Transferring my first shotgun

gunnerboi

hello all

im 17 and have recived my sgc after a lengthy wait im going with a family friend next weekend to get a gun he will have to buy me it and give it to me can anyone give any advice on the transfer forms because the gun dealer will have to send a form away aswell as my friend to say they have transfered a gun but then i need my friend to transfer it to me do i have to wait before i can do this or can it be done straight away or must we wait for flo to recive the first transfer

sorry if i have got this wrong or a bit long winded in my explanation just want some advice and help as im a newbie

also any links to forms would be helpful thanks guys

I'll leave someone more knowledgable than me to tell you the exact procedure, but you can find the forms on most police force websites.

My area, for example :

http://www.north-wales.police.uk/idoc.ashx?docid=bcf8b53b-1099-45d1-b66b-063d2bbaf3d0&version=-1

That is specifially for my force area though, so don't use it unless you live in north wales !

don't worry fella your rfd will keep you right. as i understand it the rfd will sell you friend a gun for which the rfd will notify the local force.

your friend would then have to gift you the gun for which you and your friend would need to notify. i think [as i said your rfd will or flo will keep you right].

make sure any notifications of transfers are recorded/signed for. you can print transfer forms off the BASC website sorry i don't have a link.

does my friend not need to send a form off once he has recived the gun from dealer

Yes, he needs to notify them of the acquisition and the disposal put it all in one envelope and save on the postage.........(after taking copies for his records)

Yes, he needs to notify them of the acquisition and the disposal put it all in one envelope and save on the postage.........(after taking copies for his records)

got me thinking now mate. i bought a gun from an rfd in february he told me all the notification was done at his end which he did there and then by fax.

i have a receipt with the date and time of the fax etc.

i will be ringing him in morning.

It is only the person that sells the firearm ( or gifts it ) that needs to send the form off, as both parties fill the same form in.

In the case of the op then Im pretty sure the rfd selling the shotgun to your friend will help you to fill in the relevant forms and tell you what to do with them. They will also have the forms there so no need to source them yourself. The forms between yourself and your friend can be sent straight away with no need to wait but obviously seperate to the ones between your rfd and your friend if this makes sense.

It is only the person that sells the firearm ( or gifts it ) that needs to send the form off, as both parties fill the same form in.

Really? I have always sent one in as the buyer............

Firearms (amendment) 1997 (abridged)

Failure to comply with any of the following sections is an offence punishable by a term of imprisonment of up to six months, a fine of up to £2,000 or both.

Transfers of firearms etc. to be in person

32. Where, in Great Britain, a shot gun, firearm or ammunition is sold, hired, lent or given for more than 72 hours to a person who is neither a registered firearms dealer or a person who is exempt from requiring a certificate:

(a)The transferee must produce to the transferor the certificate or permit entitling him to purchase or acquire the firearm or ammunition being transferred.

(b)The transferor must comply with instructions in the certificate or permit and must hand the shot gun, firearm and ammunition to the transferee in person.

Notifications of transfers of firearms and shot guns

33. Where in Great Britain, any firearm or shot gun is sold, hired, lent or given for more than 72 hours:

(a)Any party to a transfer who holds a firearm or shot gun certificate or a visitor's firearm or shot gun permit shall within seven days notify the chief officer of police who granted his certificate or permit.

(b)The notice shall describe the firearm (giving its identification number if any), state the nature of the transaction and the name and address of the other party. The notice shall be sent by registered post or recorded delivery.

Notification of deactivation, destruction or loss, of firearms etc.

34. (1) Where, in Great Britain, any firearm, shot gun or ammunition to which a firearm or shot gun certificate or visitor's permit relates is deactivated, destroyed or lost (whether by theft or otherwise), the certificate holder who was last in possession shall within seven days notify the chief officer of police who granted his certificate or permit.

(2) The notice shall state the nature of the event and describe the firearm (giving its identification number) or ammunition. The notice shall be sent by registered post or recorded delivery.

(3) A firearm is deactivated if it is incapable of discharging any shot, bullet or other missile and has a certificate of deactivation issued from a Proof House.

Notification of events taking place outside Great Britain involving firearms etc.

1)35. Where, outside Great Britain, any firearm or shot gun is sold or otherwise disposed of which was authorised by a firearm or shot gun certificate, the transferor shall within 14 days notify the chief officer of police who granted his certificate.

2)Where, outside Great Britain, a firearm or ammunition to which a firearm certificate or shot gun to which a shot gun certificate relates is deactivated, destroyed or lost (whether by theft or otherwise) the certificate holder who was last in possession of the firearm or ammunition shall within 14 days notify the chief officer of police who granted the certificate.

3)The notice shall state the nature of the event and, in the case of a disposal, the name and address of the other party and contain a description of the firearm or ammunition (giving any identification number) and shall be sent within 14 days by registered post or recorded delivery if from the United Kingdom; and from elsewhere, in a manner as most closely corresponds to registered post or recorded delivery.

Note: 'In Great Britain' means anywhere in England, Scotland or Wales. 'Outside Great Britain' means elsewhere in the United Kingdom or any other country in the world 'the United Kingdom' means England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man.

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/aboutus/aboutus-depts/aboutus-depts-intel/aboutus-depts-firearmslic/aboutus-depts-firearmslic-transfer.htm

got me thinking now mate. i bought a gun from an rfd in february he told me all the notification was done at his end which he did there and then by fax.

i have a receipt with the date and time of the fax etc.

i will be ringing him in morning.

you will be ok

Kelbrook did this for me with no problems...twice

:shaun:

thanks for that shaun. i actually contacted two local RFD's today along with my flo. who all assured me that a recognised/reputable RFD has an agreement with our local force that notification of a sale of a shotgun is done once by the RFD for both party's so the buyer has it entered onto his/her cert and walks away. not sure if this is nationwide or just regional. no wonder there is confusion at times and the op needs to ask questions to be sure.

still probably best to cover your **** and get everthing in writing as HDAV says.

Last one I bought was from an RFD in a different region (and country) so transfer letters are going to totally seperate forces, while there is some sort of national database I am not sure all forces use it.

Oddly I don't know where an under 18 would stand if they were to not send in the transfer legally wise.