PIGEON MAGNETS

LENNY

Lenny,

I've got a mate who's just got one, he hasn't had the chance to use it yet but i'm hoping that they are the dogs!!!

i have heard that differant models make all the differance but i think that one has got to be the same as the other, if you know what i mean. One maybe lighter, one maybe heavyer, one mite be £300 and one could be just£70.

At the end of the day, if they work well for "Ripley" then they shound work for you.

Just don't forget to charge your batteries :lol: LOL :D

Adam

:lol: I have used a Magnet for couple of years now and found it to be an excellent woodie puller. Sometimes you struggle, as with any piece of equipment on a 'funny' day but found that the main pattern of my decoys must be to the rear side of the Magnet. Firstly, woodies will tend to go for the pattern, after the Magnet has drawn them. Once the pattern has become quite large (30+ birds), I find that woodies will want to land next to the Magnet and even on occasions I shot them hovering over the Magnet!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am new to on-line pigeon shooting ! Looks like good sport tho'......

Pigeon magnets can be real effective some days and a good deterent the next!

Field-craft is an ongoing learning experience- my advice would be to try it and watch how woody reacts-dont be afraid to change the position of your magnet or even pull it in and not use it.....dont be a casanova "just cos youve got it, you dont have to use it" ! Oh, and make sure the pigeons are facing in the right direction when you set them on your magnet (joking) personally i like to make sure the wire that runs back to the battery is well hidden ......but dont trip over it!! good luck......

Guest flightline

Totally agree that some days magnets are ignored or even deter. But yesterday my magnet worked really well and turned a poor day into a reasonable one. I forgot my frozen birds and had to wait some time to get my two birds going on the whirly as pigeons were few and far between and very shy. As soon as the magnet went on it was like a switch had been pressed and they came straight in. The more I shot and laid out the better they decoyed.

Yes sometimes, No sometimes, If you asked me if they were better than a decent decoy pattern and some well placed flappers 25years pigeon shooting (7 with rotary aids) would say the jury is still out. If you are where the birds want to feed then you will shoot pigeon. I have tried in the past to draw birds from two to three fields away where the landowner would not let me shoot ( Miserable b....r!) but with not much success. Proper field craft and decent weather is the key. in my experience colder the better for rape and dry underfoot for stubble fields.

I agree with Mike, it is better to be where woody wants to feed rather than trying to pull him a couple of fields away. When shooting over rape rotarys help catch his attention when decoys can be lost in the heavy foliage (set em up nice and high).

The thing about the 'Prefered field' is that regular feeding by woody and his mates keeps the feeding area nice and short (not so nice for the farmer!) and if you can place your coys there and make a suitable hide it can work out most favourably.

I remember my first flapper, made from a long hacksaw blade with a line running back to the hide- effective and cheap! Movement within your decoy pattern can make all the difference when the crop makes the decoys hard to see.

Archie Coates often refered to his tactic of throwing a dead pigeon out of the hide and into his decoy pattern as a crossing bird looked like flying by-uninterested in his decoys, apparently with some success........but it has been said that woody is a lot more suspicious and educated in the last twenty years ? any comments on this from you 'Older' birds?.............. :)

• 4 weeks later...

First time I saw a magnet working was in september 2003, a friend invited me for some woodie shooting and I must say I was impressed how the pigeons were falling in. I started to build one myself and after using it, my bags went up. My personal records were broken with 300%. I used the magnet last week on rape in England (I'm from Belgium) and it was beautiful to see how the pigeons came in from hundreds of meters. Some remark, the Ultra light magnet my friend was using did not survived the strong winds and broke up. :D