Screw cutting and the law.

Mr Majyk

right, can anyone give me a solid answer to this question? if you have a barrel shortened and screw cut does it become illegal until its sent to a proof house? ive had an ask around and the most common thing ive heard apart from "i dont know" is that the gun only NEEDS to be reproofed if its going to be sold? and ive heard this from shooters who know there stuff and i have a lot of respect for but i just wanted to throw this out to a wider audience, is this true, i.e. if i were to shorten and screw cut my .22 would i HAVE to have it reproofed or does it only need to be reproofed if i wanted to sell it? and what about if a barrel is only screw cut i.e. the length is not adjusted in any way, its only screw cut for a mod? HELP ME!!! lol :lol:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can screw cut it yourself and use it yourself, but if you sell it or give it away it needs proofing.

And we have a winner,

I had one cut at a gunsmiths, asked if I was going to be selling it?

I said no, reply was that it didnt need proofing, however when I did come to sell it, it would have to be done by law

Now people might say otherwise, but when I did sell it, no RFD would accept it without proof marks ( actual experience) so I got it done to sell

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

I'm in the same camp as the barrister who wrote the opinion for Jackson Rifles. Namely; that if what you are doing to the barrel "significanly undermines it in substance or strength" (I forgot the precise wording he used but it's direct from the Proof Act, then it must be sent for proof before it can be sold or offered for sale, or exported.

Otherwise, it not need to be sent to proof. The general opinion is that screwcutting a modern rifle barrel is extremely unlikely to "significantly undermine it in substance or strength", hence, it won't need proofing.

J.

not sure where heard it but if you are giving it as a gift ie for free i don't think it needs proofing only if your selling it on or trading in

i could be wrong though

colin

nobody i know will screw cut without a reproof anymore - was chatting with a gunsmith the other day, and they are getting leaned on heavily by the police apparently

uk gun works in kettering done my .222 without proof

colin

It's getting hard to find a smith who will do it, but they do exist. My understanding is that the gun must then stay with you until proofed. I'm sure the word "transferred" appears in the wording of the law, meaning that even giving it away or perhaps even loaning it creates an issue?

Having said that I've had a lot of guns without proof marks for the screwcut. Some bought from new and some used. How would you ever know if it was a factory cut or after market job?

It's getting hard to find a smith who will do it, but they do exist. My understanding is that the gun must then stay with you until proofed. I'm sure the word "transferred" appears in the wording of the law, meaning that even giving it away or perhaps even loaning it creates an issue?

Having said that I've had a lot of guns without proof marks for the screwcut. Some bought from new and some used. How would you ever know if it was a factory cut or after market job?

Entirely agree with the second paragraph here. I have two CZ rimfires that are screw cut and lack proof marks at the muzzle because, of course, they were done at the factory.

Mine was a Sako Quad, they only came in a 22" barrel and I had it chopped to 14" so straight away any RFD worth his salt would have known

Strange thing was....it NEVER had any proof marks on it to start with, but when I got it back it was covered....lol

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

My hmr was bought new and came screw cut but has no marks on the barrel muzzle.

So are cz breaking the law ?

My winchester cf was also bought new but was screw cut at the dealers, it was not shortened just screw cut and mod fitted. again no marks.

So if i sold both of these guns 1 would be ok and the other would be illegal to sell or would both be illegal to sell without coughing up a hundred quid or so to get someone to stamp the barrel ?

Are the proof house like a protection racket where you have to pay dues ?

I went to part ex my Remmy 700 22.250 at a local r.f.d , when he asked had i had it chopped down to 22" i said "yes" and i,ve also paid for it to be re-proofed and stamped, his reply was that he was,nt bothered !!

i said he could,nt legally sell it to some one else unless it was proofed, but he was,nt bothered, he said if nobody ask,s i,ll just sell it to them--- at that point i put my rifle back in the case and walked out, never to return to the shop again !!!

shaun

This whole issue is nothing more than a wheeze dreamt up by the proof houses to keep themselves in work/business.

They had lost too much work due to loss of pistols,s/a rifles and the lack of domestic product,they were running out of work basically.

Its one big scam,but they`ve engineered it legally.

post 2 shows a barristers opinion on the matter and that largely it is unenforceable, simply because of how the law is worded and the issue of whether the gun was initially submitted to proof screwcut or not and which owner had it screwcut etc. It can go round in circles but the issues are does screwcutting weaken the barrel and most would suggest it doesn't,

This debate crops up on a fairly regular basis, and despite the wording of the OP there is NO solid answer!

About 5 years back I bought a .22WMR from a RFD that had obviously been shortened and then threaded, it had NO Proof.

About 3 years back I sold the same gun to a different RFD, it still had NO proof.

So that throws out the window all the ... it must have proof if you want to sell it ..... comments.

Whilst many RFD may have concerns about the law many insist on proof simpy to comply with their own insurers instructions, nothing to do with any possible legal implications!

There are elements of confusion and debate here, but a RFD can do what he likes by way of insisting on a proof or not, that does not make it law, it is simply what he wants to do and the way he wants to trade! :yes::good:

Edited by Dekers