arguing this one again, do what you like lads and enjoy your dogs. I'll stick to pedigree dogs and knowing what I am getting.

but if its bred from two registered dogs you know the lines surely?

why would you breed two different breeds that are properly registered though? ok if its an accident but there isn't much logic in just trying to wreck breed standards. After all one generation down you have a sprocker cross that with another sprocker and you get a complete miss match. I'm with WGD on all aspects

Traceability through pedigrees gives far more knowledge of what's behind a dog than crossing breeds, where inevitably the traceability is lost after the mating.

I really can't be bothered arguing this one again, do what you like lads and enjoy your dogs. I'll stick to pedigree dogs and knowing what I am getting.

Nothing to argue about WGD everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i am happy with my dog as he is with no papers i have no interest in FT i can understand where your coming from about knowing what your getting as an end product and i am totally against breeding pups in a mass production way the crossing of the two dogs involved in the creation of mine was an accident but as they are both good working dogs thats all i was interested in, he is turning into a good strong dog who has the makings of a decent dog from what i am told.

the breeder owned both parents, kc springer and kc cocker both excellent working gundogs, he wanted a pup out of both his dogs, (which he trained himself) nothing to do with anything else except that reason which is why he bred them, he has kept 2 pups for himself his friend got one and i got one.

cracking looking dog beeredup

Personally if our next dog turns out to be a sprocker i would be very happy, I would have a straight cocker but the Mrs wont as she once had one that was KC but suffered terrible raging and bit her, her brother and her farther so the dog had to go. I prefer the cocker to the springer and so the sprocker is the good compromise and hopefully be a healthyier dog !

Just my feeling with it.

ATB

Matt

cracking looking dog beeredup

Cheers i am very happy with him and his progress sometimes he is like Satans spaniel but he is waiting for his gonads to drop so he is in a hormonal limbo at the moment lol but when he listens to me is Quarters nicely and crashes cover nicely turns on the whistle and recalls ok but he is easily distracted which is just his age so i minimise the possibility of distractions for now :)

Personally if our next dog turns out to be a sprocker i would be very happy, I would have a straight cocker but the Mrs wont as she once had one that was KC but suffered terrible raging and bit her, her brother and her farther so the dog had to go. I prefer the cocker to the springer and so the sprocker is the good compromise and hopefully be a healthyier dog !

Just my feeling with it.

ATB

Matt

my last pet dog was KC reg'd and he had all kinds of health probs due to too close a breeding (he was an American Cocker who Sire was a crufts champ) kinda put me off the whole KC thing