what makes a good cartridge?

Guest cookoff013

a good cartridge is a consistent performer, with low shot to shot variation.

-produces nice even patterns at set range.

there is no point shooting 1/2 oz #6 loads at geese and say they are the best shells in the world,

or,

shooting a 10gauge 2,1/4 buffered buckshot at mice.

As long as they go bang !! Can pay up to a quid a cart ! And yet a 4 quid box will do the same ...

the quid a bang will be bismuth or similar so legal on wildfowl and will work a lot better than the steel 5's you are comparing them with.

As cookoff says consistency and quality of components do have a bearing as does the load size, but generally a half decent 32g 6 will kill most game. If you start comparing with lighter clay loads which are the cheapies then there is a fair difference if you want clean kills and to be able to kill at a reasonable range. i shoot clear pigeon on most things but do buy a couple of cases of xtreme game for pheasants and I find the difference worthwhile

the quid a bang will be bismuth or similar so legal on wildfowl and will work a lot better than the steel 5's you are comparing them with.

As cookoff says consistency and quality of components do have a bearing as does the load size, but generally a half decent 32g 6 will kill most game. If you start comparing with lighter clay loads which are the cheapies then there is a fair difference if you want clean kills and to be able to kill at a reasonable range. i shoot clear pigeon on most things but do buy a couple of cases of xtreme game for pheasants and I find the difference worthwhile

What are the noticable difference you find mate?