Where to find a cocker

JustJon

Uk gundogs or gundog breeders are good websites to start looking, felstead gundogs also.

I'll hopefully have a litter out of FTCH Poolgreen Farlow Ben to one of my bitches born in late June. Having her scanned next week to confirm is she is in pup

I recommend maesydderwen lines mate wont go far wrong with this line bred from prob the best trialler peter jones which has owned cockers for many years..each to their own mind..

This! Also give Darren a ring as Perce as suggested. He's a busy guy so if he doesn't answer leave a message. Oh! Our dog Moelfamau Socks has just sired a litter of pups which are now born. He is by FTCH Priorsmeadow Santino, loads of Measydderwen in his lines including the superb Scimitar. Give me a shout if you'd like contact details - the guy is near Mold, North Wales

Care to elaborate Alex?

Its interesting as having looked for a stud for my GWP the breed has had a lot of issues created by inbreeding so people try hard to avoid it, Looking at most of these cockers they are so inbred its ridiculous, none of the recommended health tests for the breed have been done and people just want certain lines and to keep inbreeding them. When the Kennel club average for breed is 9% and most of these are 20-25% that has to have an impact on the health of dogs, in my breed they have got inbreeding as a possible factor in epilepsy. The only exception in any above named being the dog you listed which has had health tests and a coefficient below the breed average thats a rare thing from the cockers I've looked up

I watched him in a trial for the first time nearly three years ago. Since then I've kept an eye on him and his progeny. The mating with my bitch, if she's taken, will resulting in a Coefficient of Inbreeding of 8.7%. Quite important to me as if I keep a pup and she is worth breeding from, it's likely I'll be going back to a dog of similar line which will bump the COI up a little

The 'working' cocker gene pool is in itself considerably smaller than the KC average COI suggests for the cocker breed on a whole (combo of show and working - show gene pool much larger). The main issue is most of the common sires actually go back to the same dogs. For example Druid is considered a Mallowdale dog but he shares common ancestors (Dai Bach/Siarl) with Warrior and so it goes on....it can be difficult when trying to maintain a strong line of cockers without overdoing it on the inbreeding side since there's so much cr*p about lol.