Ford Ranger Diff Lock

White Lodge

Hi All.

I got my 04 Ranger stuck in some mud the other day. I had loaded it with far too many fence posts and with it's huge turning circle I ended up going too close to the boggy bit of my field.

Well, the offside wheels sank in to the mud whilst the near side remained on dry land. With the gearbox in 4L the off side wheels just spun but the nearside wheels just stayed stationary.

So, I couldn't find a diff lock button, either on the dash or in the handbook, does the car have an auto diff lock or does it not have one at all? if it does have an auto diff lock why did it not kick in when necessary?

After removing the posts and with a bit of shovel work and some pushing we got it out ok, but i was a bit surprised by the lack of diff lock.

Any ideas?

Cheers

:)

I have an 06 ranger, when put in 4wd the diff lock automatically comes on but it is only on the front wheels. There's a button on the dash with rfw on it to turn it back off when in 2wd

Limited slip may be one thing but diff lock is somethig else. My handbook doesn't mention diff lock. I'd like a Ranger like yours though as on my 07 plate, that RFW switch relates to Remote Free Wheel. This is very handy as on early 4by4s you had to get out and manually dis/engage the hubs.

Cheers for the replies.

The handbook doesn't mention a diff lock. It would appear to have a limited diff on the front axle hence the RFW button and maybe an electronic diff lock on the rear axle, I'm still Googling it.

I know about the RFW button that is used to put the vehicle back in to 2WD, it is useful as I don't have to get out to disengage the hubs like on my Landie.

I have had the truck for about a year and I use it extensively for the sheep but this was the first time I have got it stuck enough to dig it out. I was quite surprised as I have four new General Grabbers on it, though 80 odd 5" fence posts prolly weigh a bit. Still it's not called the Wet Field for nothing.

Cheers for the replies.

The handbook doesn't mention a diff lock. It would appear to have a limited diff on the front axle hence the RFW button and maybe an electronic diff lock on the rear axle, I'm still Googling it.

I know about the RFW button that is used to put the vehicle back in to 2WD, it is useful as I don't have to get out to disengage the hubs like on my Landie.

I have had the truck for about a year and I use it extensively for the sheep but this was the first time I have got it stuck enough to dig it out. I was quite surprised as I have four new General Grabbers on it, though 80 odd 5" fence posts prolly weigh a bit. Still it's not called the Wet Field for nothing.

Have to admit, I've lost it. We need someone who knows. Are you talking manual or automatic gearbox? Mine is manual and to get out of 4, back to 2WD, you select it on the transfer lever. All the RFW switch does is to disengage the final drive to the front hubs to avoid excessive wear (it also allows you to switch between 2 and 4 while on the move provided the hubs remain locked - ie, the selection is illuminated). I think newer models may well be different.

The Ranger doesn't have a Diff Lock. Diff Lock is generally what permanent 4wds have so like a land rover etc. what a diff lock does on a land rover is to lock the centre diff in the transfer box so the same power and drive goes to the front and rear axles.

The ranger doesn't have these working as it is 2wd and then when you select 4wd you get the same power to front and rear axles to help you keep moving.

The front and rear axle have the limited slip diffs (on some models, others are just normal diffs) which help but in the case of White Lodge having the two wheels in the muck on the one side will mean all power goes to the wheels with least resistance and just spin if they can't get traction.

Did you try reversing sharply as sometimes it'll just drive back out the tracks it went in with or moving your steering left to right when trying to go forward, as sometimes will help you gain a little traction from the tyre side wheels as they catch?

Sorry if I bored you there!!! Lol

The Ranger doesn't have a Diff Lock. Diff Lock is generally what permanent 4wds have so like a land rover etc. what a diff lock does on a land rover is to lock the centre diff in the transfer box so the same power and drive goes to the front and rear axles.

The ranger doesn't have these working as it is 2wd and then when you select 4wd you get the same power to front and rear axles to help you keep moving.

The front and rear axle have the limited slip diffs (on some models, others are just normal diffs) which help but in the case of White Lodge having the two wheels in the muck on the one side will mean all power goes to the wheels with least resistance and just spin if they can't get traction.

Did you try reversing sharply as sometimes it'll just drive back out the tracks it went in with or moving your steering left to right when trying to go forward, as sometimes will help you gain a little traction from the tyre side wheels as they catch?

Sorry if I bored you there!!! Lol

not quite true, some vehicles are fitted with electic diff lock to the axles, the ranger might be one,if it has there will be a big solinoid fixed to the diff

On the newest ranger there is a diff lock switch, as the drive system is alot more modern and fancy with traction control etc, but I thought it was an 04 ranger we was talking about. The switch then is to release the front free wheel hub remotely when your back on the road and travelling home.

The 04 may have some other gadgets fitted but thought it would the same as my 56 pre facelift one I had. You can get front and rear diff lockers fitted that would have helped in this situation but didn't think ford fitted them as standard. Could be wrong though.

no diff locks fitted to them, only rear axle is lsd, new model rangers use the abs system to control traction by braking the slipping wheel to send power to the wheel that has grip, system works well but will be heavy on brake pads if used off road, not working on fords now but have seen discos with this system eat a set of rear pads in under 4k miles when used off road, electric handbrakes on them (the landies) are also a bit fragile if not cleaned out regularly