most common shooting position when hunting ?

magpieman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been working on using the bodies natural triangles and letting my weight sink down so im not using any muscle tension to hold my aim, im still trying to work out why some times my shots pull to the left a little bit, im sure its in my posture some how

haha your name say it all lol, over the forearm i'll have to play around with that one, when i was younger my old man used to cuss me for leaning on things, he used to say learn to shoot standing up then every thing else is easy lol maybe its coz the tx200 is heavy but i havnt found a standing position that feels solid, it now makes sense why some folk use those hamster things

my logic about the siting position being common was based on the relatively short range of an air rifle coupled with the need to get close enough with out being seen by the target, i suppose more so than with longer range rifles being good at stalking might be more crucial, i do see a fair few rabbits when im out walking with my bino's but they seem pretty on it lol

They are shooting sticks, common knes made by deerehunter but others available. They come in the following...

1.monopod - single stick. Moves around too much

2.twin - two sticks. Bit steadier but still too much movement for longer range

3. Tripod - nice and steady when you're used to it

4. Quad - two pairs of sticks that are as stable as sticks get really but a little heavy to lug about.

If its any good to you, learn to use the sling for standing shots..stabilises the upper body using the triangle technique you spoke of.

i saw some dude on youtube showing how to wrap your arm around a sling to put it in tight, i thought that might not be to good using a springer ? ive also read that bipods are useless on springers too ?

Edited by magpieman

If the rifle is a springer and you want to use a set of shooting sticks just make sure the rifle rests in your hand and not on the actual sticks or it will jump about and be very inaccurate, if the rifle is a pcp then you will be ok with the rifle resting on the sticks. If I use sticks with my springer I hold the sticks with my fingers and rest the rifle in the natural groove at the base of my thumb. As said above, use the bodies natural triangles, so if standing let the upper arm rest against the body and use the sling to take some of the weight. If sitting place your elbow by your knee, don't put your elbow on your knee or you will have bone on bone, you need to have bone on muscle. Hope this helps, N.S.R.A. Coach. PS, have a look at Hunters Vermin on you tube, Dave James has a film showing an easy and cheap way to make a set of sticks

thanx for the tips n info i'll check out that youtube vid you mentioned, at the mo my grouping aint half bad, im shooting at small dots on card about the size of brass tack heads, its getting rare that i dont completely waste the dot, still its only at 17 yards till i get bigger space,

nice one =)

i'd come across that second article not so long back n ive seen that dude on youtube, he can certainly put a pellet where he wants it lol.

his thoughts on pcp rifles are kinda where im at. to put it another way, as a kid i was never that keen on toys that used batteries, i'd prefer things that are complete in and of them selves. i'd have to spend a "lot" of money on a pcp rifle before i felt i'd got some thing really worth having, not to mention the money on the peripherals to go with it. spring air rifles have been around a looooong time and as such have reached the peak of their evolution and development, at least when you talk about air arms, weihrauch, and webley to name but a few, in my mind they'll be more collectable in the future, and more notably still working lol

ps,

im putting flack jacket on as i speak ;)

Edited by magpieman