most common shooting position when hunting ?

magpieman

a bit of an 'open' question really.. hunting in a hide i suspect the sitting on a stool posision.

stalking will be standing to one knee or stand and squot depending on your style.

belly bopping accross a large flat feild..you guesed it, fully prone on the deck.

whilste hunting mines standing..because i was usualy walking at the time, squotting after the sight usualy spooks them off so its a case of least movent is best..so you were stood shoot from there, from a distance stalking in also has a tendancy to use several posision right up untill your spotted, so choise one wait up to ten minutes for the rabbit to take its eye from you then squot to take a easy '30'..or if your wise at the particular shoot you may well be stalking to a 40 or 45 yard squot or kneel shot etc etc..

hard to say but standin is the most.

Edited by stoogey

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a bit of an 'open' question really.. hunting in a hide i suspect the sitting on a stool posision.

stalking will be standing to one knee or stand and squot depending on your style.

belly bopping accross a large flat feild..you guesed it, fully prone on the deck.

whilste hunting mines standing..because i was usualy walking at the time, squotting after the sight usualy spooks them off so its a case of least movent is best..so you were stood shoot from there, from a distance stalking in also has a tendancy to use several posision right up untill your spotted, so choise one wait up to ten minutes for the rabbit to take its eye from you then squot to take a easy '30'..or if your wise at the particular shoot you may well be stalking to a 40 or 45 yard squot or kneel shot etc etc..

hard to say but standin is the most.

Hi Stoogey, who let you on here , get back to the AGF where you normaly

lurk,!!!! only joking , i am brian , happy bunny on the AGF. pretty dead on the agf these days,

so i am on here, the bbs, the hunting life, and a few other forums, good to have you on here.

atb brian

im feeling thats a realistic response there stoogey, i best start getting my standing skills in order =/ lol

field craft was always one of my stronger points, polishing my boots and putting those tight creases in my lightweights was another story lol

Edited by magpieman

Whilst in the field, my most common position would be supported by a tree/fence/gate/whatever I could find.

My preferred method would be prone, with everything you can think of thrown in between, I will always take any advantage I can and very rarely either have to, or want to take free standing shots.

I get to where the rabbits are before they come out, then I get into a nice comfortable prone position, pcp on the bipod, ready to shoot the little swines when they appear!

+ 1 , nothing better than waiting for them to pop out for a mooch,,but nothing worse when they don't appear :lol::lol:

the little swines lol. how camoed up you get when your out blastin, you on the 3d leafy sneak suit, or full ghillie vibe ?

right stoogey im gonna session the standing position for a while now, **** groups here i come lol

lol go for it...try not to get into the habbit of standing there clenching trying to hold it...rest if you end doing that, make it a 2 or 3 second thing, lift to the target steady and fire..watch the pellets hit then your done on that one, might sound strange but take yu time with them 2-3 seconds.

Edited by stoogey

ahh' the trusty nbc jacket, i do hope you've washed it plenty to get the charcole lining out of it lol. im in the process of collecting various scraps of cammo, currently on the hessian hunt. i did have loads of stuff back at my folks place, whats not rotten has been nicked by my brother lol

oh n stoogey i had a good bash at off hand yesterday, tried some ft stance that made me look like a cripple lol it might be a wee while before im hitting bunnies in the nut at any real distance, required hold over etc,

the path is long and hard but if it wasnt i'd get bored lol

Edited by magpieman

ahh' the trusty nbc jacket, i do hope you've washed it plenty to get the charcole lining out of it lol. im in the process of collecting various scraps of cammo, currently on the hessian hunt. i did have loads of stuff back at my folks place, whats not rotten has been nicked by my brother lol

oh n stoogey i had a good bash at off hand yesterday, tried some ft stance that made me look like a cripple lol it might be a wee while before im hitting bunnies in the nut at any real distance, required hold over etc,

Nope! Not washed, it is worn over sruffy/shabby old clothes and after a year most of the charcoal has gone in the direction of off.

You can get bet 6 suits for about £40 from ebay, remove liners from 2 for summer work, leave liners in 2 for rest of year, leaves 2 spare in case of barbed wire etc! Works well, the liners suppress any scent you may emit including Guiness byproducts! They are shower proof to a point and work well! Had my current NBC suits for just over a couple of years!

Edited by secretagentmole

yup takes a bit of time, think its why a lot stick to prone, trouple with sticking to prone is yu never get your musstles used to standing lol..

the stuff ive bought thus far has been real cheap from flea markets =) i'll be lucky if i manage to get all the bits that way. another thing im after is a green canvas sausage bag, there great for cutting panels out of for reinforcing contact points, ie front of your legs, ****, and elbows / under forearms etc. getting enough scrim for all the other panels is gonna be the tricky one with out gettin ripped off =(

as for shooting and standing i should see an improvement after ive wasted a tin of pellets that way ;)

heres one sort of hessien/jute..

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/army-surplus-uk/army-miscellaneous/pack-of-10-hessian-sand-bags-250833.html

some sort of net.. http://www.gelert.com/products/mini_hammock (2 inch netting is siot of useable but inch and half better..one inch if you want to go to town

pigion netting works, but it isnt strong, strong enoughto with stand a walk pace snag up, but at full spring ripps a bit, best used whilse legging it from a bull to avoid the back flip at the worst moment lol.

most of the hardened ghillie peeps go for proper strong nettting.

cold dies work ok (but read the instructions some need a fixer packet,they wont hold without it), like dylon etc...warm dies are a bit better but makes no real odds unless your favouring stronger colours..stronger the colours the more money on dyes basicaly.

thers the newer ply soething or other threads that the new suits on the net are made of, therye good and light and dont stink like hemp, if you find the stuff let me know lol.(you can just sew it straight to the jacket with a hand sewing machine thing,,)

Edited by stoogey