Is This Dodgy - Gut Feeling Says Yes - Your Thoughts

danddo

Have my car for sale on Autotrader, had enquiry via email price, condition, etc etc. I replied then I received the following, my gut feeling says it stinks would like your thoughts

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response. I am ready to buy it now as a birthday gift for my brother-in-law. I am at the sea at the moment as I am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone call and visiting of websites are restricted but I just have to squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise package for my brother-in-law so I won't let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I insist on PayPal as my mode of payment because I don't have access to my bank account online and also, I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my PayPal account. I have my bank account attached to my PayPal account, so I will need you to get back to me with your PayPal email address and your final price so I can make the payment for the car asap. Please if you don't have a PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, log on to www.paypal.com and get it set up. After you have set it up, I will only need the e-mail address you used for the registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick up the car after I must have made the payment for the car and funds available in your account.

My Regards.

Edited by danddo

What an amazing command of English your potential buyers has!

TBH, get this type of **** everytime we list items on various non Ebay type sites so like the others say ----AVOID

Now, where's my Bank Details for some poor little soul in Nigeria who has found that their Pastor has suddenly died and wants to share $5000000 with me as I am a good Christian

Send him this:

SIR,

THIS LETTER I AM SURE IS COMING TO YOU AS A SUPRISE SINCE WE HAVE NOT
HAD ANY COMMUNICATION BEFORE THANKS TO THE PIECE OF INFORMATION WE GATHERED FROM THE FOREIGN TRADE OFFICE OF THE NIGERIA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY. THE INFORMATION IS SO POSITIVE AS TO CONVINCE US THAT YOU WOULD BE CAPABLE TO PROVIDE US WITH A FINAL SOLUTION TO THIS $84MILLION DEAL.

I AM MR ALI, THE SCERETARY TO THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF ABU MULTINATIONAL AND BESIDES A DIRECT COUSIN TO THE INCUBENT NIGERIA HEAD OF STATE., THE ACTING VICE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA ISLAMIC AFFAIRS AND A MAJOR CONTRACTOR TO THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA,. FOLLOWING THE CONSTRUCTION OF NATIONAL ASSEMBLY BUILDING IN ABUJA AT A COST OF $105 MILLION WE INFLATED THE CONTRACT COST TO THE TUNE OF $210 MILLION. AFTER ALL FORMAL ARRANGEMENTS TO ENSURE THE SECURITY AND SAFETY OF THIS DEAL AT THE NATIONAL BANK OF NIGERIA,WE ARE LEFT WITH $84 MILLION
I AND MY COLLEGUES WITH SOME TOP OFFICIALS IN THE NATIONAL BANK OF NIGERIA PLAN TO MOVE AWAY THE SAID AMOUNT OF MONEY ($84 MILLION) INTO YOUR ACCOUNT BY AWARDING A NON EXISTING CONTRACT. TO THIS EFFECT, I SOURCE FOR A RELIABLE BUSINESS PARTNER WHO WILL ASSIST US TO CLAIM SOME OF THIS APPROVED MONEY.RECEIVE IT, AND INVEST TOGETHER IN YOUR COUNTRY. FOR A START, WE ARE READY TO APPLY FOR AN IMMEDIATE PAYMENT OF $23 MILLION USD ONLY. THE PROCESS OF TRANSFERING THIS MONEY IS KNOWN TO US. AND WE ARE READY TO SHARE IT ON THE RATIO OF 60% : 30% AND THE RESERVE FOR TAXES AND MISCELLANEOUS EXPENSES INCURED BY BOTH PARTIES WHICH IS 10% ONCE WE CAN JOINTLY FINANCE THE TRANSFER OF THE FUNDS TO YOUR ACCOUNT OR ANY COMPANY ACCOUNT NOMINATED BY YOU. THIS WILL TAKE A MAXIMUM OF TWO FULL WORKING WEEKS.

PERHAPS, IT MAY INTEREST YOU TO KNOW THAT LAST YEAR A SIMILAR TRANSACTION WAS CARRIED OUT WITH ONE MR. JAMES ADAMS SMITH THE PRESIDENT OF CRAINE INTERNATIONAL TRADING CORPORATION U.S.A. WITH TEL/FAX NUMBER:009-1- (707) 885-1377 AFTER THE AGREEMENT BETWEEN BOTH PARTIES IN WHICH HE WAS TO TAKE 25%; THE MONEY WAS DULY TRANSFERED INTO HIS ACCOUNT ONLY TO BE DISSAPOINTED ON OUR ARRIVAL IN NEW YORK, I WAS RELIABLY INFORMED THAT MR. JAMES ADAMS SMITH HAS DISAPEARED INTO THIN AIR, WHILE HIS TEL/FAX NUMBERS WHERE STILL IN EXISTENCE,. THAT WAS HOW WE LOST THE WHOLE DOLLARS. TO MR. JAMES ADAMS SMITH. PLEASE I DO NOT WANT TO ENCOUNTER SUCH EXPERIENCE IN OUR OWN TRANSACTION. FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBTS, I WILL REFER YOU TO NIGERIA LOCAL "TELL" NEWSPRINT OF MAY 17TH,1999. PUBLICATION FOR YOUR PERUSAL. FEEL FREE TO VERIFY THE PUBLICATION IF YOU FIND IT DIFFICULT TO LOCATE I CAN STILL FAX IT TO YOU. DO NOT DISCLOSE OUR IDENTITY OR INTENTION TO ANY BODY PLEASE FOR THE CONFIDENTIALITY OF THIS BUSINESS.

ON YOUR REPLY FURNISH ME WITH YOUR PRIVATE PHONE AND FAX LINES FOR
EASY COMMUNICATION. YOUR FULL BANKING DETAILS AND NAME / COMPANY NAME. WITH THIS INFORMATION WE SHALL APPLY FOR THE PAYMENT IN YOUR NAME. IF YOU FIND THIS DEAL INTERESTING AND WISH TO ASSIST US DO NOT HESITATE TO EMAIL ME . MIND YOU WE HAVE STUDIED AND TAKEN CARE OF ALL POSSIBLE TRACE TO ORIGIN OF THIS DEAL, AS SUCH NO RISK IS INVOLVED FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION. IT IS ALSO TO BE TREATED WITH UTMOST SECRECY. WHEN CONTACTING ME DUE TO SENSITIVE NATURE OF THE TRANSACTION, CONTACT ME DIRECT USING YOUR INTERNATIONAL DIALING ACCESS CODE AND DO NOT GO THROUGH ANY PERSON TO REACH ME. NOTE IF FOR ANY REASON YOU ARE NOT DISPOSED AT MOMENT TO UNDERTAKE THIS DEAL, LET ME KNOW ON TIME AS TO MAKE ALTERNATIVE ARRANGEMENTS.

ALI IDRIS

tell him to pay his collecting agent and then he can pay in cash when he picks the car up. but please dont make pick up to early as you are working nights and your Sargent will not be happy with you losing sleep.

That's what I'd do too. The guy could be genuine and if he is, this shouldn't be an issue.