one for the legal eagles

cowboy1403

From what ive read, it seems like you have a license

why not ring the DVLA and ask why they refunded your money, it seems to me that somewhere down the line they have sent you a license but you didnt get it,

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The DVLA have recently, in conjunction with a change of timescales for people to respond to returning their licences tightened things up.

They found too many people trying to play the system.

Change of address and expired photocards are getting greater priority to stop abuses.

Edited by happypig

The scale have recently, in conjunction with a change of timescales for people to respond to returning their licences tightened things up.

They found too many people trying to play the system.

Change of address and expired photocards are getting greater priority to stop abuses.

but that is how the system works.dvla says you have to tell them if you move but there is no legal requirement to do so(that i can find) or they would have charged me with failing to notify them of change of address.

This is going to be like drawing hens teeth but I will try

To the offence of driving without an up to date licence ( valid address ) Up to £1000 pound fine

For the offence of driving not in accordance with a valid licence ditto

If your licence has been withdrawn , rescinded or otherwise written off ,,, the charge is " driving not in accordance with a valid licence ",,, you have a licence but it is not "valid"

If you have a licence which is not "valid" and you have an accident , your insurance Co. could withdraw your cover ,,, then you can be charged with driving without insurance ,,, if the police PNC your vehicle it will show up as being in the Care , Charge or Control of a Person Without A VALID Licence .

It is an offence which is similar to holding , having or being in charge of a shotgun , firearm or other weapon without a valid certificate/licence to do so

I fear that after reading all your posts on this you may not grasp the analogy

harrypen

Edited by harrypen

This is going to be like drawing hens teeth but I will try

To the offence of driving without an up to date licence ( valid address ) Up to £1000 pound fine

For the offence of driving not in accordance with a valid licence ditto

If your licence has been withdrawn , rescinded or otherwise written off ,,, the charge is " driving not in accordance with a valid licence ",,, you have a licence but it is not "valid"

If you have a licence which is not "valid" and you have an accident , your insurance Co. could withdraw your cover ,,, then you can be charged with driving without insurance ,,, if the police PNC your vehicle it will show up as being in the Care , Charge or Control of a Person Without A VALID Licence .

It is an offence which is similar to holding , having or being in charge of a shotgun , firearm or other weapon without a valid certificate/licence to do so

I fear that after reading all your posts on this you may not grasp the analogy

harrypen

can you show me these offenses as i can`t find them apart from section 87(1)of the 1988 road traffic act

Quite hard to keep up and was trying to add a Bristol twang for authenticity..... :)

Agree with the answer above. You seem to have been involved with the law enough times that when they checked with DVLA you were deemed to be a licence holder or they would have busted you on the spot.

Whatever they think you had one has now apparently lapsed or expired (based on what you have said).

It seems that you are at fault for not having a `current` licence but I don't think you have been driving without one for 20 years.

It is all a bit odd but you won't be insured if your licence has expired (whether you paid for it or not - the insurance companies don't care as it's free money to them).

DVLA's job is to ensure that drivers or legitimate and yes it costs money if you move house and yes it is a £1000 fine if you don't tell them. Sorry but that's life.

I might give Bristol a wide berth for a while though.... :/

Quite hard to keep up and was trying to add a Bristol twang for authenticity..... :)

Agree with the answer above. You seem to have been involved with the law enough times that when they checked with DVLA you were deemed to be a licence holder or they would have busted you on the spot.

Whatever they think you had one has now apparently lapsed or expired (based on what you have said).

It seems that you are at fault for not having a `current` licence but I don't think you have been driving without one for 20 years.

It is all a bit odd but you won't be insured if your licence has expired (whether you paid for it or not - the insurance companies don't care as it's free money to them).

DVLA's job is to ensure that drivers or legitimate and yes it costs money if you move house and yes it is a £1000 fine if you don't tell them. Sorry but that's life.

I might give Bristol a wide berth for a while though.... :/

at last someone who basically see`s it how i do.what i cant work out is how they now think my licence has expired.as i said i have never applied for a photo licence (until now)so my licence does or did not expire until my 70th birthday.

I would seek legal advice ... Take the dates and places to your lawyer.... It would appear on the face of it that you knew you were doing wrong .

Just because charges were not laid does not absolve you from the offence in the future.... Rarely would a lessor charge be laid alongside a more substantial duplication which wastes court time as someone pointlessly fights a lower charge in court which gets no separate penalty....

Edited by happypig

I have had a long night on the tiles however to make it simply, your licence was taken away and they issued you. A new one, a photo of one on a little card, that one expires after 10 years regardless, they won't issue u an old one as they no longer exist, hence it sounds like your driving not in accordance, hence insurance is also invalid. You Will be lucky to not be disqualified. I cannot comment as to whether the magistrates disqualify u or not as its up to them. I'm not sure of the full facts either, just my view on it.

can you show me these offenses as i can`t find them apart from section 87(1)of the 1988 road traffic act

http://drivingban.co.uk/drivingoffencespenalties.htm

not going to post on this again ,,,, your previous condemns you as a habitual offender ,,, you have escaped conviction on a number of occasions due to police goodwill in them not pursuing all possible charges

I am not connected with the police or the law ,,,, just been there , done that and didn't push my luck like you seem to have done,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so didn't need the T shirt

no offence to you is intended in anything that I have posted above

harrypen

why?because i want to fight a charge that i dont believe to be true.

Three reasons;

1. You appear to be a habitual lawbreaker in relation to driving.

2. You appear to be quite proud of getting away with it.

3. I'm not sure I want you on the same roads that the rest of us use and drive responsibly upon.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

The DVLA licensing rules that the rest of the country manage to grapple with aren't that tricky to follow.

This is all your own doing - see a brief, spend some money, pay a fine, lose a day in Court, lose some sleep - that's the muppet tax you now need to pay.

I personally hope you get disqualified as it sounds like your one of the worst drivers on the roads.

It also sounds like you've been driving without a valid licence for 18 years which means that any insurance you had would be invalid.

Talking of which don't you have to tell insurance companies that you have a valid driving licence before they will grant a policy? Because if you did it also sounds like fraud.

Edited by Muddy Funker

Are you guilty?

J.

Of course he is and of various other things like being a cock. I await the update on car removed and hefty fine etc etc and loosing the license he hasn't got properly. So with the news piece on the guy posting on the interweb being done for perverting the course of justice who is going to drop this one to his local plod :lol:

Are you guilty?

J.

not as far as i can work out going by what is written in law.if i thought i was guilty i would just plead guilty accept the punishment and move on.i believe someone at dvla input some detail wrong and when i applied for my first photo licence the mistake was found by their system which is why my fee was returned.

not as far as i can work out going by what is written in law.if i thought i was guilty i would just plead guilty accept the punishment and move on.i believe someone at dvla input some detail wrong and when i applied for my first photo licence the mistake was found by their system which is why my fee was returned.

REALLY!

Why the change of heart over the years?

Yet again you seem to be blaming someone else for your poor judgement!