sprockers

The sprockers I have met have either taken on the style of the cocker or the springer not a mixture of the two. I have owned both breeds and they work in different ways. to do the same job. With cockers you get that very busy attitude and the I aint going in there because there is nothing in there and the springer is all I am going into everything just in case mate

What are the advantages of a sprocker ?.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sprockers I have met have either taken on the style of the cocker or the springer not a mixture of the two. I have owned both breeds and they work in different ways. to do the same job. With cockers you get that very busy attitude and the I aint going in there because there is nothing in there and the springer is all I am going into everything just in case mate

What are the advantages of a sprocker ?.

Totally agree, two breeds that do the same job but in a totally different way, you'll only ever get one or the other out of a cross mating so why bother?

yeah i suppose planning it is probably a bit daft but as non reg'd gun dogs as a result of an accident/mistake i have no problem with i would rather have that than bags of puppies being chucked in a river! i am happy to own my sprocker and your right he is definately leaning towards being a cocker in size and mannerism

crispti,,,, i hope my pup gets that good, great video there mate, looks spot on.

Thank you.

the breeder owned both parents, kc springer and kc cocker both excellent working gundogs, he wanted a pup out of both his dogs, (which he trained himself) nothing to do with anythingI need else except that reason which is why he bred them, he has kept 2 pups for himself his friend got one and i got one.

Similar story as mine, both parents came from trialling lines, I saw the dogs working and all their paperwork, so knew she was coming from the right background.

As she was going to be my first dog, I chose a £200 sprocker because I felt a ££££ red hot trialling dog would be wasted in my inexperienced hands.

My next dog might be a different story, but then again, do I need to spend £££££ on a rough shooting dog......

Its a bit like buying a Beretta DT11 for pigeon shooting....

Edited by chrispti

Nice one - I grew up with the Langstone harbour fowlers - no one had KC pedigree dog then - they were all spaniels, they bred the best workers (No pup farms) - I hope you have one of these lines (if they still exist) - cracking dogs.

• 3 weeks later...

i will always have sprockers....find they are long lived and have a sense of humour ! my present flock ..the sire was a solid black cocker ftch, crossed with the worst example of a springer spanial i have ever seen...but threw cracking pups..........

i get what people say that crossing to make a mongrol is irrisponcible. but i think it is personel prefrance.. i my self like a pure breed cocker or springer. only because i like to compete (or try)

a few breeders here in devon have had prebooked sprocker pup all this year.and was told by a scottish gamekeeper freind that they make a great grouse dog.

on my rough shoot some one has a sprocker and it seems fine does the same as mine. just does not have the paper work with it. which is fine if your not interested in breeding or competeing.

still each to there own i supose.

to my mind the labradoodle makes more sense as it has a purpose to make a house dog that doesn't shed its coat inside, though prices are ridiculous as are the name issues. With working dogs if you want a cocker get one if you want a springer get one the idea of crossing deliberately I struggle to find a reason for unless as you say accident, if you have a nice KC reg cocker then why would you put it to anything other than the best dog you could having done any health testing etc recommended and then registered the litter.

:good:

• 2 weeks later...