DIY Wads for blackpowder revolvers

To use target loads in my blackpowder revolver I need something to take up the space between powder and ball. I was looking at the price of felt for making wads, it very expensive. Many shooters use a filler such as semolina to fill the air-gap, but it's messy and doesn't help lube the barrel.

Then I remembered a device from the 70's, that made fire-logs from wet newspaper in a mould, and I wondered if I could make something similar to "cast" wads.

Do you think it would work ? If not, any other suggestions ?

I also thought about the wood pellets used for eco-boilers, they are made by heating sawdust and extruding it under pressure into a cylinder shape. I wonder if they make them in .45 calibre.

I was looking at the price of felt for making wads, it very expensive. Many shooters use a filler such as semolina to fill the air-gap, but it's messy and doesn't help lube the barrel.

Buy a punch from Kranks in the calibre of your choice and a sheet of felt pad from a dressmakers/home furnishing store.

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=116_151_672

All my shotguns have used overshot cards as wads! A stack of a few of them usually perform as good as any other wad type ( I say usually because one shotgun don't like them and has to have a fiber wad).

Get a punch or make one as I often do/have done and stamp beer mats. Go .025" larger than the cylinder bores. Three or four of them on yer powder, blob of lube, ball and somemore lube and away you go.

U.

Or, of course, I could stop being such a wuss and fill the thing with powder :lol:

Thing is, it shoots sweetly with 15grn Pyrodex in a chamber that can take 40grn+ so it needs quite a bit of space-filler.

What about the green stuff used as 'underlay' in laminate flooring. It is sold in Wickes.

That's an idea, I'll have a look. I've seen cork floor tiles recommended too, but I'd prefer some kind of felt boiled in tallow / lard / beeswax.

But you could also apply the same reasoning with reloading rife ammunition.Punching wads is just another part of the shooting hobby.

No, punching wads is really slow and boring, like you do ten and give up, or want to give up and it stops being fun. I have punched out lots, from necessity, but I don't enjoy it.

I have tried the underlay from laminate flooring. It looks like it should be brilliant but didn't cut very well.

A second flask filled with semolina is still the easiest. But this is why I gave up on revolvers and shoot a single shot M/L pistol. In a morning on the range I will easily shoot double what my mates shoot with their revolvers. More than double, they spend more time loading than shooting, I don't. I can shoot sixty rounds in an hour and have done it easily as a bet. And my pistol is way more accurate than any revolver.

Everybody buys revolvers because they think they are better but they are hard work and they wear out really quickly. The metal is really soft, Rugers being the exception

Edited by Vince Green